Author Topic: making jerky  (Read 2088 times)

Freeport441

making jerky
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:33:36 PM »
I have a 3lb venison roast and want to make jerky but don't have the kit for our smoker.  A friend suggested smoking the roast, then slicing it thin and making jerky in the oven on skewers for several hours...he thought that would be the best jerky possible.  Anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this?  And do I have to use a marinade?  I wouldn't want to cover up the smoky venison taste with some store bought spicy marinade
Brett in Monroe

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: making jerky
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:32 PM »
I would check out the jerky section under recipes. There is a lot of good information there as well as brine recipes.

I prefer to use premixed dry seasoning mixes from High Country and High Mountain Seasonings.

I'm not sure what "kit" you are talking about. The main thing you need is a jerky dryer of some kind. I bought a James Jerky Dryer from SI, but others have made homemade ones with computer or duct fans. It is important to be able to remove the moisture from the well insulated SI smokers.

If you don't have a fan you could follow the directions for the jerky, but only smoke for 2-3 hours in the SI then finish in a dehydrator or oven at 140 degrees.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: making jerky
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:20:36 PM »
Brett, you definitely don't want to smoke a roast first, then slice!  Jerky needs to be cured (with curing salt), then low-smoked to dry it.  I smoke jerky at 140 (even though some say that's even too high); 2 hours in the smoke only, then the rest of the time with the jerky fan.  When it slowly dries, it finishes almost translucent.  If you can't see light through it, it's cooked...not good for "great" jerky!  Check out the jerky section, but remember to not smoke over 140, and be sure to use cure!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!