Author Topic: Sous Vide Salmon  (Read 7351 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Sous Vide Salmon
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:43:18 PM »
I like to smoke salmon. A LOT. Hot smoked. Cold smoked lox. And the best way to get salmon at the best price/quality is to buy whole filets. But let's face it, the best part of the filet is the top 2/3 toward the head. Nice consistent thickness. The 1/3 toward the tail is thin, and inconsistent in thickness. But I have many uses for this part. Salmon pasta, salmon cakes, salmon salad, etc. But always designed around unavoidably, imperfect cooking.

And along comes sous vide. It cooks the salmon perfectly, no matter the thickness. Now I can utilize these less desirable sections of the filet, in a way that is every bit as good.

I vac sealed the salmon with a slice of lemon, glob of butter, some dill weed, shallot salt, and pepper. 122 degrees for 40 minutes. Served with steamed broccoli, and fettuccine with butter and parmesan. I am a recipe tester for Cook's Country, and the fettuccine with butter and parmesan was a recipe test assignment. The sous vide salmon allowed me to focus on following the exact instructions for the fettuccine recipe test, without requiring any need for me to monitor the salmon.

Here are the time/temp guidelines I follow for salmon:
Preheat water. Cook 30 minutes, or up to 60 minutes.
118 for med-rare
122 for med-rare+
125 for med
131 for med well
140 for well done (most firm)
Do not cook higher than 140.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:04:16 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

Re: Sous Vide Salmon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:14 AM »
That looks awesome! Nicely done indeed!!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Looks great, Kari!  Btw...where'd you get your water container, and what size is it?  I'm using a 15 qt stock pot, but would like one like yours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:15:43 PM »
It is a Cambro 12 qt Polycarbonate Square Food Storage Container (12SFSCW) that I got from my local restaurant supply store. The height is perfect for accommodating the minimum and maximum water levels of the Anova, and clipping it on the side without the Anova touching the bottom, and plenty of space for food. As well as a nice size and shape for brining pork butts, etc. I would definitely buy the lid too if you want to use for brining.

Here is the actual store I got it from in Madison. More expensive than the two stores below, but literally 5 blocks from my house, and I don't pay shipping.  ;D I buy lots of stuff from there.
http://www.kessenichs.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=207185

Here are a couple online stores with better pricing:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/cambro/12sfscw/p1473305.aspx?selectedProduct=12SFSCW135
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-12sfscw135-12-qt-clear-square-polycarbonate-food-storage-container-with-winter-rose-gradations/21412SFSCW.html
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
Thanks Kari! :D   Ordered from Food Service Warehouse - best price/shipping!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:55:01 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »
Tony, once you get your Cambro... someone on this forum posted a clever idea of an Anova popped through the top of a cooler, for long sous vides, to prevent evaporation (and probably save energy). Here's my version of the 4-day sous vide setup. 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Don't have to add any water. Maybe lost 1/4 to 1/2 inch in 4 days. The hillbilly version of the cooler setup. Or is the cooler setup the hillbilly version of the plastic wrap?

Anova WiFi Sous Vide

icebob

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
I think that was me with the cooler, not my idea tho, when I got my Anova, i just googled anova cooler mod... that was the my inner tree hugger moment!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:17:17 PM by icebob »
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:48 PM »
Thanks Kari!  I ordered the lid, so I'm considering adding a cutout for the Anova!  I doubt I'll use this for brining, so it will be dedicated to SV.  I was thinking a hole in the plastic lid would simplify those 4-day cooks!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
I think that was me with the cooler, not my idea tho, when I got my Anova, i just googled anova cooler mod... that was the my inner tree hugger moment!

That was the cooler pic I saw!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Kari, do you sear your salmon after the bath?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
Kari, do you sear your salmon after the bath?

Most of the time I do not sear. It's really easy to overcook salmon trying to get a good sear. I like my salmon about medium-rare to medium. And I often lap it in a lemon/caper/butter sauce or a hollandaise. I have tried searing a couple times, but in order to sear, you need to cook it much more rare than what you want, to the point where you might as well just start with raw salmon and not sous vide. Unless you like your salmon more cooked-through rather than medium-rare. Then there might be enough wiggle room to get a good sear. If you want to try searing I would suggest:

Give it a try with one piece and see how you like it compared to no sear.
I would definitely only sear one side or it will get dry. Salmon cooks so quickly.
Brush with honey or maple syrup to promote faster browning.
Using something like a blow torch or Searzall might give you a crust without overcooking. Or a screaming hot cast iron pan.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Kari, what a great recipe! I made it last night because we are trying to get more fish into our diets and was not disappointed. I did have to do a little sub as there is no shallot salt to be found in Wichita. I used onion powder and sea salt. Do you think the shallot salt really helps a lot?
Brian from Wichita

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
Kari, what a great recipe! I made it last night because we are trying to get more fish into our diets and was not disappointed. I did have to do a little sub as there is no shallot salt to be found in Wichita. I used onion powder and sea salt. Do you think the shallot salt really helps a lot?

Onion powder and salt is pretty much the same thing. I used Shallot salt, because I happened to have it. The only place I know of to get Shallot salt is at Penzeys. We have two retail locations in Madison, but you can also order from them online. And currently they are not carrying it, because they are trying to figure out how to make it not solidify in the jar (a problem with all onion-based powders/salts). You can use any seasoning you like. Seasoning blends are fun to try too. I usually just use a formula, and vary it depending on what I have. The formula I use for seasoning is butter, an herb, something in the onion family, some form of salt, and pepper. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also like to lap it with hollandaise (after cooking), or make a lemon/butter/caper sauce.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JustChillin

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:48 PM »
Just read some of the earlier post. Kari, you described your setup and/or the cooler setup as a "Hillbilly" setup. I would like to correct you! Hillbilly don't use Sous Vide for cooking  ;D
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

barelfly

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:28 AM »
Here is my first go at Sous vide salmon.  It was very good. Entire family liked it, even my daughter who really doesn’t care for salmon. The thicker part of the filet was perfectly cooked. Dry brined for an hour, then I went with 125* for 45 minutes. A few fresh herbs parsley and thyme along with butter. Then  seared I. The cast iron for 1 minute a side. My son and I only had s/p, wife and daughter had a sprinkle of a rub I make for a little sweetness added.

Thanks for the posts above and on another thread for the guide on this!

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear