Author Topic: Model 2 w/ auber highest temp?  (Read 3697 times)

jlightning

Model 2 w/ auber highest temp?
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
I'm new to the idea of using an auber on my model 2 and wanted to ask some questions before I drop the money down for one.  What is the highest temp obtainable in my model 2 w/ using the auber?  What is the max temp swing w/ an auber?  Can you save cook times and Temps on it for specific cooks?  Would I have to replace the current temp probe or be able to run it down through to smoke hole on the top of the smoker?  Are you glad you purchased your auber?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Model 2 w/ auber highest temp?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »
The Auber will allow you to reach temperatures exceeding the rating of the SI box itself.  BUT, in order to achieve those temperatures, you have to do a bypass of the stock controller so that they don't fight for control of the heating element.  The most recent stated rating for the SI is 375 degrees.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
And no, this will not increase your cook times. The temperature swings are really not a problem for most smokes and do not affect the outcome.

A couple of exceptions would be Jerky and Fish smokes where you do not want the top end of a swing to go over a certain temperature.

The biggest advantage of the Auber is the programmability aspect which allows you to program steps such as what temp to smoke the meat to and what to do when it gets to that temp.

As Dave noted, the ability to bypass the stock controller (many topics on this if you search) allows you to go as high and higher than the max recommended temp of 375.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »
What is the highest temp obtainable in my model 2 w/ using the auber? 375°, in a bypassed unit.  If you don't bypass the stock controller, you are limited to 250 (pass through).

What is the max temp swing w/ an auber?  1-2°

Can you save cook times and Temps on it for specific cooks?  Yes!  Up to 8 saved "recipes," which are just 8 separate saved programs (up to 6 individual settings in each program).  You can also program "on the fly," during a smoke.  Changed your mind, and want to run 235 instead of 225?  No problem!  Just change the program!

Would I have to replace the current temp probe or be able to run it down through to smoke hole on the top of the smoker?  Are you glad you purchased your auber?  Yes, you have to use the Auber temperature probe (unique plug, and calibrated for the Auber).  While you can use a drop-in box temp probe from Auber, I highly recommend the permanent wall-mount probe.  It is not that hard to install, and takes away any variables that you get from differing probe placement with the drop-in (which can be quite a bit). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jlightning

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Is there any videos of the conversion/install to the auber w/ the permanent new probe?  Also if you cook at 375 in a #2 can you achieve crispy chicken skin?  I would assume so but w/ all the moisture the box holds I'm not sure.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 04:36:39 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  Is there any videos of the conversion/install to the auber w/ the permanent new probe?  Also if you cook at 375 in a #2 can you achieve crispy chicken skin?  I would assume so but w/ all the moisture the box holds I'm not sure.

J - Here's the link to how to install a permanent probe, and do the bypass.

Auber Intructions

As for crispy chicken skin, this topic has been discussed more than you can imagine!  Go to the Chicken and Other Poultry section, and do a quick search on crispy chicken skin.  Tons of results!  No need to start a new discussion on it; just join some of the recent ones.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!