Author Topic: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?  (Read 17800 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
Okay, I'll have to admit that I have never heard of sous-vide cooking before (except on here).  But, just went and looked it up.  Looks fairly interesting.  I see some people are swearing by these things on this forum.  I'd like to know what all you guys have been cooking with them and the set up you use.  Do you use them in a plastic bucket or in a pot?  Do you use vacuum bags or ziplocks?  Have you found you mainly use it to reheat stuff vs cooking? 

I did see they have a wifi model available.  Does anyone have that model?  How do you like it?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Sous Vide - What's Your Setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:18:18 AM »
Okay, I'll have to admit that I have never heard of sous-vide cooking before (except on here).  But, just went and looked it up.  Looks fairly interesting.  I see some people are swearing by these things on this forum.  I'd like to know what all you guys have been cooking with them and the set up you use.  Do you use them in a plastic bucket or in a pot?  Do you use vacuum bags or ziplocks?  Have you found you mainly use it to reheat stuff vs cooking? 

I did see they have a wifi model available.  Does anyone have that model?  How do you like it?

There is a new section in the forum under Alternative Cooking Methods called "Sous Vide!". You'll find some basic information, and some of our sous vide adventures there. I have the Anova Wi-Fi model. I absolutely love it. Although I think the bluetooth model would be just fine if you wanted to save some money. You don't really need to control the Anova with your Wi-Fi, since it is a "set it and forget it" situation. And timing is not critical either, since you can go way past the minimum time with no ill effects.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Other answers to the questions:
Do you use them in a plastic bucket or in a pot? 
You can use either. I use a 12 qt Cambro square. Someone else uses a cooler. Good examples are shown in the Sous Vide section.
Do you use vacuum bags or ziplocks?
You can use either. I have a vacuum sealer, but you can also use ziplocks (make sure to buy brands that are food safe with sous vide, I think ziplock is) and use the water displacement method.
Have you found you mainly use it to reheat stuff vs cooking?
I use it for both! Although it can't be beat for reheating, it is even more amazing for cooking. The precision controlled temperature cooks things in a way that you can't do with any other piece of equipment.

There are lots of youtube videos out there that will help you see the process in action too. That's how I got familiar with it in the beginning.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:31:00 AM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:26 PM »
Here's a topic that was really started under someone else's thread, and it looked like something that would stand on its' own! 

My setup is the Anova Precision Cooker, WiFi model, a 12-qt Cambro polycarbonate food storage box, with lid, and a 15 qt porcelin-coated canning stock pot (for bigger items, because of the depth).  I also use the FoodSaver Professional III vac sealer. 

I also have a Searzall torch attachment, for browning, that works fantastic!  I use it all the time for eggs, melting cheese, or anything I need a hand-held broiler for.  Pricey, but well-worth it!  Many folks just use a propane torch, but the Searzall converts the flame to convection heat, rather than an open flame, so you don't get the "flame taste" that sometimes comes with straight propane flame contact with the meat.

That's pretty much all you need! 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:24:08 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 07:29:19 AM »
My setup is similar to Tony's, 2 Anova bluetooth, 12 qts Cambro (2) and also a cooler like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZQ80BE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 for longer cook ( I used a 2 3/4" hole saw to cut a hole in the cover so I can slide the anova in. I will not cook nice cut steaks without the Anova anymore... perfect medium rare every times, no guessing!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
Tony, do you have a picture of your searzall torch?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

icebob

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 07:10:17 PM »
A few pictures of mine. You don't need to cover the container unless you are doing a long sous vide for more than a day. Even then, you can replenish the water if needed. I just cover with a couple pieces of plastic wrap, but there are clever examples of above of cutting a hole in the cambro cover, and cutting a hole in a cooler.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
I think I'll be getting one of these as a Fathers Day gift this year.  Do you guys with the wifi model find yourself checking the temps during the day from the office?

I'm also curious what everyone is cooking with them?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »
I think I'll be getting one of these as a Fathers Day gift this year.  Do you guys with the wifi model find yourself checking the temps during the day from the office?

I'm also curious what everyone is cooking with them?

I actually never find myself using the wifi for monitoring the sous vide. Wifi lets you know when the bath is up to temp (doesn't take long, and not critical for dropping you food in). You can set the cook time from wifi. But the cook times are not critical, so setting an alarm is no big deal. And there is no reason to check the bath temps. They don't vary. It keeps the temp within 0.1 degree of your set temp. You do not monitor the meat temp. No probe is necessary. It sits in the bath for a minimum time, then if it is in there for longer, pretty much doesn't matter, It won't overcook. I think if you wanted to save money, you could buy the non-wifi model.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Do you guys with the wifi model find yourself checking the temps during the day from the office?

Want to hear something funny?  I was actually doing this when you posted this question!  Ha!  I had some corned beef in, and knew I wasn't going to be home before the stop time, so I pulled up the app and increased the time.  Then, I check my email and saw this question!  How weird is that??  I really like the WiFi version, so I can see if it's still working OK while I'm away.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:53 PM »
Great minds think alike... And at the same time apparently! 

What's y'all's favorite meat to cook with this device?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:06:40 AM »
What's y'all's favorite meat to cook with this device?

The 4-day chuck roast is my favorite so far. It really takes advantage of what sous vide is good at.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 07:49:47 AM »
4 day chuck here too! followed really close by the 30 hrs eye of round roast, it is really the cheap cut best friend!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 09:16:56 PM »
I just did a couple of 2-day corned beefs - one point, and one flat.  Fantastic!!
Tony from NW Arkansas