Author Topic: GFCI outlet tripped  (Read 9276 times)

gmr3

GFCI outlet tripped
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »
Hello, I have a Model #1 smoker.  Been enjoying it for a number of years now (5+).  Recently, I went to turn it on, and it tripped the GFCI outlet.  This is the same outlet I've been using for years now.  I've plugged other electronics into the outlet with no issue, so I'm pretty sure it's something with the smoker.  Any thoughts on what to check or look for?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: GFCI outlet tripped
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
Likely it is the ground fault plug itself. I don't know why but the do fail.I have had to replace a few over the years.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Limey

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:13:34 PM »
+1 on Brian's thought. Down here in the Keys with the heat, humidity and salty atmosphere I replace all my outdoor GFCIs on a fairly regular basis. Before you do that you should do some diagnostics(I suspect that you already have):
1. Reset the GFCI, plug in the SI and see if you can replicate the fault.
2. If yes then reset the GFCI and plug in an appliance using the same or greater amount of watts. If this trips you have a bad GFCI. If it doesn't then replace the GFCI anyway
3. Plug in your #1. If it trips then you have an issue with the SI.
In this case my guess is that you have got water in the insulation which is giving you a problem.
Take off the back and let it dry out.
Hope this helps.

Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:52:21 PM »
5 years with a model 1??  Congrats!  Too bad it took you that long to find us here! ;)   Glad you finally did, though!

I've seen power wires break, if you've ever snagged the cord (even if you didn't realize it).  If you don't have luck with the plug, I'd remove the screws holding the back panel on and inspect the power cord.  Wear rubber gloves; it's full of 3 layers of fiberglass insulation!  Check the connections where the hi-temp wire plug into the power cord.  Also, check for moisture inside.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gmr3

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the responses so far.  I don't know if this information changes anything - and I should have included it in my initial post - but, the smoker plugs in to an exterior dry box that is a "standard" (aka, not GFCI) outlet.  When I turn it on, the light stays on for maybe a second or two before it loses power.  The GFCI outlet that is tripped is in the garage. 

Assuming that doesn't change the recommendation of changing out the GFCI, can someone give me an idea of how involved that process is ?

I guess the other obvious thing I could do is plug the smoker into a different outlet - maybe the dry box on the front side of the house and see if that makes a difference.

Again - thanks all for your help so far.  Greatly appreciated as I really miss my smoker!

cogGrease

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
There only needs to be one gfci outlet on each "individual" circuit, which tells me that the dry box plug that you use is on the same circuit as the gfci in your garage. Try a different circuit altogether with your SI, and that will tell you if it's your SI, or a circuit issue. Hope that helps. .
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »
I guess the other obvious thing I could do is plug the smoker into a different outlet - maybe the dry box on the front side of the house and see if that makes a difference.

Yes!  Please do!  First course of troubleshooting...try a different plug to isolate if it's the smoker or your plug.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »
If you still can't find a fix, you could try removing your element and putting it in your oven at 250 degrees for a couple of hours.

I had this happen with my old Big Chief smoker and that is what the Big Chief tech support told me to do. Evidently I got some moisture in the element that was causing the short. After doing this the smoker worked for a couple more years at which point I did have to buy a new element.

The other option is to just order a new element right away and be done with it. You can get a new #1 element for $25.99 with free standard shipping.

Also, I agree with Tony. 5 years and it took a problem for you to find us? :) Let's get your smoker fixed and get you integrated into this great group of guys and gals.

Welcome from ND!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
Gregg, I don't know that a bad element would cause a breaker to trip.  I would guess that it just wouldn't get hot any more.  Not sure, though...just thinking out loud.
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
My element had gotten moisture in it which is what was causing the breaker trip. The heating in the oven was to remove the moisture. It worked for awhile after the oven treatment. But, eventually kept tripping my breaker and I got tired of removing the element and messing with it.

I had let it sit outside in a pouring rain for several days and I think that is what caused my problem.

Remember this was all with my Big Chief. So, I am not sure that the same thing could/would happen with an SI element.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Good to know, Gregg.  I was just wondering.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gmr3

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
Hi all,

Over the weekend, I plugged it into a different outlet on a different circuit, and the GFCI tripped.  So, I'm pretty sure it's something with the smoker.

Next, I inspected the chord, and removed the back panel.  I didn't see anything to indicate there was any moisture in the back - all the insulation was dry, wires appeared fine, etc.

At that point, I figured it was likely the heating element, so I removed it, and ordered a replacement.  I thought about putting in the oven as suggested, but figured for $26, I might as well just replace it and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help,
George

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
You'll be getting a bigger element, George!  Yours was a 350w, and the new ones are 400w....win/win all around!  That extra 50 watts does make a difference!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gmr3

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:05:42 AM »
Hi Tony, please forgive my ignorance, but how does that extra 50 watts help? 

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
Hi Tony, please forgive my ignorance, but how does that extra 50 watts help?
It will get hotter much quicker and then won't have to work as hard to maintain temperature.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK