Author Topic: Santa Maria BBQ Night! - Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans  (Read 18719 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Santa Maria BBQ Night! - Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
“Santa Maria BBQ Day” was a great success!!  In fact, my wife told me it was one of the “best meals” I’ve ever made!  Certainly not meaning to brag, but my first attempt at a pinquito bean recipe was absolutely out of the park, and the best bean side dish I’ve ever had (and that’s saying something, at my age!).  The bean recipe could easily be a standalone meal, all by itself!

On the menu:
4 lb USDA Choice Tri-Tip Roast over red oak
Pinquito Beans (my recipe)
Garlic/Parmesan toasted French bread
No salsa, this time.
Prep for the tri-tip:

Santa Maria steak seasoning:
5 Tbs. kosher salt
2 Tbs. fresh-ground coarse black pepper
2 Tbs. granulated garlic
2 Tbs. dried parsley, rubbed in hands to grind finer
4 Tsp. demerara sugar
Coat cold meat with olive oil, and sprinkle steak seasoning on just before smoking.  No need to allow this to rest in the fridge.

Pinquito Beans:
1 lb dry Lompoc Bean Co. pinquito beans
7 slices thick-cut Wright’s bacon (hickory), cubed into ½” squares
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 large Anaheim pepper, chopped
1 can Rotel original
1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
1 Tbs. sea salt
2 Tbs. light brown sugar

Directions:  Soak beans in cold water for 10 hours, then change water and simmer on medium heat for 2-3 hours.  Drain beans, but keep 2 cups of the bean water after cooking.  Do not add salt to the beans while they are cooking in this stage; it makes the skin tough!
In a cast iron Dutch oven, cook the bacon cubes, stirring often.  Remove cooked bacon to a separate bowl, and drain bacon grease, except 1 Tbs.  In the hot pan, add chopped onion, garlic and pepper, stir to brown.  Add in bacon, Rotel and enchilada sauce, mix thoroughly.  Add in beans, salt and brown sugar, and enough of the leftover bean juice to make the beans wet, but not too soupy.  Continue to simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally.

Santa Maria Tri-Tip Roast:
While the beans were simmering, I trimmed the roast, and placed back in the fridge, so it would stay as cold as possible before smoking.  If I were going to cook this on the grill, I would have left it out to warm to room temp, then seasoned.  But, my goal was to smoke first, at low-temp, then reverse-sear.

When it came time to smoke, I set up the #2 to smoke to 128 internal temp, at 200.
The meat was oiled and coated with the Santa Maria seasoning, and straight into the smoker.  When it hit 128, I removed it and reverse-seared it on a 550° Weber gasser (just a few minutes per side).   I wasn’t sure how long this would take on a tri-tip, but thought it would be 1 – 1.5 hours…wrong!  At 2 hours, I was still 10° away, so I bumped the temp to 220 to speed it up a bit.  Next time, I will use 210 (like I do with prime rib), and allow 2+ hours.

While the roast was resting, I heated the garlic bread:

Garlic Bread:
I intended to grill this, but the Packers were playing, so the bread got a quick trip through the broiler!  I used:
1 loaf fresh French bread from Wally World (actually really good French bread), sliced in half (tops & bottoms).
1 stick of soft butter, combined with grated parmesan cheese and garlic salt.  Just eyeballed the amounts, stirred it and coated the bread
In the broiler, on high, just long enough to brown the tops.

The Tri-Tip was sliced lengthwise, across the grain, about ½” thick.  Very tender and juicy!
All in all, my prep paid off very well for this dinner!  I was absolutely thrilled how well it worked out, and how good it tasted!  The seasoning, the red oak smoke on beef, just perfect!  The beans were out of this world, and of course the fresh garlic toast was a great topper!
This one will be a repeat, for sure!

...I hope Scott approves! ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:21:43 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Santa Maria BBQ Night! - Tri-Tip and Pinquito Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
Yum! Both are now on my radar! Never had either one. Tri-Tip is more popular out west than here in Wisco. Difficult to find here, but I know I can find it. And the beans sound awesome. Not familiar with Pinquito beans, but will be researching those. The beans sound like a good place to use my trimmings from the 10 pounds of bacon I'll be smoking in a week. Not sure if I've seen pinquito in our mainstream markets, but I'm sure I can find them somewhere...
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanks Kari!  Pinquitos are unique to the Santa Maria area - only place they are grown!  The best deal I've found is the Lompoc Bean Co.  They have a flat rate shipping box, so I filled it!  5 lb bag of pinquitos, 2 lbs yellow beans, and 2 lbs navy beans.  Pinquitos are a red bean, but don't taste like any red or pinto bean.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Pinquitos are a red bean, but don't taste like any red or pinto bean.

How would you describe Pinquito Bean flavor/texture as compared to other beans? Creamy? Meaty? If I can't find them around here, I'm definitely going to order them.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
They are firmer, and creamier tasting than pintos or red beans.  Hard to describe...unique.  I doubt you'll find them locally in WI.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »
That's a great bean resource! Just ordered 5 lbs of the Pinquito's. Like you, I filled the rest of 15 lb shipping with other beans, including yellow beans. I've never made anything with yellow beans before, so if you have a favorite recipe, let me know.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »
A big California thumbs up for ya  8) 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Bebe

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
They are firmer, and creamier tasting than pintos or red beans.  Hard to describe...unique.
sweeter than pinto and creamier... the juice is very, very tasty and they stay kinda firm. Personally, i never add any sugar.
20# (10 bags of 2#) is around $50, shipped. So the price is just about the same as any other beans at your local grocer. They make a great refried beans too!
Tony, thanks for recipe, i'll definitely try it! I'm still curious if Lompoc yellow beans are similar to canary (which i find locally, Goya brand).
Pete
Brooklyn, NY

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »
A big California thumbs up for ya  8) 8)

Thanks Scott!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
I'll let you all know on the Lompoc yellow beans; haven't tried them yet.  I hear they're really good for white chicken chili, which is probably what I'll try them with!  Not sure about canary beans - never had them.  Supposedly, they keep their texture better than other white beans (great northern).  I also got some of their navy beans.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
sweeter than pinto and creamier... the juice is very, very tasty and they stay kinda firm. Personally, i never add any sugar.

Perfect description!  I really liked the little bit of sweetness to offset the other ingredients, in this recipe.  2 Tbs. in a pot that big wasn't much.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Bebe

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:51 PM »

Pete
Brooklyn, NY

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »
We'll have to check into that, Pete.  Could be the same bean!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:35 PM »
Canary seems like it is probably the same as Yellow beans. Also got Lima, Christmas Lima, Navy, and Fava from Lompoc. Don't care for Great Northerns. The skins pop and fall off too easily compared to others. Lompac doesn't carry them, but I feel compelled to mention my dislike for Kidney Beans, of any color. Gritty, boring flavor.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:51:06 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the bean recipe, I plan to give it a try soon!

Greg