Author Topic: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project  (Read 36557 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project
« on: October 19, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
Check this project out. It has me VERY intrigued. I'm sitting here thinking "take my money, I want one".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom?ref=fundedtoday#project_faq_148569
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:37:56 PM »
Want...one...now! So do a lot of other people considering the success of their crowd-funding campaign. $100,000 goal, and now up to nearly $1 million. Thanks for posting!!

I have looked into an iGrill, but iGrill has a couple issues for me:
1) Accuracy of the probes is not good.
2) Bluetooth connection is unreliable, even within short distances.

Sounds like the Meater is using high quality probes, but is bluetooth, unless you buy the block. The ability to use your home WiFi network is huge for me. I really love the idea of graphing your temps over the entire cook. But have not been sold on the iGrill. Thinking seriously about funding this, to get an early release. These guys are going to be RICH!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:51:29 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
Alright I am really impressed what I see with the Meater. I even considered jumping in and spending the money. But my real concern is with our smokers being stainless and really well constructed the ability of the bluetooth working with them.

For now I will wait, it sounds like these babies should start showing up in the next 3 months.

Greg

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:50:18 PM »
I funded... at the level where I get the 4 probes and block, which uses your own WiFi network. I am a sucker for this kind of stuff. Hopefully January delivery. I'm either an idiot or a genius for jumping on it. Indoor ovens are also heavy steel and well insulated, so if it is designed to work with those, seems it should probably also work with the SI.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »
I may still op in to buy a set but first plan to do a test.

First I will pair my headset with my cell phone and then place the phone in the smoker and close the door.

It should be interesting to see what kind or range I do or don't get. I am out of town until Friday, so I will post my results then.

Greg

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
Good plan. In their FAQ section, they address this issue (Faraday Cages). Below is the Q & A, but you are totally right to be concerned. Our SI's are much better sealed than other smokers and grills.

Q: Aren't BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens essentially "Faraday Cages" that would significantly reduce the wireless range of the MEATER probe?

In theory, a "Faraday Cage" will block RF signals from entering and exiting the cage. The good news is that BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are not built or designed to be "Faraday Cages."

A good "Faraday Cage" has no gaps, slots, and holes; Are usually made of thick conductive material and designed with as little individual parts/pieces as possible (i.e. every joining edge or corner between materials are spot welded, etc.).

In reality BBQ grills, smokers, and ovens are anything but a "Faraday Cage." They have plenty of large air vents and gaps. If air and smoke can enter or exit your BBQ grill, smoker, and oven, then it'll be easy for 2.4GHz radio frequency to enter and exit through the same gaps and holes.

Also, there are a few MEATER backers in the comments section who did their own testing using a Bluetooth speaker to test the effect of their BBQ grill on Bluetooth signal range. They too have found that it made no noticeable difference
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
Funded for two probes and the wifi block. Not too worried about the signal blockage...the smoke hole will all the signal out as will the door...all that built up smoke on the edges prevents a good electrical signal seal.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

va_rider

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
Yep, I backed this one as soon as I saw it...4 probes and a block. It sounds great if it works as advertised.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
Funded for the 4 probe/block.

I absolutely love the concept. Both internal and ambient temps from one probe is genius!

I hope they can deliver on the concept.  :D
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »
I funded for a block and 4 probes about 5 minutes after I posted this link!  ;)

I'm a sucker for this kind of tech as well and the wireless freedom really opens the door to "revolutionary" in this arena. I still love my HeaterMeter (doing some PID tuning and script optimization lately if folks are interested - http://bbq.tonylyne.com) but if this "Meater" pans out I might have a hard time figuring out what to use when.

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
Wow, over a million dollars pledged so far!

I wish I had it for this weekend. We are going to be smoking 75lbs of venison snack sticks (finishing up processing from our 2014 hunt) and use two smokers to run 25lb batches at a time. This would allow me to monitor the smoker and internal temps from both smokers at the same time from the same device!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
They just notified backers that they are now the #1 project on Kickstarter. Obvious that this is something people find exciting.

Tony from Marion, IA

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
Came after my money today...long wait till it ships in January!
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

SconnieQ

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
With all of the stretch goal features they have to add, and the large number of product they need to manufacture just for backers (preorders are also possible now), I will be surprised if we receive them in January. I'm going to guess it might be February.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide