Author Topic: iGrill 2 for $65.94 @ Amazon  (Read 8422 times)

Glock_21

iGrill 2 for $65.94 @ Amazon
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:55 PM »

Amazon has the iGrill 2 for $65.94 for 13 more hours.

I have seen mixed reviews on this unit but that is a good price if anybody is looking for one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC4KU42?ref_=gbps_tit_s-3_0822_41271475&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: iGrill 2 for $65.94 @ Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
Travis thanks for posting, I have been a prime members for years and did not know they did pricing like this!

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:00:29 PM »
Greg

Similar to "deal of the day" from amazon is www.woot.com

1st thing I check each morning.   Amazon owned, everthing is $5 shipping
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Glock_21

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »
Travis thanks for posting, I have been a prime members for years and did not know they did pricing like this!

Greg

I find a "Deal of the Day" bargain every once in a while.

SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

grogorat

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
I just bought this one: real simple to use (2 buttons), splash-proof, and the probe cable is rated to 700F for a short time.
Thermoworks DOT is on sale for $34.00
www.thermoworks.com
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:38 AM »
Have always been intrigued by the iGrill's graphing and phone app. But sounds like the probe accuracy/quality is questionable, and the bluetooth connection doesn't seem to work well for folks. I'm looking forward to receiving my MEATER 4-probe and block in January! No more wires, and real Wi-Fi.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/story
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
Have always been intrigued by the iGrill's graphing and phone app. But sounds like the probe accuracy/quality is questionable, and the bluetooth connection doesn't seem to work well for folks. I'm looking forward to receiving my MEATER 4-probe and block in January! No more wires, and real Wi-Fi.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/story

That really is an incredible-sounding unit!  The link you gave says available in March '16...how are you getting January?  I am definitely considering this, but not sure I want to be the Guinea pig!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »
Early adopters that funded the Kickstarter project (I also ordered the 4-probe block) are scheduled to receive their units in January.

I am crossing my fingers that they make their deadline and the product works.

In theory, it is an absolutely awesome idea.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
Early adopters that funded the Kickstarter project (I also ordered the 4-probe block) are scheduled to receive their units in January.

I am crossing my fingers that they make their deadline and the product works.

In theory, it is an absolutely awesome idea.

It is, Gregg!  I'm looking forward to you all's reviews!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
That really is an incredible-sounding unit!  The link you gave says available in March '16...how are you getting January?  I am definitely considering this, but not sure I want to be the Guinea pig!

Gregg and I, and quite a few others on the forum, funded the MEATER when it was on Kickstarter. There should be plenty of guinea pigs around here. We will receive ours in January (hopefully) as Gregg mentioned. Their goal was $100,000, and they ended up with about $1,250,000. I see they've added another $250,000 on Indiegogo. Indiegogo funders will receive the second wave, in March. If they work as described, these guys will be rich.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:40:43 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:14 AM »
Keep us posted, I am very interested to see how these babies perform!

If they do half as good as they say, I want one, or maybe two!

Greg

Glock_21

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

The "meater" sounds awesome.  I'm curious to see how well it works from inside a multi-layer stainless steel box.

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »

The "meater" sounds awesome.  I'm curious to see how well it works from inside a multi-layer stainless steel box.

Should be no problem for the bluetooth signal to escape...as long as there is an in or out for air, which there is. See the Q&A section of their Indiegogo page:

Question: Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that would significantly reduce the wireless range of the MEATER probe?

Answer: In theory, a "Faraday Cage" will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be "Faraday Cages."

A good "Faraday Cage" has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a "Faraday Cage." They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

Also, there are a few MEATER backers in the comments section who did their own testing using a Bluetooth speaker to test the effect of their BBQ grill on Bluetooth signal range. They too have found that it made no noticeable difference.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 03:58:26 PM »

Should be no problem for the bluetooth signal to escape...as long as there is an in or out for air, which there is. See the Q&A section of their Indiegogo page:

Question: Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that would significantly reduce the wireless range of the MEATER probe?

Answer: In theory, a "Faraday Cage" will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be "Faraday Cages."

A good "Faraday Cage" has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a "Faraday Cage." They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

Also, there are a few MEATER backers in the comments section who did their own testing using a Bluetooth speaker to test the effect of their BBQ grill on Bluetooth signal range. They too have found that it made no noticeable difference.

I am very interested in these probes, but decided to do a test today of my own.

I did not have a bluetooth speaker for the test, but I do have a Samsung wireless headset which I tried this afternoon.

For the test I place my Samsung phone in the smoker and closed the door. Then I tried connecting from my headset to the phone, seemed to work for about 12-15 feet (line of sight). But when I stepped behind a wall and was not line of sight, signal was lost completely. I also tried from inside my house (1 sliding glass door) and after about 6 feet signal dropped.

This is pretty much what I expected, but maybe the probes are better at getting the signal out of the box...

For those that purchased the pre-sale, please let us know how they perform.

Thanks Greg

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »
I am very interested in these probes, but decided to do a test today of my own.

I did not have a bluetooth speaker for the test, but I do have a Samsung wireless headset which I tried this afternoon.

For the test I place my Samsung phone in the smoker and closed the door. Then I tried connecting from my headset to the phone, seemed to work for about 12-15 feet (line of sight). But when I stepped behind a wall and was not line of sight, signal was lost completely. I also tried from inside my house (1 sliding glass door) and after about 6 feet signal dropped.

This is pretty much what I expected, but maybe the probes are better at getting the signal out of the box...

For those that purchased the pre-sale, please let us know how they perform.

Thanks Greg

Bluetooth range is pretty poor in general for most things. Will Meater have a better range than others? I'm not sure. That's why I went with the Meater "block". My understanding is you only need a bluetooth connection between the block and your probes (you would place the block within bluetooth range). The block then communicates with your home wireless network, so range is only limited to your own wireless equipment. And also with the block, you would be able to access the Meater Cloud, so you could see what is going on with your smoke from across town, or anywhere in the world you can get an internet connection. For those who only purchased the probes and charger, then the bluetooth distance and obstacles will be more of an issue. But if you purchase the block, I don't see much of a problem. If you had to, you could place the block right on top of the smoker.

I actually have several uses for the probes other than the SI. I use probes in my oven regularly too, and I would think the regular bluetooth connection might be okay for that, but I would still recommend for anyone to splurge and get the block.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide