Author Topic: A mazine wood pallet maze  (Read 4829 times)

Randy

A mazine wood pallet maze
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »
Has any one tried one of these for cold smoking.I have a number 3 and love it.but for cold smokin I would like Something simple to do it with.I've cold smoked cheese and things but it kind of was a process.I think one of these might just do the trick.What you guys think.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: A mazine wood pallet maze
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »
Randy, feedback has kind of been 50/50.  The issue seems to be oxygen starvation in our well sealed smokers and the chips go out. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »
Check out this thread of mine from awhile back:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2639.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
Thanks NDKose that was a good read.Still not sure. I used ice last belly I did , it was good but almost had the flavor of putting out a camp fire smoke taste .might have to try drilling another hole.All you have to do is plug it with bolt and nut if you are smokin hot.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

pax238

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 01:59:46 PM »
I use a slightly different setup in my #1. I'm using the expandable oval tube version http://www.amazenproducts.com/product_p/oet.htm. I have had to play around with it over 3 cold smoke salmon sessions to get it to work for me.

The first time, I had to re-light it very 30-45 minutes to overcome the oxygen starved seal of the #1. That was a PITA over the course of a 3 hour smoke.

The second time, I slid the drippings pan out to where the curve at the back of the pan was just behind the hole on the bottom of the smoker, and went out every 30 minutes and blew along the drippings pan to create some added airflow. Only had to re-light it every 60 minutes. Still a PITA, but not quite as much.

The third time, I slid the drippings tray out the same way and set up a very small fan in the front of the tray pointed toward the hole (the kind people put into A/V units for a little air circulation http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AXIAL-Muffin-Cooling/dp/B009OXTWZI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage). It worked like a charm. 3 hours of uninterrupted cold smoke, and the pellets were almost all consumed, unlike the other times when around 1/4-1/3 of them were not.

Hope that helps.
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:48:39 PM »
Do you have a pic of your setup Barry?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

pax238

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:46:14 PM »
Do you have a pic of your setup Barry?

Here you go. Smokebox removed and rails/burner covered with foil. A-MAZE-N tube resting on the burner (it is very light, so no stress at all). 2 frozen bottles on an old toaster oven tray on the lowest shelf. Fan on the drip pan that is pulled out until the leading (curved) edge is just beyond the hole on the bottom of the #1 to funnel the air up toward the hole. All that we're missing is the salmon on the top 2 shelves (it was really good - smoked with Alder pellets).

Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
I do not normally have a hard time getting my A-MAZE-N Tube Smokers to stay lit, but I do with my AMNPS. This might be a good option for me to try when using that. Thanks for the pics.
Gregg - Fargo, ND