Author Topic: Bypass instructions for a 3  (Read 3349 times)

allmann

Bypass instructions for a 3
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:14:11 AM »
I have looked through the 5 pages and don't see the bypass instructions. I am hungover so that could be the problem, but I am looking to do this today. Is it different than any other model? should I place it to the side of the original one or closer to the top?  I am not very good when it comes to this stuff.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Bypass instructions for a 3
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »
Kevin, are you just doing a bypass or are you also wanting to add a switch?  I just went with the straight bypass and it is the same for all models. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

allmann

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »
I would like to add the switch, but really it is just a safety precaution, right?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 09:57:20 PM »
Hey Kevin, Get a dpdt toggle switch, you can find one at Lowes. On my #3 I put the switch to the left of the red light. You will need to drill a 1/2" hole for the switch. Also if you have an auber and a permanent wall sensor then it is a 5/16" hole. You will also need to buy about 3' of 14 gauge wire to make your bypass. It is really pretty easy to do.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

allmann

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
Its all done with the switch and all.  I have to autotune it now.    I ran a program to 305 down to 225 and back up to 315. I left my maveick probes in there to read the temp.( I have had a feeling they have been off since I got them)  They read anywhere between 10 and 40 difference from what the PID said.

The sensor for the PID is almost centered and about 1" below the first rack.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

allmann

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
Auto tuning now.   Set up the same program that is suggested by the SI website.  It has not followed it at all. It has gone as high as 179 and as low as 127 after. It has been varying from 136 to 154 for an hour. Now I am 1.5 hrs in to it and seems to be floating back and for between 137 and 144. Is this normal?   Is it working itself to the first temp hold of 140?   Does it really matter to put a program in if that is what it does?  I am new to all of this and just trying to understand it.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
Kevin, if you are using the drop-in temp probe, the autotune is very subjective.  Moving that sensor just a little can actually effect the tuning.  I recommend the wall-mount probe, which absolutely eliminates probe error.  But, it you use the drop in, be sure to find a location near the top, not against the walls, and a place you can repetitively put the probe, for best results.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!