Author Topic: James jerky dyer for dehydrating?  (Read 5702 times)

Aspenextreme

James jerky dyer for dehydrating?
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:11:17 AM »
Looking to possibly to get one if these for Christmas. I know you can use it with jerky but can you use it for other things like dehydrating peaches, bananas, etc?  I obviously would use a different grate if it can be done but wanted to ask prior to purchasing. Thanks.

MichaelKelly

Re: James jerky dyer for dehydrating?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
I'm also wondering if the James jerky dryer works well for doing non-meat products. I suppose specifically, will all my dried fruits and kale chips have a meat/smoked taste?

Aspenextreme

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
I am thinking they would have a smoky flavor which i am not opposed to but wanted to put the question out there. I have a dehydrator already so not crazy about spending 80+ shipping for the dryer to get some smoke flavor if i can still use my dehydrator.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 01:58:06 PM »
I love the dryer for jerky, but have never used it for dehydrating.  I would think that if you wipe the interior down good, clean the smoke box, and foil as normal, you wouldn't get much of a smoky flavor, but I could be wrong.  Dehydrating is just heat and air movement, which the SI & dryer do very well.  If you ever intend to do sausage or jerky, or want to make some good smoky chipotle peppers, the dryer is fantastic, and worth the money.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Aspenextreme

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »
Do you use the dryer when you do cheese ir pretty much for jerky and sausage, etc?  I can still use my dehydrator for fruits inside which is fine.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
I would think that if you wipe the interior down good, clean the smoke box, and foil as normal, you wouldn't get much of a smoky flavor, but I could be wrong.

I think if you have previously smoked meat in your SI, it will need more than a "good wiping down" for fruits, etc., to not end up with at least some smokey taste, but that's just a guess. I think you would need a pretty clean interior, and that would not be worth the trouble. Seems like a dedicated dehydrator would make more sense.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 05:01:57 PM »
I think you're probably right, Kari.  And no, you don't use the dryer on cheese.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Aspenextreme

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:17:18 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. Think i will pass on the jerky dryer and keep using my dehydrator.  Love my si2 though. Been almost a year with it.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »
I have used it for cheese. But, only for the purpose of adding air-flow to prevent my A-MAZE-N from going out. Otherwise it would not be needed.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.