Author Topic: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project  (Read 36568 times)

va_rider

Re: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »
I'm an avid kickstarter backer... about a dozen projects at this point. Of those, only one has been an utter disappointment when I received it. I'm still waiting on several projects from almost 2 years ago though. They all seem to hit problems along production. Especially when they far exceed their projections.

I have gotten some great stuff through Kickstarter though. For instance:
My Belt is from Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klikbelts/klik-belts-upgrade-your-belt
I got an awesome water repellent fabric softener: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044033654/sofft-super-hero-of-fabric-softeners-blocks-stains
My absolute favorite hot sauce and spicy pickles...(I've order a LOT from him since the kickstarter) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/329062845/organic-bhut-jolokia-ghost-pepper-hot-sauce-and-pi
A fun 3-D printing pen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351910088/3doodler-the-worlds-first-3d-printing-pen
An entirely new type of deck/drywall screw: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outlawfasteners/screwing-reinvented-the-worlds-best-deck-screw

But then there were the not so great ones.....
Cat Toy - Over a year late... still got nothing: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1046165765/egg-the-intelligent-cat-companion
This piece of garbage: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817146541/boss-a-titanium-mutli-tool-that-puts-you-in-charge   The only thing it actually does well is open bottles. Nothing else is as advertised. The hex spots are neither metric nor SAE. The "screwdriver" is way too wide to fit in the head of any screw known to man. Even the keychain slot is too thin to fit a dang keychain loop in it.
Counter-top kegerator : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620669801/synek-any-beer-ever-made-fresh-on-your-counter  was due in June. Haven't seen anything yet. They added $55 in shipping after the fact. The very few that have received their unit are reporting that it doesn't come with fill hoses for the bags, regulators break, no-one can fill them...

So... it's a mixed bag. But I have fun being part of the process. When I backed the Meater, I also backed a kitchen knife Kickstarter that promises to be a better quality, but cheaper option for kitchen knives... Don't get me wrong, I love my Wustoff's, but I have to sharpen the damn things all of the time, and in sharpening, am noticing a lot of defects in the blades.

Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 07:03:17 PM »
I also backed a kitchen knife Kickstarter that promises to be a better quality, but cheaper option for kitchen knives... Don't get me wrong, I love my Wustoff's, but I have to sharpen the damn things all of the time, and in sharpening, am noticing a lot of defects in the blades.

I thought about funding the Misen knife, but couldn't get excited about the handle colors. I think it will be a winner though. I probably have way too many fancy knives.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »
I also backed a kitchen knife Kickstarter that promises to be a better quality, but cheaper option for kitchen knives... Don't get me wrong, I love my Wustoff's, but I have to sharpen the damn things all of the time, and in sharpening, am noticing a lot of defects in the blades.

I thought about funding the Misen knife, but couldn't get excited about the handle colors. I think it will be a winner though. I probably have way too many fancy knives.

I also have Wustoff's knifes, but these look really interesting. I have not done a kickstarter before, can I still get in on the price for the knives ?

Greg

SconnieQ

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
Don't see a pre-order opportunity now that funding is over. Maybe you could contact them through Kickstarter personal message.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
Don't see a pre-order opportunity now that funding is over. Maybe you could contact them through Kickstarter personal message.

I checked their website and it looks like once they start shipping they will only be $5.00 more.

Greg

Glock_21

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »

Are these in anyone's hands yet?  Opinions?  Reviews?

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »
Not yet. No firm date on when the first pre-orders will ship, but it won't be in January for sure.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
Looks like we now have a new estimated date of June/July. Hopefully this date sticks!  :)

Note from the Apption Lab team

--------------------

Behold: The fully assembled MEATER Probe!
Gorgeous hand model and assembled MEATER Probe!

We received the new ceramic handles last week and have begun evaluating the mechanical assembly. Our test results are looking fantabulous so far proving that our latest mechanical design is robust. There are still plenty of tests to go through and we will keep hammering at it (figuratively)!

Torque results: 20kg-F/cm (44lbs.-F/cm) on the handle. What does this mean? Super strong assembly!

In parallel, we’ve continued our hardware/electrical validation of the newly designed probe PCB including BLE antenna performance. The results so far are what we calculated, giving us more confidence in the current design. We would like to show you more of how we assemble and validate the product but would like to err on the side of caution to ensure our design and processes remain a trade secret until the product is actually shipping.

Once we finish validation (mechanical and electrical), we will begin the CE and FCC certification process =)

We are now producing 10x more units than we originally planned and certain processes needed to change in order to accommodate the increased volume. The changes have added delays but at the same time, the volume gave us leverage with vendors to improve the components and design of MEATER. With that said, we estimate the delivery world-wide to be in the June/July time frame.

Thank you for hanging in there, we appreciate your patience very much! We have been working “sleepless” nights to make sure MEATER “meats” your expectations. We’ve set the bar very high because we are doing something that has never been done before, and of course, we will never sacrifice quality for haste. In order to do that, we are not cutting any corners and believe, despite delays so far, that it will be well worth it. Thank you again for your love and support!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 09:15:27 PM »
Ordered one last night, looks like a nice item!

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »
Haven't ordered yet, but I plan to get one of these when they're up and running.  Great concept!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
I was disappointed with this latest pushback on the delivery date...beginning to wonder IF they're ever going to ship. 
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
I am still cautiously optimistic.

We just got the following update today:

Wood you care for an update?

MEATER Block – from hundreds to thousands. We cannot say it enough times, but our backers have really propelled us to the big leagues =) We’ve now been able to receive attention from numerous suppliers to get the best materials, prices, and production priority. We’re currently reviewing samples and negotiating with our suppliers to ensure the highest quality product. Here’s a glance at different MEATER Block samples:

On the hardware/software front, our Bluetooth chip is now communicating with the MEATER app. It’s looking good so far and we hope to show you a sneak peak of the MEATER app and probe together soon.

In other news, we have begun talks with a certification lab and received the costs involved to get MEATER tested for safety (e.g. CE, FCC, RoHS, etc.). We look forward to beginning the test process soon.

In the meantime, hang back, learn another BBQ technique, and in no time, it’ll be closer to MEATER delivery. Thank you again for your support!
Catch you on the seared flip side,

Joseph, Teemu and the Apption Labs Team
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to see you guys review these once received. Looks like a great product if it works as advertised.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 12:07:11 AM »
Anyone get one of these yet?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 12:38:59 AM »
Latest estimate for first shipment is late July/August.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide