Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 5596 times)

Hulk

Dumb question
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:56:07 PM »
I'm new to this world of cooking. My smokes are coming out so good the neighbors start circling the driveway on Saturdays when the smell of smoke hits the neighborhood. However, what exactly is an auber, what does it do, and why would I want one? Sorry for the dumb question but how else will I learn.
Smokin-it #2
Weber Genesis Series Special Addition
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

smokeasaurus

Re: Dumb question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:01 AM »
The only dumb question is one that you don't ask.

Got a good bunch around here that love to help out  8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:53 AM »
Hey Nfaa, I have 2 of the Auber pids, since my #3 is about 2 years old and my #1 is less than a year old. There was a newer version for it. What is does is it controls the temp. swings to a +/- 1 degree in the box. Also it allows you to program 6 steps on a smoke. Most I have ever used is a 4 step program and normally just will use 3. On the newer versions it also allows you to store programs. Do you need it to turn out great q from a SI nope. But, for the geeks it is a must. I also like that you can place a permanent mount wall temp. probe that will give to good control on the box temp. I am sure others will also chime in on this post. I know that you cannot add your name to the signature but could you put which smoker you have and maybe a city. Thanks and hope I did shed some light on your question.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
Bill has it pretty much covered.  I'll just add that the Auber also has a meat temp probe, so the programming of the smoker can either be related to time, meat temp or both.  The +/- 1 degree temp swing ability doesn't really lift my skirt but the programming capability is super, super nice. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »
Hulk (I'm gonna call you that because of your profile pic, and sounds a lot cooler than NFAA),

The Auber PID controller is not required to make great Q.  But, what it does is take a great smoker and make it exceptional.  Having used 2 models of the Auber extensively, let me give you my "pros and cons:"

Pros:

1.  Totally eliminates temperature swings of the analog controller, and allows you to maintain a "true" low-temp.  While those swings average-out, I wanted consistency, especially at low-temps.  For example, if I want to maintain exactly 140° for smoking jerky, I want 140!  Not 120-170.  I don't ever want to get to the range that cooks, vs. heats for drying.  Many that smoke fish (especially salmon) also like the consistent temp.  Also, I find the consistent temps, for regular smoking, give me more consistent times.

2.  Programming.  The units have 6-8 steps (depending on the model).  So, if you want to automate temperature changes, based on a trigger of either time or internal temp, the Auber is great!  Say you want to smoke something at 140 for 2 hours, then up the temp to 225 until the meat hits 150...you can easily do this.  Want to "hold" a pork butt, at a safe 140° for 6 hours before it's served?  Easy.

3.  If you bypass the stock controller, by simply connecting the 2 power leads to each other, instead of the knob on top of the smoker, you can exceed 250°.  Not that you use it that much, but if you want to run your smoker at 325°, you can!  Again, flexibility!

4.  Use of a wall-mount probe removes errors that you get tuning the Auber with a drop-in probe.  It makes it very accurate, and simplifies setup.

Con:

1.  It's a separate unit from the smoker, and has to be hooked-up each smoke.  Having the Auber integrated into the smoker would eliminate this negative!

Other than that, I have no other "cons!"
  I love the Auber, and would never go back to the analog controller on the smokers again!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hulk

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:40:14 PM »
I can live with Hulk.
Smokin-it #2
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
I can live with Hulk.

;D Knew we'd get a name! lol.  Throw it in your signature line, and you will be henceforth known as Hulk!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 10:55:51 PM »
I recommend smoking for 6 months to a year without the Auber to see if you really need it. Unless you have the cash to burn. It is not necessary and you can produce great food without it. I originally wanted one but don't feel the need now, I have better uses for that cash. Good luck.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »
Brian, I don't think anyone "needs" one but it is a definite prerequisite to true Lazy Q, IMO.  Any anyone that spends money on an expensive meat thermometer is almost there and it doesn't do anything to assist in the smoke effort. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Hulk

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 01:20:06 AM »
Changed my name to Hulk now I just need to get off newbie status.
Smokin-it #2
Plenty of campfires
Northeast United States

TexasSMK

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »
Stay active on the site--I was a newbie not to long ago.  Welcome Hulk.  I have the Auber--I really like it-I did the by pass and the wall mounted sensor.

Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »

We've all been there, Hulk!  Just stay active, and participate! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:32 AM »
Hey Hulk, Glad to see a name sort of, I am Bill not elkins20. Just teasing, the bypass and the mount of the permanent wall probe is very easy. I must warn you not to get a square switch as is very hard to cut thru the stainless steal. On my #3 I use a toggle switch and just had to drill a 1/2 inch hole. But, on my #1 I wanted a green square switch, which required me using my dremel which was ok just had to get a special cutting wheel. Later found I needed 2 of them but, did get it done. The auber I have on the #1 is the newer version. Would not trade either one for a million dollars. And as others have said the temp. are very precise. This is what I like, when I set my smoker for 235 it stays at 235. Before the temp. swings was driving me crazy.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri