Author Topic: [Solved] Time to Temp?  (Read 5714 times)

SupeRaven

• I'm a Super Computer Geek
    • SuperComputerGeek
[Solved] Time to Temp?
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
I've had my #1 for just over a month and used it for 3 times:
  • 2 racks of pork loin ribs (~7 lbs) smoked with cherry chips
  • A eye of round roast (~5 lbs) smoked with hickory chunk
  • 2 racks of pork loin ribs (~7 lbs) smoked with hickory chunk
Each time my temp has been set to 225F, but the box takes forever to reach it according to my ambient temp monitor (an iGrill 2 mounted ~1" above the smoker's sensor). As you can see from the image below it took 3 1/2 hours (210 minutes) to reach 215F. I smoke on a covered patio, protected from wind, and the temp outside while smoking ranged from upper 50's to upper 60's.

Is this normal? My past smoker was a propane fire and primarily used for tritips and ribs so results will clearly be different.However I've also used my Bro-in-Laws electric Masterbuilt several times for briskets/pastrami and pork shoulders and it typically hit temp in 60-90 minutes.

Update Feb 4, 2016
I emailed Steve and got a response. I thought I'd share details I didn't originally post so others can follow and have info for future troubleshooting.

Temp & Time
I'm using the guide posted by DivotMaker.

Power
I'm using a 10' 12 AWG 3-prong extension into a sole GFCI outlet on a 15 amp circuit. This is the same cord I've used with my brother-in-laws Masterbuilt.

Water
I used a pan of water in my Model #1 during the 3rd session. It was a small disposable aluminum loaf pan with 3/4" to 1" of water. At the end it appeared to have caught more liquid than evaporated. There was no noticeable temp or time difference.

Flavor & Ring
I can't believe I forgot to mention this in the OP, but the smoke ring on my ribs is non-existent, unfortunately I don't have a photo to help show this. The flavor is very faint too. My past propane vs. electric experience has demonstrated there will be a difference in strength between the two heats and why I prefer the gas for shorter cooks. However , my electric Masterbuilt ribs vs. the Model #1 ribs are a night and day difference.

The wood used does smolder and end up as white ash. Smoke is produced persistently through the sessions. Food prepared in the Model #1 is edible, tender, and reaches a safe internal temp. This is my only photo of meat prepared in my Model #1. This is from my first session and they look pretty damn good:

Update Feb 7, 2016

Power
The issue appears to have been related to the 10' 12 AWG 3-prong extension cord. Eliminating it appears to have cut the time to temp in half (90 minutes) as you can see below.

Flavor & Ring
Smoke ring is still non-existent, but the smoke flavor was much stronger, were you'd expect it. Color is even improved. I'm looking forward to trying Cherry again with my Model #1,

Thanks in advance for your input & feedback.
-SupeRaven
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:31:10 PM by SupeRaven »
Sean from LA, CA
Smokin-It #1 Since Dec '15

Texan in Tulsa

Re: Time to Temp?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
I completed the seasoning smoke of my new 3D last night.

The cabinet temp was 57 F when I started and surprisingly I was at 250 F within 35 minutes.  Much bigger unit and larger element, but wouldn't think yours should take that long to reach temp.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SupeRaven

• SuperComputerGeek
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
I completed the seasoning smoke of my new 3D last night.

The cabinet temp was 57 F when I started and surprisingly I was at 250 F within 35 minutes.  Much bigger unit and larger element, but wouldn't think yours should take that long to reach temp.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too and why I figured I should stat my last session and post.
Sean from LA, CA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
I have a #2 and will hit my desired temp (225-235) within 45-60 minutes.   31/2 hours is way out of range...I would give Steve a call and see what he might suggest.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
Sean, is that with the analog controller controlling the element?  That is definitely way too long to reach temp.  I came from and still use propane with my old unit and heat up time does take some getting used to.  I would say that in general, 45 minutes to an hour is typical for these smokers. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »
Sean, have you tested your iGrill probe to verify that it is reading the correct temperature? Possibly a faulty probe? I agree 3 1/2 hours is way to long.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SupeRaven

• SuperComputerGeek
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
Sean, is that with the analog controller controlling the element?

That is correct. I just turn the knob on top to 225F. No PIDs or such being used to control temp.

Sean, have you tested your iGrill probe to verify that it is reading the correct temperature? Possibly a faulty probe? I agree 3 1/2 hours is way to long.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that on the 2nd session I ran my Maverick ET-732 Dual Probe along side my iGrill 2. Temperatures were in the same ball park. There was a 3-5F difference, most likely due to the Maverick's ambient probe positioning clipped to mid-right rack.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:48:39 PM by SupeRaven »
Sean from LA, CA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:35 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Sean!  That is WAY too long.  You may have a bad element.  Call Steve, and he'll make it right.  When I upgraded my #1 to the (current) 400w element, it would reach temp in about 40 minutes, or so.  Yes, the bigger units have larger elements, but much more volume to heat.  The 400w element, in your #1, should work the same, due to size.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SupeRaven

• SuperComputerGeek
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
I reached out to Steve via email and we've started corresponding. We'll start the troubleshoot process to see what's up. I've updated the OP with additional details of the scenario for future troubleshooting.
Sean from LA, CA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:55 PM »
I have a #1, and yes, that is not at all typical. Then I read you were using an iGrill. They are notorious for having inaccurate probes. But since you said you also tested with a Maverick (which are quite reliable), then I have to assume it's either your element, or something wrong with your controller/dial, or the dial just being seriously out of adjustment.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »
You'll never get a smoke ring unless you use a little #1 cure or Tender Quick. That is just the nature of all electric smokers and does not affect the taste one bit.

One question I have is where did you place your water pan? If it was on a shelf that could well be your problem. Putting a water pan on a shelf below the meat causes a heat sink and will mess with the SI temperature.

The water pan should be on the floor of the smoker resting right up against the smoke box.

Not sure if this is your issue but thought I would bring it up.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »
Sean,

The ribs look great.  How long did you smoke them, and how was the tenderness/doneness?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SupeRaven

• SuperComputerGeek
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
Sean,

The ribs look great.  How long did you smoke them, and how was the tenderness/doneness?

The original pic of 2x racks:6 hours in the smoker and a little too tender. Almost falling apart when picking up
The most recent pic of a rack: 6 hours in the smoker and perfect tenderness. Loose bone and still able to cut and pick up without falling to pieces.
Sean from LA, CA