Author Topic: Smoked BEER!!!!  (Read 6115 times)

TexasSMK

Smoked BEER!!!!
« on: January 09, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
I just returned from Germany, where I had a great smoked beer.  Any ideas how this is done.  Guessing they do it by smoking the grains prior to brewing.  I am looking forward to hearing from our forum on this.  My son makes beer--I smoke stuff.  How do we do this.....
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked BEER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
It would be cool if Wik sees this as he is a beer maker.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »
Chad??  Wik??  Where are you, man!  It's a smoked beer emergency over here!! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »
To make a smoked beer, you smoke the malt. Typically, a tiny bit of smoke goes a looooooooooooooooong way. It's really easy to oversmoke the malt for a beer.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

TorontoPete

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »
First post.   My wife is from Germany and lived in Bamberg - home of smoked beer and Schlenkerla - famous for smoked beer or rauchbier.  She contends that the story is that town had a fire and they still tried to use what barley that wasn't damaged in the fire.   The beer got this special flavour and the town got used to it...
Didn't verify it... But she says the barley is traditonally smoked.
Peter from Toronto

va_rider

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:30 PM »
Never heard of such a thing, but man, I'd like to try it!  What a marriage of two fine things! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
Stone makes several good smoked beers....

Here's the BeerAdvocate list for Rauchbiers ... see if there's one on the list you can get locally. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/7/?sort=revsD
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 08:10:22 PM »
Wow, Aaron!  Cool site!  Thanks for the link.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
We have some wineries here in Florida that add smoke to wines!

I have not had a chance to try one yet, but it is on my list.

Greg

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I will try this one day and report on it. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Theslacker

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
Howdy - new member here - and an avid competitive home brewer. I actually just bought my Smokin-it #2, which just arrived this week, with the intention of using it to smoke my own grains to make beer that I can submit to competitions. I also have done a variety of research including recently reading an entire book solely on the topic of smoked beers, the history, and how to make them, and the bulk of the book discusses the methods used over in Bamburg to smoke grains and brew. I'm happy to help answer any beer related smoke questions you may have!

To give you a general idea of what they are doing over in Germany to make their smoked beer - think Schlenkerla (one of my favorites), they first aquire beech wood which they store and season for a year or longer on their property. They also have their own malting facility, so they take their own malt and as part of the malting process, they dry the wet malt using smoke from the beechwood. The grain is then allowed to condition (sit) for a period of months, and they then use it in their recipes.

You can actually already buy malt that has been smoked over in Germany - it's very easy to get - look up Weyermann Rauch Malt. They also make an oak smoked wheat, and another company makes a smoked cherrywood malt. However, we like to DIY right, so...

So... to pull this off at home, what you can do is take whatever malted grains you want to smoke - 2-row,  german barley, etc... and buy some beechwood for smoking. Now, ideally we want to cold smoke the grain - if you hot smoke the grain you are likely going to toast it, which is going to change the flavor and color of the grain. When I try this, I am probably going to buy something like the Amaze-n pellet smoker and stick it in my Smokin-it, for a good cold smoking... Or you could try the Smokin-it cold smoke plate. You need to spread the grain out on some sort of rack with air flow - I'll probably make a pan out of wire mesh or something like that, and put the grains in it. You should wet the grains - I've read some people mist them with water, some give them a quick soak - it's really the moisture on the grains that is absorbing the smoke. Then smoke the grain for however long you see fit - try 1-2 hours and see where they are at.

Now - there are lots of other cool beers you can make that have smoke flavor - you don't just have to do german styles. Alaskan smoked porter uses alder wood - I actually did a version of it, and smoked grains with alder. You could experiment with other woods for smoked porter too - cherry wood, maple, etc... I just made a Piwo Grodziskie which is a rare historic beer from Poland that uses 100% Oak Smoked Wheat. At some point I will take a stab at making my own oak smoked wheat and see how it compares to the store bought - I personally didn't find the Weyermann brand to be smokey enough.

Anyway, hope this has been interesting!
Aaron from Vermont
Beer brewing expert -  smoking newbie!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
I find smoking grains to be very interesting. Have many home beer brewer friends that might be interested.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas