Author Topic: Here we go  (Read 4878 times)

cogGrease

Here we go
« on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
First time making jerky. My local market had bogo eye of rounds, so I grabbed two 4.5lb beauties out. Got to try out my new 7.5" nesco slicer as well, bonus. Trimmed them up, then weighed and separated. One batch is a self created marinade, while the other is a rebranded store bought honey teriyaki. I'll leave them in the fridge till tomorrow before bed. Hopefully when I wake up Thursday morning I'll have some simple, good,  jerky. Thanks for stopping in!

Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Here we go
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:51 PM »
Do you have a fan, Bill?  Also, did you use any curing salt in your marinade?  I can't emphasize enough the importance of curing jerky, not just marinading. 
If you did not cure, plan on keeping the finished jerky in the fridge, or you will grow mold quickly at room temp.

What's your smoking plan?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cogGrease

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »
Yep, have the jjd! As far as a cure, I used prauge powder, but thanks for asking. I was going to smoke at 145℉ for two hours then turn the fan on for six more hours. 1/4" thick slices, give or take a sixteenth ;D. Any recommendations?
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
That sounds about right.

I would use chips verses chunks if you have them as they will start and stay smoking at lower temps better than chunks.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

cogGrease

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
Will do. I have pecan and hickory. Not sure if I want to try  one, or both together???
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 09:55:45 PM »
Pecan and Hickory have a lot of similar attributes. So, I think the combo would work quite well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
You have it covered, Bill!  Glad to see you used the curing salt.  I like to use 140 for jerky, but 145 should be fine.  I also smoke for 2 hours with about 2.5-3 oz of wood, then turn the fan on.  2 hours is plenty of smoke for jerky slices.  You just don't want to get into that 160 range where you are cooking instead of drying.  Good plan!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

cogGrease

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
You have it covered, Bill!  Glad to see you used the curing salt.  I like to use 140 for jerky, but 145 should be fine.  I also smoke for 2 hours with about 2.5-3 oz of wood, then turn the fan on.  2 hours is plenty of smoke for jerky slices.  You just don't want to get into that 160 range where you are cooking instead of drying.  Good plan!

Thanks, I'm getting everything prepped now. I'll post the results tomorrow.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »
You're making me want to do a good jerky smoke now, Bill!  I did a batch of deer jerky for a friend, a few weeks ago, but didn't get to keep much.  It was good, too!  I'll have to settle for my usual beef, which is fine with me!

Good luck on the smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas

cogGrease

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
The jerky turned out good. A couple of things I want to tweak, but all in all it was successful. Ended up with 3.75lbs, and when I got home this is what was left, although I did take a half pound to work this morning.

Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »
Looks just right, Bill!  Nice job!
Tony from NW Arkansas

cogGrease

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
Thanks, I grabbed another couple eyes yesterday, hard to pass up when they're buy one get one. I think I'm going to try the equilibrium brine this time.
Bill in OHIO
#3 bypassed & Aubered
24" fire pit grill
Barrel grill/smoker

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
Good luck with that, Bill.  If you have questions about the EQ brining, let me know!
Tony from NW Arkansas