Author Topic: thermostat is off according to my auber  (Read 2503 times)

sme1684667

thermostat is off according to my auber
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
I have been experiencing much longer than listed cook times with my SI #3 since new - 20 hrs+ for an 8 pound pork butt, and even up to 24 hours. I purchased an auber and while trying to autotune found that the SI rheostat controller was opening the circuit to the heating element at 225 degrees even with the SI manual control set to 250 degrees. I removed the cap and made sure that the rheostat was turned as far as it would go -  and it was. So max temp for my SI #3 is 225 degrees. Any suggestions? Can the rheostat be calibrated beyond removing the cap to ensure full turn of the rheostat?
Steve

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: thermostat is off according to my auber
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »
As far as I know, the rheostat cannot be recalibrated.  If you have an Auber, the best solution is to bypass the stock controller and just put the Auber in charge - cut out the "middle man" in the process!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »
sme, if you thought about installing the Auber permanent probe, the bypass is only about a 5 minute job if you don't feel the necessity to install a switch.  I've been using the bypass for the last year without a switch and have had no issues.  It just requires a 2" to 3" jumper wire.  That could be done when you have the back off to install the box probe. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

sme1684667

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:15:57 PM »
Definitely am considering the bypass. But will wait until I have some experience with the Auber before I decide. I am having to back down to 210 degrees to autotune so that the stock controller doesn't override.

Steve
Steve