Author Topic: iGrill 2 for $65.94 @ Amazon  (Read 8467 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: iGrill 2 for $65.94 @ Amazon
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »
I am very interested in these probes, but decided to do a test today of my own.

I did not have a bluetooth speaker for the test, but I do have a Samsung wireless headset which I tried this afternoon.

For the test I place my Samsung phone in the smoker and closed the door. Then I tried connecting from my headset to the phone, seemed to work for about 12-15 feet (line of sight). But when I stepped behind a wall and was not line of sight, signal was lost completely. I also tried from inside my house (1 sliding glass door) and after about 6 feet signal dropped.

This is pretty much what I expected, but maybe the probes are better at getting the signal out of the box...

For those that purchased the pre-sale, please let us know how they perform.

Thanks Greg

Bluetooth range is pretty poor in general for most things. Will Meater have a better range than others? I'm not sure. That's why I went with the Meater "block". My understanding is you only need a bluetooth connection between the block and your probes (you would place the block within bluetooth range). The block then communicates with your home wireless network, so range is only limited to your own wireless equipment. And also with the block, you would be able to access the Meater Cloud, so you could see what is going on with your smoke from across town, or anywhere in the world you can get an internet connection. For those who only purchased the probes and charger, then the bluetooth distance and obstacles will be more of an issue. But if you purchase the block, I don't see much of a problem. If you had to, you could place the block right on top of the smoker.

I actually have several uses for the probes other than the SI. I use probes in my oven regularly too, and I would think the regular bluetooth connection might be okay for that, but I would still recommend for anyone to splurge and get the block.

Kari,

I think you are dead right, the block should solve the bluetooth range as long as you can place it close enough.

When I read the specs, I also figured I would buy the block. This is really a cool device and I look forward to seeing it released and then hopefully, buying one or two for myself!

Thanks for sharing and being on the frontier!

Greg

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »
I agree this sounds cool.

From my perspective ... Most smokers are not good faraday cages. But the SI units may well be!!!

For example our car and airplanes act like faraday cages .... Which is why you are "safe" when inside of the in a thunder or lightning storm.

My point is the SI units have very very small openings.... So I'm fascinated to see what the feedback is on these puppies!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Glock_21

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt