Author Topic: 4-Day Chuck Roast  (Read 10703 times)

johnnytex

Re: 4-Day Chuck Roast
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »
1 thing I found that made me like the Anova more is, I always buy my rib eyes at Sams, the whole slab, when I get home I trim it, slice it in individual steaks and foodsaver them with the spice (montreal steak in my case ) and a knob of butter and in the freezer they go. This way I can go straight from the freezer to the water bath, this is frikkin convenience right there 8)

Bob, how does that effect your cooking time?
Tex From Ennis, TX

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
1 thing I found that made me like the Anova more is, I always buy my rib eyes at Sams, the whole slab, when I get home I trim it, slice it in individual steaks and foodsaver them with the spice (montreal steak in my case ) and a knob of butter and in the freezer they go. This way I can go straight from the freezer to the water bath, this is frikkin convenience right there 8)

Bob, how does that effect your cooking time?

I also put frozen, vac sealed stuff directly into the bath. The frozen thing will lower the bath temperature, so I just start the cook time once the Annova gets up to the set temp. Sometimes I don't even bother to preheat the water if I'm putting frozen things in.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Kari nailed it :) for a steak, I would say about 20 mins more than usual but my steaks usually stay in the bath longer than the minimum recommend time since it cannot overcook, I usually throw my steaks in the bath right after lunch, and take it out whenever I'm ready for dinner.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:12:34 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

icebob

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »
Dinner time ;D I'm just addicted to this! Poor man Prime rib! I think next one will see some smoke before the loooooong bath! Sorry, the best I can do for you is taste with your eyes!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

icebob

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
I started one last Sunday...since I was smoking some peperoni at about 130f, I slammed the chuck roast for 1 hre with heavy smoke... pulled out and proceed as before... tomorrow night dinner... :P
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Durangosmoker

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 11:39:57 PM »
my anova is supposed to arrive tomorrow!  So a quick question: I have read that people slice a roast into individual servings and vac seal them (and cook them) that way.  Is that necessary, or can you seal the roast, and cook it whole, and then carve it to serve?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

icebob

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »
I cook it whole, 4 days at 131f, sear in the oven at 500f for about 4 mins and carve after..... poor man prime rib!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »
I cook it whole, 4 days at 131f, sear in the oven at 500f for about 4 mins and carve after..... poor man prime rib!

+1, Eric... Cook it whole, just like in the smoker!  You can vac-pac sliced leftovers, and reheat them very well in the SV bath, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »

+1, Eric... Cook it whole, just like in the smoker!  You can vac-pac sliced leftovers, and reheat them very well in the SV bath, though!

You want to cook it whole, sear, then slice, so you get a nice medium rare. If you pre-slice, then cook and sear, you will end up with well-done chuck, which defeats the purpose of the sous vide. Leftovers can be vacuum sealed, then reheated sous vide.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Durangosmoker

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
Thanks, all.  My whole roast is in its bag, swimming in its bath.  The unit arrived yesterday afternoon, and I got it going in the evening.  Now I just have to wait, and wait, and wait, until it's done...MONDAY!

Sous vide, the ultimate diet.  LOL

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »
Cool!  Let us know how it turns out, Eric (like we don't already know)!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Durangosmoker

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 01:33:01 AM »
Sorry for the delay in responding, but it was amazing. I had it in a bag with salt, pepper, a couple of sprigs of rosemary, and some shallot/tarragon butter that I got at the local farmers market.  Made a fantastic sauce, and the meat was beautifully pink and fork tender.  First time I'd ever had pink Chuck roast!

DivotMaker

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »
Good job, Eric!  Yeah, kind of crazy having tender, pink chuck roast!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »
+1 Agree!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide