Author Topic: Cheese with external smoke generator  (Read 10862 times)

Limey

Cheese with external smoke generator
« on: September 10, 2015, 05:06:47 PM »
Today I smoked ten pounds of upstate NY cheddar using apple wood and an external smoke generator. The IT of the cheese was 34 going in and 54 coming out after three hours of smoke. Ambient was around 85. Cheese is now vacuum packed and mellowing in the fridge.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cheese with external smoke generator
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
Nice job! I am totally out of my smoked cheese and need to get on it soon.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 05:51:27 PM »
What Gregg said!  Without an external smoke generator, just praying for some cooler weather. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:16:51 PM »
Roger,

What is the external generator are you using for the smoked cheese.

Also, from the things I have read (I have not yet smoked cheese) three hours seems long?

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
Roger,

What is the external generator are you using for the smoked cheese.

Also, from the things I have read (I have not yet smoked cheese) three hours seems long?

Thanks Greg

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Daddy-Magnum-P-I-G-Generator/dp/B00E683N92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441932451&sr=8-1&keywords=smoke+daddy

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »
Wow, this would buy a lot of cheese.....

Just saying  :)

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »
Nice custom-build on the holder/setup, Roger!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Greg, I actually use the Big Kahoona size generator by Smoke Daddy. It retails for $125 with free shipping and, yes, that does buy a lot of cheese. However with winters in the Keys and summers in Upstate NY cold weather is hardly ever on my agenda(thank goodness!). Normally I smoke cheese for about two hours but in this case the elapsed time was three hours because I was not happy with the amount of smoke during the first hour. In fact the fire went out. You tend to forget that with one of these you are essentially tending a very, very small stick burner.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
Greg, I actually use the Big Kahoona size generator by Smoke Daddy. It retails for $125 with free shipping and, yes, that does buy a lot of cheese. However with winters in the Keys and summers in Upstate NY cold weather is hardly ever on my agenda(thank goodness!). Normally I smoke cheese for about two hours but in this case the elapsed time was three hours because I was not happy with the amount of smoke during the first hour. In fact the fire went out. You tend to forget that with one of these you are essentially tending a very, very small stick burner.

Hey Roger,

Some of the things I buy, you could also buy a lot of cheese :)

Really $125.00 is really not a bad price, since you could use it for fish, cheese and bacon.

One of my goals it to smoke some mozzarella for my home made pizza, so I may consider the external smoke generator.

Thanks Greg

Limey

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Greg,
These things work great if you like to cold smoke and do it in hot weather. I don't think that the smoke quality is quite as good as we get from the SIs but it is still very good tbs. I have a couple of them(one at each house along with a #3) and use them regularly. In fact a bunch of king salmon from a recent fishing trip is about to go in the smoker.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
Greg,
These things work great if you like to cold smoke and do it in hot weather. I don't think that the smoke quality is quite as good as we get from the SIs but it is still very good tbs. I have a couple of them(one at each house along with a #3) and use them regularly. In fact a bunch of king salmon from a recent fishing trip is about to go in the smoker.

Hey Roger,

I see that you have the smoke going in the top of the SI, I take it that the smoke exits from the drain hole in the bottom of the SI?

Greg

Limey

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »
Greg, that's right. I have tried it with a long tube in through the blowhole and pumping smoke out at the bottom of the unit i.e. by the smokebox. However the smoke is sufficiently cold that its natural tendency is to sink down so I have settled for a short tube with smoke in at the top and out at the bottom.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
Limey, does the smoke daddy need to be vertical to smoke? 

Limey

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »
Dave, yes pretty much. I suppose you could run it at maybe a 45 degree angle but it is really designed to be vertical.

Walt

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
Limey,

Originally, If I remember correctly, you installed the Big Kahuna useing 2 cord hangers. Did that not work well? Is the new setup home made & hows it working for you? Santa's bringing the Big Kahuna so I would like to learn from your experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated. South La & the keys have very similar summer weather. Thanks for putting this on my radar.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill