Author Topic: DM's Sous Vide Ribeye Steaks (but RG beat me!)  (Read 6133 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
DM's Sous Vide Ribeye Steaks (but RG beat me!)
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
I tried out the Anova Precision Cooker yesterday, for the first time, and used some good 1 1/2" thick Choice ribeyes from Sam's.  Prep was simple:  Sprinkle with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning, and into the FoodSaver bags.  Water temp was set to 129°, for 2 1/2 hours.  The Anova got up to temp pretty quick, and the WiFi control was great!

After the bath, the steaks got patted dry, and onto the Weber gasser for a sear.  I coated them in olive oil, and also used a torch while they were on the grill (to get the edges, and speed the process).  The sear took 4 minutes total!

Results?  Fantastic!  I was amazed at the texture, and taste!  When I took the steaks out of the bag (before searing), there was only about 1 Tbs. of juice in the bag, the the rest was still in the steak!  Very impressed, and will be incorporating this new tool into my smoking!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

Re: DM's Sous Vide Ribeye Steaks (but RG beat me!)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
Told ya it was good ;) I have some in the bath right now!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
Doing chicken breasts tonight, Bob!  Next weekend will be some combo SI/SV treats...just working out the details!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

icebob

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
We had chicken thighs last night! 165f for 4 hrs!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

RG

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »
Looks EXCELLENT Tony! Chicken is killer too, the texture is way different than you're used to. I have to say that my favorite thing so far is Salmon. Cooking it in the bath then a blast on the grill or a hot pan is beyond fantastic! You'll see ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 08:33:03 PM »
Made some SV Salmon tonight. 122 for 30 minutes. Heavenly. Been studying up on SV pastrami. Sounds like 2-3 days SV after low-temp or cold smoking. You might beat me to it, but it is on my radar.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
Sorry...not a salmon guy. :-[   Bet it comes out good, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas

drains

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:57:02 PM »
As this method takes some time do you have to add additional water to the"bath" to make up for evaporation? Lately this method has piqued my interest. I like the idea of paying for chuck roast and having it come out as delicious as I keep reading that it is. Thanks
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
As this method takes some time do you have to add additional water to the"bath" to make up for evaporation? Lately this method has piqued my interest. I like the idea of paying for chuck roast and having it come out as delicious as I keep reading that it is. Thanks

I didn't. After 4 days, I only lost about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Two pieces of plastic wrap does the trick!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
Thanks I may give it a try soon.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »
All of this Sous Vide cooking is intriguing to me and looks like you're all having great results. 
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

icebob

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »
I like the stuff so much I bought a second Anova ;)
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
All of this Sous Vide cooking is intriguing to me and looks like you're all having great results.

Shocked me, too, that I actually tried it!  Kari (SconnieQ) shoved me off the fence!  I'd read a bit on it, over the years, but it always looked like too much in heavy, specialized equipment...I thought it was for the pros only.  The Anova cooker really changed that, for me!  Easy to setup and store, and works incredibly well. 

I think this is going to be a great tool to combine with the SI!  I have a brisket flat turning into corned beef, as we speak.  It will get smoked, at low temp, then finished in the SV bath!  It will be smoky, tender and moist - no steaming necessary!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
I need to get proficient at using the smoking it before I venture off into another cooking method. Until then, I will vicariously through the rest of you.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »
I need to get proficient at using the smoking it before I venture off into another cooking method. Until then, I will vicariously through the rest of you.

Lol.  I hear ya', brother!  One new obsession at a time! :o   We'll forge a path for you, when you're ready to adventure out into the unknown!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas