Author Topic: 2nd smoke - need a test run before Christmas brisket is attempted!  (Read 8926 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 2nd smoke - need a test run before Christmas brisket is attempted!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
Temp swings, on the stock controller, to 240-245 are not out of range.  It will also drop below 225.  Just set it on 225 and relax.  You really don't have to constantly monitor the box temps...it'll just make you crazy.  The only thing you need to really worry about is internal temp of the meat. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »
Thanks, Divot. Just noticed you responded. Thanks man. I've been editing my prior post with updates. The #2 hit 252 a minute ago (temp is set at 225). Pretty big swing. I dialed it back to 220 and will hopefully keep things under 245 on the upper swings.
Model #2 in in north DFW
New to smoking. Want to find a few things that work and stick to it!

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
Don't sweat it too much.  Temps can swing that much, but they'll "average out" to the right temp.  That's one reason BBQ nerds, like me, love the Auber...no swings!  Fortunately, you're smoking a brisket.  They're pretty resilient, and the swings won't hurt.  Just watch then internal temp to 190, and you'll be fine!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
Cool. And so you recommend I pull the brisket and wrap it when the internal temp hits 190? I've been paying a lot of attention to this guy's writeup, which he recommends pulling at 205.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

"In order to be tender, a brisket must be cooked to an internal temperature of 200-205°F. The reason for this, according to McGee, is that the conversion of collagen to gelatin doesn't even begin until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, and is most efficient as internal temps approach 212°F. "Low and slow" barbecuing at 225-250°F is ideal to facilitate this conversion, providing gentle heat over many hours, allowing the collagen to make its transition into gelatin. While some moisture will be driven out of the brisket as it reaches these high internal temps, the gelatin makes up for it and keeps the meat moist. Of course, the fat layer on the brisket also helps maintain moisture in the meat during cooking, too. 205°F is a very popular finished temperature for tender brisket and is the temp I recommend. I've tried a variety of temps over the years and 205°F gives me the most consistent results"

Model #2 in in north DFW

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:05 PM »
190-195 will yield the best results, in our moist/oxygen-deprived smokers.  Going that high on brisket will give you a dry brisket.  I usually pull between 190-195, double-wrap in HD foil, and rest for at least an hour.  The "carry over" cooking, while wrapped, takes it up another 5°.  Stick to the recipes/tips on here, and you'll have great results in your SI!  Almost 38,000 posters can't be wrong! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
Cool. Will do. Thanks for all the advice. BTW, the #2 just hit 258... crazy high swing from the 225 setting. I'm going to dial it back to 220 for sure, maybe lower. 
Model #2 in in north DFW

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
225 setting to 258 swing isn't out of range.  That + or  - is aok.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 11:10:18 PM »
It explains why my baby back ribs from two weeks ago were dusty dry! (set the temp on those to 235). I need to aim low with the temp gauge with my #2 apparently.
Model #2 in in north DFW

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »
You're smoker may run a little hot, like Brian's (Pork Belly).  No worries!  Just get to know what works in your smoker.  If you have to set 10° cooler, that's OK.
Tony from NW Arkansas

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 12:31:16 AM »
OK - going to call it a night at 11:30pm CST. 13.5 lb packer temp is 131 (probe is in the fat part of the brisket) after nearly 4 hours. Have the temp dialed to 213 or so and the #2 is peaking around 236 (actual smoker interior temps). Have the alarm set by my bedroom window to go off at 165 (brisket probe) and I'll wake up and wrap up the brisket in foil at that point. Not sure it will hit 165 in six hours....but we'll see.

Update #1: Merry Christmas, guys! Brisket has been in the smoker for nearly 12 hours (7:30am CST) and she's at 161 degrees. I bumped up the #2s temp to 225 about an hour ago. I just wrapped her when she hit 162. If my plan is to have the brisket out of the smoker and resting for 90 minutes before we dig in and eat it, I'll need to pull the brisket by 2pm CST today (that is in 6 more hours). Fingers crossed she'll hit the 195 in six hours.

Pix show brisket interior temps at both sides of the brisket after 12 hours (158, 156, and a 182!). First pic is the brisket 12 hours ago when I dropped her in the smoker.

Update #2: She broke through the stall and the brisket is at 172 (14 hours into the smoke). Feeling better about it.
Update #3: The brisket is at 183 and climbing. Good stuff.
Update #4: Pulled it at 16.25 hours at 192 on the probe. The probe slid in very easily throughout the brisket. That wasn't the case when she was at 190 - resistance in the fat end. Have her in the cooler at the moment and will be cutting into it after about 90 minutes.
Update #5: The brisket was a hit, guys. Seriously. Juicy, flavorful, no BBQ sauce needed. Can't thank you guys enough for the encouragement!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:53:37 PM by 71Rcode »
Model #2 in in north DFW

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »
Looks good, 71!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
Looks like a total success 71!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Yeah, total success for sure. Woke up 3x the night she smoked...reminded me of having babies in the house again. Next time I'll know better not to set the minimum and maximum temp alarm limits so close so they start going off at 2am. My wife is already planning "our" next brisket smoke. She's a native Texan and told me without hesitation that I made the best brisket (smoky, juicy, fell apart with a fork) she's ever had. Appreciate you guys.
Model #2 in in north DFW

71Rcode

• DFW
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »
Trying my second brisket (13.5 lbs) in two weeks. Much more relaxed this time around... she's about 15 hours into the smoke and is wrapped in foil (wrapped at 160). The only thing I tried this time was to double foil the brisket and add 1/2 can of beef broth. Anxious to see if she's even more moist than the first time.
Model #2 in in north DFW