Author Topic: Pulled Pork Time  (Read 4369 times)

bigben5054

Pulled Pork Time
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
Need a little help.  Put two 9# butts in my model 2 yesterday at 2:00pm.  Having a party today at 2:00pm, figured 24 hours would be plenty of time.  Right now (10:00am) only at 160 temp and worried it will not climb another 35-40 degrees in the 4 hours I have left.  Thermo set at 225 until about an hour ago I cranked it to 250.  Worried about nothing?  Or should I be doing something to speed this up?  Take it out, wrap in foil and put it back in?  Thanks and Happy New Year!.

cogGrease

Re: Pulled Pork Time
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »
I think you'll be fine in another four hours @ 250℉, and I'm sure your guests wouldn't mind a small wait if it needs a little more time. If you have an auber, kick it up to 260-270. You could try and relocate the probes, just to make sure they're not hitting a bone?   Good luck!
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

NVW-SSV

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
Wouldn't a probe near a bone make the probe read too-high?  That's what I've seen, but would like a little advice on probe placement on butts, as well
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Yes, try to avoid contacting the bone when placing your probe in the butt.   I try to aim for the largest part of the meat mass, but again, not touching the bone.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »
Is 160 the top or bottom butt?  There will be a measurable difference between the 2.  At 160, you don't really know where you are in the stall.  I'd wrap with some fluid like apple juice and put back in at 250/260.  Ideal, no, but actually being able to eat takes priority. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 01:07:47 PM »
Foil it. If need be go to oven at 275. Foil will speed the stall.

FYI I ALWAYS need 2 hours per pound. Don't know why... That's just how it is for me... So 36 hours might be what you need at such a low temp.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

bigben5054

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
Is 160 the top or bottom butt?  There will be a measurable difference between the 2.  At 160, you don't really know where you are in the stall.  I'd wrap with some fluid like apple juice and put back in at 250/260.  Ideal, no, but actually being able to eat takes priority.

thanks Dave.  that was the top one.  Now up to 172.  I switched the probe to the bottom one and it is 191...so yes, big difference!  At least we know one of the butts will be ready to serve and the other shouldn't be too far behind.  Maybe I will switch places in the smoker now.  Thanks again!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
You're set!

Maybe next time try to keep the butts on the same rack?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 07:23:55 PM »
Having the probe too close to the bone will cause a reading higher than the actual meat temperature. In a situation where someone is concerned that their butts will not be quite done in time, I don't see a problem with double wrapping in foil, adding a tiny amount of liquid inside (water or apple juice) and finishing in the oven at a higher temp than the stock SI controller is capable of. At that point, they have absorbed all of the smoke they are going to, and it is just a matter of getting them through the stall, and making them tender.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide