Author Topic: Failed first smoke - back ribs - what did I do wrong?  (Read 7021 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Failed first smoke - back ribs - what did I do wrong?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
I am going to go down a different path in my search for a solution.

I do a LOT of ribs some racks are better than others however, if a rack looks pretty good raw generally it will be good smoked.

I agree Sam's, Costco, and Restaurant Depot have massive buying power, but so does Sysco and I have seen them slip some crap product into the supply chain, you can get average meat anywhere. If you feel like your had good meat then it was likely good meat.

turned the temp knob halfway between 225-250. I was aiming for 235.
Let her run outside for 5 hours at that temp. Never opened her up and wasn't regulating the inside temps in the smoker nor the meat.

235 is not hard to find if you look close, also it is better to be a little lower than your target temp than higher. You mentioned you didn't monitor box temp, no big deal I never do. I think your main problem is running 5 hours without checking your progress. My #3 does whole racks to MY preference of tender in 3 hours and 45 minutes to 4 hours 15 minutes but we all agree my unit runs a little hot. They only way I learned how much time i need was by experimenting.

I opened that thing up and checked at 3.5, 4, & 4.5 hours for four of five smokes until I developed my routine. Now I just chuck the meat in, set the dial and come back in 3.75 hours.

Another variable you face is cutting your racks to fit the #2. This reduces mass and changes how they absorb heat. If you follow a post from a guy that loads his #3 to half capacity with whole racks then you try to duplicate his time and temp with your #2 and 2 slabs you will get very different results. This is not a problem just something else to be aware of.

Keep smoking it will all work out, don't be afraid to check progress until your used to it. I realize "If your looking your not cooking" but you can always smoke it longer you can't undue overcooking.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 07:16:25 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and input, gents. My wife announced to the extended family coming over for Christmas that I'm smoking a Christmas brisket. Uh oh... confidence is not super high. I have two ChefAlarms on order, so I'll at least know what the meat and smoker temps are. I'll have more questions in a couple days for you guys.

For now, my questions are:
1) Are apple chunks ok? Should I start soaking them in water for a few days before I smoke?
2) I'm going to go to a butcher to get the beef brisket. Please tell me what I should ask for and how I should prep it for the smoker

Thanks, guys.

#1 -Personally I would not use apple chunks for a brisket. Apple is great on pork or poultry but too mild for a brisket (IMO). Brisket can take a lot of smoke and I prefer mesquite, hickory, or oak for brisket. Also, there is no need to soak your wood chunks before using them. All that is going to do is delay the time that they start to smoke.

#2- I would look for a full packer brisket (one with the point and flat together) in the 12-14 lb range.

+1!  It's like Jimmy read my mind! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Bebe

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »
How does the quality of restaurant depot meat compare to Costco?
well, that depends...
If you buy the $1.79/# from RD is just about the same quality you get from butcher/supermarket (for double the price, btw).
The $2.89/# is the same as Costco's (I believe at Costco is $3.29-$3.59)... Simply put, you can not go wrong with Costco..
Pete
Brooklyn, NY