Author Topic: My first smoke....  (Read 5701 times)

All4One

Re: My first smoke....
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
Thanks. I actually got the biggest butt at my closest butcher. I'll have to find another butcher I think.

I am currently researching vacuum sealers. It's on my list. lol

I'm thinking of jumping right to a brisket next. Any tips? Start with size for a good cook and what's the difference between trimmed and not?
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: My first smoke....
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 07:12:31 PM »
Jason, I recently bought this vacuum sealer. Good price for high quality. I imagine they are coming out with a new model, which is why the close-out price. But this one should fit your needs and then some. And the price brings it down in the range of what a mediocre FoodSaver would cost you.

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-pro140-home-vacuum-sealer-close-out/

For brisket, do you have a Costco, Sam's, or Restaurant Depot near you? Best price and quality. I buy whole packer brisket PRIME, for $3.79/lb at Costco. Try to get a whole packer brisket, untrimmed. Most butchers trim way too much fat off. You can trim excess fat yourself. You'll want to leave a good 1/4 (or more) fat cap. You can cut it in half and smoke on two racks if the whole brisket is too big for your smoker.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide