Author Topic: My first smoke....  (Read 5730 times)

All4One

My first smoke....
« on: November 15, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
So...I'm new here and I've had a great welcome already. Thank you   

I put my first butt in the box at midnight and 15 hours later I'm at 187IT only. I'm hoping my Maverick isn't defective at this point. I figured I'd be done and resting by noon....

I haven't opened the door but I'm tempted to just pull it out now. It's a 6 1/2# bone in butt that's been going at 225...
Any thoughts?
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: My first smoke....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Doesn't sound that odd to me. I did a 6 lb butt once that took 3 hours per pound. Seems that the smaller the butt, the more hours per pound they take. Strange but true. I would trust your thermometer at this point. Sounds pretty normal. You are almost there. But, don't be surprised if those last few degrees take you a couple more hours! You can take off in the low 190s, and rest as long as you can stand it! (But you are probably getting very hungry.) If you are really desperate, you can take it off now and rest. Just might not be quite as tender for pulling, but perfectly okay for slicing. Just allow extra time for your next smoke. I tend to allow A LOT of extra time now for butts and brisket, because a few extra hours rest (if it is done early) is never a bad thing!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
Its working fine.  The little ones take longer than you think.  Just let it go.

Sounds like another hour or so and you'll be letting it rest.

Worth the wait:)

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

All4One

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:31:06 PM »
Im just being impatient. It seems like an unusually long time from what I've read.

But it's done when it's done I guess....

I'm up to 190IT at least
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

SconnieQ

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Butts less than 8 lbs can be weird with the amount of time. Your butt sounds right on track for a smaller butt. Let us know how it turns out.

Mavericks are known for being accurate. It's my go to, and I test it regularly, and after 15+ years, it's within a degree. Of course, I will be getting my MEATER in January. (Can't help but mention that, very excited.) Hope it's as reliable and accurate as ye ol Maverick!
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

All4One

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
Here's a question....

How big of a difference is it between a 2 hour rest and a 1 hour?

I'm hungry lol
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
Pull a chunk or end off if you want, but it will be hot as a devil.

Enjoy.

PS, I meant to second what someone else said, when smoking give plenty of time.  Its not like following a 350 degree oven biscuit recipe.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Rest as long as you can stand it, but if you can only stand it 1 hour, I think we will all understand... it's your first. Rest longer next time. Just eat. You have plenty of smoking years ahead of you.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

All4One

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 06:44:05 PM »
Here's my butt....lol
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

Limey

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
Jason, looks great. Now just be patient and let it rest for a while.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 07:16:08 PM »
Butt looks great, Jason.  But, you need to try and work on rotating your pics 90° before posting.  If you need help, let us know!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
Hey Jason, Butt, looks great I also might suggest a second therm. just to be safe and here is a post that I found when I purchased mine.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=780.msg1853#msg1853
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

All4One

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.
I let it rest for 1 hour only and found the outer layer to be kind of dry.

Was it because of the short rest or the long smoke of a small butt?

I'm looking forward to my next one though!
Jason - Cleveland Ohio
Smokin-It #1
Meat lover

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
Probably the long smoke time on a small butt dried the surface a bit more than it should.  Bigger butts cook so much better.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
Jason, try and not go under 7# on butts and you will find they do much better. Also do yourself a big favor and get a good vacuum sealer.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri