Author Topic: Smoke absorbtion beyond 140 degrees  (Read 3998 times)

prudentsmoker

Smoke absorbtion beyond 140 degrees
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »
I have heard for years that meat does not absorb smoke after hitting 140 degrees and I respectfully disagree with this notion. First of all with double smoked ham (my recipe here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2428.msg16481#msg16481) you can definitely taste the extra smoke. Second, I would think that if it were true we would not have to be so conscious of how many ounces of wood we use. Just my .02 cents worth.

Brian from Wichita

smokeasaurus

Re: Smoke absorbtion beyond 140 degrees
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:21:30 PM »
If meat does stop "absorbing" smoke, does it just build up on the surface of the protein??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
All the hams I have tasted that were supposed to be smoked only had the flavor on the outer edge and nothing in the middle. And believe me have had a lot of ham in my life. My Dad bless his soul loves ham. I for one not so much. Maybe if you take a spiral cut ham and put it in our smokers it might have a smoked taste all the way thru. Hmmmmmm maybe I have an idea for Thanksgiving dinner smoked ham.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »
Not claiming to be an expert here, but from what I have read and researched the smoke absorption continues after 140 degrees. But the amount of absorption or penetration greatly reduces. That why most of us put our meat in as cold as possible so it can absorb the max amount of smoke in the time allotted for the smoke.

I can tell you that I have cut back on the amount of wood that I started using when I first received my smoker. Sometimes the fresh smoke tastes great, but the next day you will notice that the smoky flavor seems to get stronger.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »
I have heard for years that meat does not absorb smoke after hitting 140 degrees and I respectfully disagree with this notion. First of all with double smoked ham (my recipe here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2428.msg16481#msg16481) you can definitely taste the extra smoke. Second, I would think that if it were true we would not have to be so conscious of how many ounces of wood we use. Just my .02 cents worth.

Great observation, Brian, and I somewhat agree.  The flaw in your double-smoked ham theory, though, is that you don't put your pre-cooked ham in the smoker when it's already above 140, do you?  I put mine in cold.  I don't think getting meat above 140 means it will never absorb smoke again, I think it just really slows down while the meat is actually above 140.  When the meat is refrigerated, and re-smoked, it will definitely take on more smoke into the meat.  I have had BBQ that has been WAY over-smoked, and it tastes like bitter creosote on the surface.  I'm no scientist, mind you, but just a guy that tries to use logical explanations to problems.  I believe, as the meat heats up past 140, the molecules at the surface of the meat heat and expand, essentially "closing" the meat.  This is what brining does, except in reverse...it modifies those protein molecules and keeps moisture from flowing outward. 

I don't know that 140 is a hard and fast number, or why it is that temperature.  What I do know, is that if you keep smoke rolling for 12 hours on a pork butt, it will be inedible due to the smoke buildup on the surface.

Really great post, Brian!  I love discussing this kind of stuff, and seeing what everyone's opinions are! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

prudentsmoker

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Thank you Tony. I had not thought of the fact that the ham could absorb when cold. However, I still wonder at what point it becomes too much wood, especially in light of the fact that conventional BBQ restaurants keep their meat under smoke constantly. This may be because ours concentrates the smoke so much more.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
Thank you Tony. I had not thought of the fact that the ham could absorb when cold. However, I still wonder at what point it becomes too much wood, especially in light of the fact that conventional BBQ restaurants keep their meat under smoke constantly. This may be because ours concentrates the smoke so much more.

I think that has a lot to do with it, Brian (concentrated smoke).  If you look at a stick burner, the wood is red hot, and not producing much smoke.  Many add fresh logs, which will.  But, the volume of space and air movement dissipates the smoke considerably.  Our smokers, on the other hand, hold the smoke in a very tight chamber so it is, as you said, more concentrated.  You have to remember, also, that a good amount of "traditional" smoker cooks let their meat spend a lot of time wrapped in foil!  I know that is done a lot to counter the drying effect of the heat source, but could it also be to limit the smoke exposure?  Hmm... hadn't really thought about that side of it before!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
In an off-set, the trick is to add heated wood to a small blaze to keep the smoke to a minimum when adding fresh logs. That is why I like square fire-boxes.....I rest the wood on there for 45 minutes or so and then add them to the fire and put fresh ones on top for the next 45 minutes...rinse and repeat for the next 18 hours or so............phew, makes a guy tired just typing it....think I will plug in the Smokin-It tomorrow  ;)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 11:16:59 PM »
....phew, makes a guy tired just typing it....think I will plug in the Smokin-It tomorrow  ;)

I'm worn out.... :(
Tony from NW Arkansas