Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 18760 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
I've been reading-up on the Anova...looks very intriguing!  Certainly not smoked meat, but I can see the benefit of having this in one's arsenal!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
It's a great way to reheat Q, even straight out of the freezer.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

RG

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
I'll chime in here! I bought an Anova Precision Cooker when they first came out. As a matter of fact, a lot of the Kickstarter supporters of it were left hanging and I was able to get mine before many that pre-paid! That company has a few issues but the product works well. I have the bluetooth version as the wi-fi came later. I hardly (never actually) even use the bluetooth or phone app like I thought I would.

Here is a thread from my old stomping grounds that you can read to see my very first cook using my Anova. Sorry for directing y'all there but it's just easier than making a new post ;)

Sous Vide
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the Anova Precision Cooker WiFi model!  Really looking forward to trying this out!  I look forward to combining the SI methods with sous vide, and exploring new horizons!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

RG

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the Anova Precision Cooker WiFi model!  Really looking forward to trying this out!  I look forward to combining the SI methods with sous vide, and exploring new horizons!

It's a good tool for sure. I need to use mine more. I've made excellent salmon with it as well as soft boiled eggs. You'll enjoy it!
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »
Looking forward to trying it out!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
Congrats Tony! I've been using mine constantly since I bought it. More than I ever thought I would. I'm overjoyed with it. The quality and ease-of-use is excellent.

The soft boiled eggs are great. For extra large eggs, 147 for 1 hour is a good starting point. That will be at the lower end. The whites will be barely set (some might still be loose, but white and barely cooked), and the yolk still runny. Crack open just like you would a raw egg and gently drop over your plate or english muffin. They come out looking like a perfect poached egg. I made some yesterday (should have taken a picture). If you like them a little more cooked, then adjust time and temp slightly. There are lots of youtube videos and time/temp charts for eggs. Salmon comes out super moist and flavorful. The Anova really excels at proteins. My favorite so far is still the first thing I cooked, which is the low-price slab of chuck roast, transformed into a super flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth, prime-rib like delight (in 4 days mind you, some recipes say 2-3 days). I have since cooked numerous rib-eye steaks too. For a 1-1/2 to 2 inch medium-rare steak, 129 for one hour (or two, doesn't seem to matter, I usually go two), then a quick high-temp sear (don't overdo the sear, just need a minute or two per side to get a good crust). Even pink from edge to edge. I will be cooking a rib-eye in the Anova today in fact.

I came up with a little trick for getting a wet marinade into the vacuum sealed bag (since I don't have a chamber vac), if you want to sous vide in a wet marinade. Well, I didn't discover it, I'm sure someone else has thought of it before me (probably on this forum). I freeze my marinade into an ice cube tray, or some other sort of small container. Pop out the frozen marinade and quickly seal in the bag with the meat. Or I suppose you could put a little marinade directly into your bag, freeze it right in the bag, then add meat and seal. You can drop it right into the Anova. Or if you want to pre-marinate (cook later), thaw the cube quickly by dropping the bag into warm water, then into the fridge. Or let it thaw slowly in the fridge. A lot of salt in the marinade will inhibit freezing, so as long as it's not overly salty (and your freezer is very cold), it should freeze enough. Involves a little planning ahead, but aren't we all used to that?

Of course, you can always use a ziplock bag and the water displacement method for wet things, but it's hard to get ALL of the air out. It works quite well, except you might need to weigh it down with something to keep it submerged.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:24:53 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
Thanks, Kari!  I am really excited about adding a new dimension to my cooking!  So much to learn, and so many avenues for experimentation on how to incorporate this with SI smoked meat!  I may have to start a new recipe category for sous vide!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 01:21:51 AM »
I forgot to mention chicken breast. I'm not usually a big fan. They are kind of bland, and often overcooked and dry. Cook chicken breasts sous vide, and it's a whole different animal. So moist. A perfect opportunity to cook in a marinade. A couple other cuts of meat that benefit greatly from sous vide are pork tenderloin and beef tenderloin. Like chicken breast, not the most flavorful cuts (so lean), and easy to overcook, but when cooked properly they are elevated to a whole new level.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »
"This has been a paid endorsement from SconnieQ® for the Anova© Precision Cooker™"

;D ;D ;D :o
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »
Ha ha! I guess I am overly excited about this product.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

RG

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
Ha ha! I guess I am overly excited about this product.

Not meant to make you feel bad! I love your enthusiasm!!
Jason from Conyers GA

SconnieQ

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 03:33:34 PM »

;D ;D Even more excited about the SI though. Had mine about a year, and get giddy just thinking about the next smoke!
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »

;D ;D Even more excited about the SI though. Had mine about a year, and get giddy just thinking about the next smoke!

Me too!  But I have to tell you, I'm giddy about trying the Anova!  Can't wait til it gets here Wednesday!  I'm already thinking of ways to combine it with the SI!  I think a great thing to try would be pastrami!  Smoke it for several hours, really low (like 150), then finish in the SV!  No steaming necessary!  The possibilities are limitless!

I'll probably be throwing a chuck roast in it Wednesday night for the weekend, first!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 02:11:27 PM »
I think a great thing to try would be pastrami!  Smoke it for several hours, really low (like 150), then finish in the SV!  No steaming necessary!  The possibilities are limitless!

I'll probably be throwing a chuck roast in it Wednesday night for the weekend, first!

Just did another chuck roast/steak. About 1-1/2 inches thick. I tried 3 days at 131 instead of 4 days this time. It really was just as good as the 4 day one, except I would say if you like to eat the fat, then that was a little more melty at 4 days.

Pastrami is a GREAT idea! I did a pastrami a few years ago on my WSM, and it was quite bad. Not the fault of the smoker. I made a few mistakes. Mistake #1: bought a "pre-corned" beef. I found one that did not have the pickling spices added to the corning process, but it still did not have the correct taste. Mistake #2: too lazy to steam. Figured it would be tender/juicy enough for sandwiches without steaming. Wrong. Mistake #3: too much pepper on the outside (easy fix, rinsed some off, but sliced quite a bit before I realized this).

I have been wanting to revisit pastrami, this time on the SI. This has inspired me to try it again. So I'm looking forward to your results, and time/temp for the sous vide part. I'm going to try and get beef navel next time if I can, and of course cure it myself. Seems like sous vide would be a perfect substitute for the steaming step, most likely far superior to standard steaming.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide