Author Topic: Customer Service  (Read 5283 times)

John churn

Customer Service
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
Ordered a new Smoker #1 for Christmas

Used it 3 times so far and it is excellent.

There were some specials added on for Christmas, which include a cord holder. Didn't receive one with my order.

Called Stephen and explained the situation.

Today I received one in the mail. Now that's customer service.

Congratulations to Smokin It

Happy Smoker in Florida

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:08 PM »
None better!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NVW-SSV

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:17 AM »
Similar experience for me on a part that I had broken (power cord plastic strain relief piece), Steve sent me one in the mail, received in 3 days - - - no charge.  GREAT customer service. 

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

drains

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
Where else can you call and talk to the owner of the company? I don't know of any others off hand. Call any of the other major smoker manufacturers and I bet you wont speak to the owner. Simply first class.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
Welcome, John!  Steve will always take care of the customer!  Many happy smokes ahead of you! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tlgrimmy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »
Sorry to be a downer, but figured others out there who are basing their decision to purchase an SI unit off of customer responses in these forums should know. I had a less-than-wonderful customer service experience, and while I'm still happy with/enjoying my smoker, I'm not very confident in Steve's willingness to help me in the future. I ordered my Model 1 on 7-14-16 and noticed a small ad "Santa in July" when checking on my order status a few days later. It mentioned getting a free cover and chip insert with any July orders. Long and short of it is that I won't be getting these items, which isn't a big deal to me, but Steve's method of communicating this was rude and showed little respect for me as a customer. There are a lot of entitled and condescending people/customers out there, but rest assured, that's not me. I simply emailed and cordially asked if the special would apply to my 7-14 order, ending the email with a, "thanks, really enjoying the smoker already." His short, seemingly annoyed reply was, "Our promotion started on 7/16, thank you." I emailed back and mentioned that his response seemed a bit short and to the point, considering I had just spent a considerable amount on his products. He made another short/annoyed reply and has ignored my following email... Maybe he was having a stressful day, but being treated like an annoyance for asking if I my July order would qualify for the July special isn't professional. Again, not worried about the extra products so much, just his rude/disrespectful communication, treating a cordial and excited customer like a pest. If I do end up having any issues/questions, Steve ignoring my email doesn't bode well for me getting a things dealt with.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 10:19:28 PM »
Sorry to be a downer, but figured others out there who are basing their decision to purchase an SI unit off of customer responses in these forums should know. I had a less-than-wonderful customer service experience, and while I'm still happy with/enjoying my smoker, I'm not very confident in Steve's willingness to help me in the future. I ordered my Model 1 on 7-14-16 and noticed a small ad "Santa in July" when checking on my order status a few days later. It mentioned getting a free cover and chip insert with any July orders. Long and short of it is that I won't be getting these items, which isn't a big deal to me, but Steve's method of communicating this was rude and showed little respect for me as a customer. There are a lot of entitled and condescending people/customers out there, but rest assured, that's not me. I simply emailed and cordially asked if the special would apply to my 7-14 order, ending the email with a, "thanks, really enjoying the smoker already." His short, seemingly annoyed reply was, "Our promotion started on 7/16, thank you." I emailed back and mentioned that his response seemed a bit short and to the point, considering I had just spent a considerable amount on his products. He made another short/annoyed reply and has ignored my following email... Maybe he was having a stressful day, but being treated like an annoyance for asking if I my July order would qualify for the July special isn't professional. Again, not worried about the extra products so much, just his rude/disrespectful communication, treating a cordial and excited customer like a pest. If I do end up having any issues/questions, Steve ignoring my email doesn't bode well for me getting a things dealt with.

Hi TL - First off, let me say great to have you with us!  I see that you chose your first post to be a negative one, so hopefully, you'll follow that up with good forum etiquette and take time to go to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.  Maybe even add a first name and town to your signature line.  We like to know our new friends!

I read your post this morning, and have thought about it all day.  I'm going to give you my 2¢, for what it's worth.  Let me be the first to say that, if you have an actual problem (other than not receiving a promotion that didn't start until after you purchased your smoker), you will find that Steve will bend over backwards to take care of you.  He sells a lot of smokers (for a reason, I might add), and I'm sure you can imagine how many emails he gets every time a new promotion starts, from customers who bought just before? 

If you spend any time here, you'll see plenty of posts singing the praises of how much Steve helped them through an issue.  I'm certainly not trying to be rude, but my point is, that your judgment may be a bit premature.  I'm sorry Steve wasn't as cordial as you thought he should be, but he was probably replying to your email while preparing new smokers for shipping, taking orders, or helping someone else (yes, he and Rebecca, his wife, handle all the orders personally...he doesn't have a staff).  He also answers all customer service calls, works with his factory, develops new products, and yes, even replies to emails like yours.  His reply (I'm certain because I know him well) was not meant to be rude, but simply to the point for a matter that demanded no more than a short reply.  Trust me, I've made a lot of trips around this rock, and I've never met someone who cares for his customers more than Steve.

So, if you have an actual "problem," don't hesitate to ask us, or Steve, for help - you will receive it!  This is one of the best communities of helpful folks I have ever been involved with, and is why our community has grown in leaps and bounds!  All I ask is that before you post negative opinions, hang out for awhile and maybe read the hundreds of positive posts that just might change your mind.  Try not to "rush to judgment" to warn others who may be "basing their decision to purchase an SI off of customer responses."  For those prospective owners that are, I recommend you take the time to do a little research here, and elsewhere, about Smokin-It customer service, and it will actually make your decision very clear! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »

Hi TL - First off, let me say great to have you with us!  I see that you chose your first post to be a negative one, so hopefully, you'll follow that up with good forum etiquette and take time to go to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.  Maybe even add a first name and town to your signature line.  We like to know our new friends!

I read your post this morning, and have thought about it all day.  I'm going to give you my 2¢, for what it's worth.  Let me be the first to say that, if you have an actual problem (other than not receiving a promotion that didn't start until after you purchased your smoker), you will find that Steve will bend over backwards to take care of you.  He sells a lot of smokers (for a reason, I might add), and I'm sure you can imagine how many emails he gets every time a new promotion starts, from customers who bought just before? 

If you spend any time here, you'll see plenty of posts singing the praises of how much Steve helped them through an issue.  I'm certainly not trying to be rude, but my point is, that your judgment may be a bit premature.  I'm sorry Steve wasn't as cordial as you thought he should be, but he was probably replying to your email while preparing new smokers for shipping, taking orders, or helping someone else (yes, he and Rebecca, his wife, handle all the orders personally...he doesn't have a staff).  He also answers all customer service calls, works with his factory, develops new products, and yes, even replies to emails like yours.  His reply (I'm certain because I know him well) was not meant to be rude, but simply to the point for a matter that demanded no more than a short reply.  Trust me, I've made a lot of trips around this rock, and I've never met someone who cares for his customers more than Steve.

So, if you have an actual "problem," don't hesitate to ask us, or Steve, for help - you will receive it!  This is one of the best communities of helpful folks I have ever been involved with, and is why our community has grown in leaps and bounds!  All I ask is that before you post negative opinions, hang out for awhile and maybe read the hundreds of positive posts that just might change your mind.  Try not to "rush to judgment" to warn others who may be "basing their decision to purchase an SI off of customer responses."  For those prospective owners that are, I recommend you take the time to do a little research here, and elsewhere, about Smokin-It customer service, and it will actually make your decision very clear!

+1

I read this this morning and wasn't sure how or if I should respond. I think Tony nailed it.

Spend some more time here and smoke some food in your new smoker and you will come to appreciate the many advantages that you will with using this smoker.

Also know that if you ever have a warranty related type issue that Steve will definitely take care of you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »
I bought a laptop computer, and the next week, they came out with the new/better model, for less money. I felt sick about it. There are always going to be "those people" who buy something the week before. This time, I was one of them. I sent an annoyed, but understanding email off to the computer company. I don't know what I was expecting. Nothing I guess. But it made me feel better to vent. I never received a response, nor did I expect one. Someone on this forum bought an Anova for $199. The next week Anova had a sale for $149. Yes, it bothered them, but someone pointed out that the Anova is well worth $199. My point is that this sort of thing happens to lots of people. Steve's response maybe could have been more thoughtful and personal, but the fact is that he receives lots of emails like this. It can't be avoided in a retail environment where sales and specials change. A lot of companies would not respond at all, like with my computer. I wonder if Steve did more harm than good by responding at all. Sounds like it is not in Steve's personality to just not respond. Back to my point, you've got a great product, and worth every penny. I understand your need to vent. I have a feeling a lot of us have been in that position at one time or another. I hope that you will continue visit us here, and let us know what you are cooking, and how it's going.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:47:58 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:21:20 PM »
Tigrimmy,
"I simply emailed and cordially asked if the special would apply to my 7-14 order, ending the email with a, "thanks, really enjoying the smoker already." His short, seemingly annoyed reply was, "Our promotion started on 7/16, thank you."
Are you sure you are not reading more into Steve's response than is there? It seems to be short, succinct and to the point. What more did you expect?
I've had my SI#1 for over a year and if anything I have found him to be proactive in regards to  customer service but I do understand that perception is in the eyes of the beholder.
As others have said....you purchased a great Smoker and have started to participate in a equally great forum. If you encounter problems with your smoker these folks would only too willing to help you and if that fails I'm confident that Steve will do what he can to resolve it.
Hope you continue to participate.

Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:03:02 PM »
No replies, Al.  Hope TL isn't a one "hit" wonder! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »

tlgrimmy,

The only contact (by phone) I had with Steve prior to ordering my 2D was very positive.  However, one thing I don't like about e-mails is that you don't get tone of voice nor can you ask questions or correct something that was said right then.  I have talked to customer service individuals with different companies about an issue, and many times I feel more positive about the problem after a phone contact with the company rep.  Of course, with some companies you don't have the option of speaking with a real person.  With Smokin-it, you get to speak to Steve.  You felt he came across as rude but my guess is that he was totally unaware of that impression.  In any case, you have shared your feelings with us, and I hope it helps.   
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 12:02:39 AM »
tigrimmy - IF you are still following along, welcome to the SI Family. Great company, great service, great smokers. Regarding your complaint, please see the link below.  You will notice that freebies are started and ended at the discretion of SI. You asked a question, got an answer. Short and to the point. Not sure what else you were looking for in a reply.  Rest assured that if you have a problem with the smoker, Steve will do whatever it takes to solve it. He always has and he always will.  Dave

http://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/specialsandexclusions.pdf
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

John churn

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »
Sorry it didn't work out for Ti Gimmy

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
Sorry it didn't work out for Ti Gimmy

+1!  A "one hit" wonder... ::)
Tony from NW Arkansas