Author Topic: A-MAZE-N 1st Cold Smoked Cheese Smoked in 3D  (Read 3508 times)

kz0m

• Carl
A-MAZE-N 1st Cold Smoked Cheese Smoked in 3D
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »
I decided to take part of today to try my hand at cold smoking some cheese, my first time but with so much info here on the forum, I was able to gather a lot of information so I took the plunge.
I was going to do one of three things, use the cold smoke plate from SI that I have, try out the Smoke Daddy I received this past week or, try the A-MAZE-N 6" tube.  I opted for the A-MAZE-N 6" tube with about 2-3 oz of Apple pellets.  Man, can this little thing put out the smoke, I was VERY impressed with the amount of smoke this tube gave out for over 2 hours with less than 3oz of apple pellets!!  I put about 1/2 full of apple pellets into the 6" A-MAZE-N tube and lit it with a propane torch, after a few seconds and a little air blowing on the embers, the smoke started to roll out of the tube.
I smoked four types of cheese, Gouda, Sharp Cheddar, Mild Cheddar and Colby.  The 3D started out about 65 degrees and I put a pan of ice between the tube and the cheese.  After 1 hour, I turned the cheese and closed the 3D back up.  Another hour and I pulled the cheese having smoked for 2 full hours and the temperature outside was 75 and inside the smoker it was 81, only raised 16 degrees in two hours.

I padded the cheese to get the moisture off and let it rest for about 1 hour and then vacuum sealed all of it and into the fridge for a couple of weeks +.

Looking forward to trying this apple smoked cheese later on and giving as gifts if it turns out good.

I was VERY impressed with the little 6" A-MAZE-N tube with the apple pellets, very easy to light, I kept the tube next to the bottom drain hole and seemed to get enough air to keep things going.  Since this is my first smoke on cheese, I'll be interested to see after a few weeks how it tastes at 2 hours smoked and adjust from there, I'll add a couple of pictures.  Thanks everyone for all your help on this forum!!

Carl
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:22:23 AM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: A-MAZE-N 1st Cold Smoked Cheese Smoked in 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »
Good info, Carl!  I'm still thinking the BK is probably one of the best options for truly "cold" smoke, but I could be wrong.  I'll be interested to see your comparison!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:11:19 AM »
That is a nice bunch of cheese!

I would recommend letting the cheese air dry to remove the moisture verses dabbing it off. Using frozen water bottles verses loose ice in a pan will help reduce the moisture. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Limey

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
+1 0n Gregg's comments.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
I decided to take part of today to try my hand at cold smoking some cheese, my first time but with so much info here on the forum, I was able to gather a lot of information so I took the plunge.
I was going to do one of three things, use the cold smoke plate from SI that I have, try out the Smoke Daddy I received this past week or, try the A-MAZE-N 6" tube.  I opted for the A-MAZE-N 6" tube with about 2-3 oz of Apple pellets.  Man, can this little thing put out the smoke, I was VERY impressed with the amount of smoke this tube gave out for over 2 hours with less than 3oz of apple pellets!!  I put about 1/2 full of apple pellets into the 6" A-MAZE-N tube and lit it with a propane torch, after a few seconds and a little air blowing on the embers, the smoke started to roll out of the tube.
I smoked four types of cheese, Gouda, Sharp Cheddar, Mild Cheddar and Colby.  The 3D started out about 65 degrees and I put a pan of ice between the tube and the cheese.  After 1 hour, I turned the cheese and closed the 3D back up.  Another hour and I pulled the cheese having smoked for 2 full hours and the temperature outside was 75 and inside the smoker it was 81, only raised 16 degrees in two hours.

I padded the cheese to get the moisture off and let it rest for about 1 hour and then vacuum sealed all of it and into the fridge for a couple of weeks +.

Looking forward to trying this apple smoked cheese later on and giving as gifts if it turns out good.

I was VERY impressed with the little 6" A-MAZE-N tube with the apple pellets, very easy to light, I kept the tube next to the bottom drain hole and seemed to get enough air to keep things going.  Since this is my first smoke on cheese, I'll be interested to see after a few weeks how it tastes at 2 hours smoked and adjust from there, I'll add a couple of pictures.  Thanks everyone for all your help on this forum!!

Carl

Opened a Gouda today after a two week mellowing shrink wrapped in the fridge.  My wife and I couldn't stop snacking on it!  The smoke taste was excellent!  I noticed the very tip end of the cheese was heavily smoked but after that first small cut, the rest of this Gouda was great!  I'll keep the cheddar for another week before trying it.  The apple wood smoke gives the cheese a very good, mild smoke flavor after 2 hours of cold smoking using the A-MAZE-N 6" tube with about 2+ oz of Apple pellets.  Very happy so far after 2 weeks with this cold smoked cheese!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
Yeah, I think Gouda has been my favorite smoked cheese that I have dine so far. I have some Jarlsburg in the fridge waiting to be smoked. I'm looking forward to trying that too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.