Author Topic: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project  (Read 36592 times)

LTS

Re: The Meater (wireless meat thermometers) - Kickstarter project
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
 I emailed katielyn # meatermaid  she said the same thing about the probe placement. In their video
they put the probe in an oven with a window, also on the grill they leave an iPad at the grill $$$$$
for me right now I`ll just leave the old 732 maverick out on top, and just for the heck of it I tried
using the 732 to help with the signal of the probe and no luck. You think they would have some way
to boost the signal. Do i have a fancy indoor unit ?

Paul

Gilwell

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
I had all these same issues and concerns when I reviewed my Meater back in July: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6404.msg58758#msg58758

I have decided that it's way more trouble than it's worth. I'm not leaving my iPad outside, even in an Alabama winter (we actually had snow last week!).

I hope the developers enjoyed our money!

Jim

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
Maybe it will only be useful for indoor/household oven use. Has anyone found the probe to be accurate?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Poor accuracy and poor signal strength, I’ll probably use it with my bbq grill, whenever I cook burgers or something. 
Hey, this is a GREAT opportunity to have the Smokin-it units installed with BT technology 👍. Even my little Davy Crockett Green Mountain Grill has it and it works great!
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »
I hadn't followed this while I was away.  I'm sorry to hear the Meater just hasn't worked out.  I developed my opinion that it would be a hard road for them while dealing with Ted at Fireboard.  He's a smart cat, and really gave me an education on hardware and challenges faced in wireless temp monitoring.  The mil-grade technology is out there, but none of us would want to afford it just for BBQ!  Maybe, some day, this technology will be the norm, not the exception.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LTS

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
  Hey Tony
   First off glad your back. Thanks for your post on the meater probe I was hoping to somehow boost the signal. when I emailed them with my problem I also said to them when I grill a steak I use an instant read
thermo. and today most home ovens have meat probes with a lot of options Also my signal dropped while
 using it from the kitchen oven two rooms away. I think it was you that had a wait and see opinion I did the same

Thanks Paul

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
Paul, they had a very lofty goal, and I believe their vision will someday be reality, even for us "normal" folks.  Unfortunately, putting that much capability in such a small, heat-proof package is something only defense contractors (with really big budgets) have the capacity to accomplish.  Someday, though...  :-\
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
YEAH!!! I received my Meater Block over the weekend!

I haven't tried it yet, but am excited to give it a shot.

It looks really good and the signal seems to be much stronger than my stand-alone Meater.

The proof will be in the pudding when I do my first smoke in the Smokin-It smoker to see if I can maintain connectivity. According to the Tech Support Folks, they are telling me that I should be fine.

I am hoping that I can prove all of the naysayers wrong on this. :)

I am not sure when I will give this its first test, but will update when I have more information.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
YEAH!!! I received my Meater Block over the weekend!

I haven't tried it yet, but am excited to give it a shot.

It looks really good and the signal seems to be much stronger than my stand-alone Meater.

The proof will be in the pudding when I do my first smoke in the Smokin-It smoker to see if I can maintain connectivity. According to the Tech Support Folks, they are telling me that I should be fine.

I am hoping that I can prove all of the naysayers wrong on this. :)

I am not sure when I will give this its first test, but will update when I have more information.

I received my Meater Block too over the weekend. Not sure when I'll have time to thoroughly test it out, but I'll be watching for Gregg's results if he is first.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
Greg/Kari,

How did the meater block test out for you guys?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
Greg/Kari,

I waited 3 years for this thing... and haven't had a chance to test it out. ;D Ideally I wanted to smoke a pork butt and stick it like a porcupine. That would test all of the probes in the same smoke, plus it would be a long smoke, so I'd see how well it maintained a connection, and if the probes had enough battery power to get through. I might be doing a butt this weekend, so I'll let you know.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »
Greg/Kari,

It has been so dang cold here and snow every other day, so I have not done any smoking.

I just cleared the 4 foot drift off of my deck a couple of days ago and I now have a 2 footer out there again with more snow expected on Wednesday and Thursday.

The joke around he is that they have moved the ice house removal date to July 1st. :P

Hopefully sometime in March I should be able to smoke a butt again. I am really anxious to test it out too.

Looking forward to Kari's results as well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
Y'all could send them to us down here in TX so we can tell you how they work!   We can have them back by the time your snow melts...  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2019, 04:49:16 PM »
Y'all could send them to us down here in TX so we can tell you how they work!   We can have them back by the time your snow melts...  :)

LOL  :) :o  :-\ :P
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Durangosmoker

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
Just got my Block today, and am charging the probes. Hopefully sometime this week I will get to smoke something.  Weather here has been horrible, too, but things seem to be warming and snow is finally melting. Will post results.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.