Author Topic: Did I do it right?  (Read 3239 times)

airgunhunter

Did I do it right?
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »
My friend helped me do a bypass with an on-off-on dpdt switch. It seems to work. When I am on the bypassed position, the red light is on and the element is heating. When the plug for the cabinet is plugged into the auber and the auber is turned on (before any cooking program starts), the light is on continuously. Does that mean the heating element is on "full bore?"

When I did the autotune program, I noticed the light going on and off while the Auber was adjusting the temperature.

Does that mean, (1) don't turn on the Auber until ready to cook and (2)after the cooking program, the oven will automatically go on to "full bore?" If so, I guess it is crucial to build into the cooking program to run for several hours at 140 degrees or at a low temp until I know I will be around to flip the cabinet switch to off or turn off the Auber.

Can you gentlemen please let me know if this seems right?

Thank you!

Tommy in SC
Tommy in SC

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Did I do it right?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »
Tommy, the Auber will show a green light as full bore until you start getting close to your set temperature. As you get close, it starts to blink to help prevent the heat running past your set temp. You can set something low like 150 and watch to verify that your auto tune is working.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:49:32 PM »
Tommy, do you mean the red light, on top of the smoker?  If so, sounds like you have your switch wired wrong.  The red light is only on when the element is getting power, whether from the Auber or the AC outlet.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

airgunhunter

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
Thanks, Super Dave and Tony.

When my switch is "on" in the auber mode and my unit is plugged in, the red light and element are continuously on. When the Auber is running a program, the light and element go on and off as the temperature corrects. If the switch is in the Auber mode, the Auber is turned on and no program is running, the red light is continuously on.

Tommy
Tommy in SC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
Something's not right.  I'd re-check the switch wiring, or maybe reach out to one of the switch posters.  If the red light on the smoker is on, you are powering the element.  Not sure why it's not constantly "on" when in the bypass mode running a program.  ???

Wait a minute...  What is the Auber program set to?  When you turn the Auber on, it immediately goes into the last "set" program, so this would actually explain why the light is on (initial heating mode).  You need to program the Auber before you plug in the smoker, because it will start the last program as soon as you hit the power button.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:41:00 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

airgunhunter

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 06:04:18 AM »
Thank you. I will try that. I haven't programmed it yet, besides the autotune.
Tommy in SC