Author Topic: Brisket flat questions  (Read 5808 times)

74redone

Brisket flat questions
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
Do u guys smoke fat side up or down? I have tried a few now and they have turned out good but the bottom s get kind of tough. I have been smoking fat side up thinking the fat would go into the meat. I am also smoking to a IT of 190. I normally slice it instead is pulling apart. Is 190 still a good temp or should it be lower twmp. I do rest the brisket in foil wrapped in towels for 2 hrs after it hits 190. My briskets are good I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to make them even better.
Thanks guys!
S2 and stand

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Brisket flat questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »
Brine and injection improves a flat.  As for temperature, I smoke until a probe or a toothpick slides in and out very easily with no tug. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
+1 on Super Dave, also I would take to 195 internal temp. and do fat cap down. At least that is how I did my last brisket. I think most people here do it with fat cap down. I just did a search in beef fat cap up or down. I seen 8 posts all fat cap down.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:03:31 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

drains

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:35:54 PM »
Fat cap down for me. Fat renders out and also acts as a heat shield between the meat and the element. You don't want too much direct heat as it tends to dry the meat out. 195 is about right on the temp.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
I prefer to go fat cap up and create an artificial heat shield, getting the best of both worlds.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 02:12:34 PM »
For me I do the fat cap down.

Since I don't inject and penetrate the fat cap, I believe it holds the injection better. But if you search you will find it works both ways.

Greg

74redone

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
I prefer to go fat cap up and create an artificial heat shield, getting the best of both worlds.
That's kind of what I do with a foil pan half filled with water. Brisket is on the top shelf and pan is on the bottom shelf. Do u guys use something other than water? 

S2 and stand

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
I have done two briskets so far, one with the fat tap up and the second time with the fat cap down.    While little validity in an N of 2 briskets, but the first one with the fat cap up was more moist than the second.  I can't say it is because of the fat cap position, but I wonder if having the fat cap on top allows the fat to work down through the meat similar to a boston butt?    I am not sure at this point which way I will go on the third brisket.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
That's kind of what I do with a foil pan half filled with water. Brisket is on the top shelf and pan is on the bottom shelf. Do u guys use something other than water?
My experience has been that water pans on a shelf end up being fuller than they started at the end of the smoke.  I put a pan as you describe as a shield and a dripping catcher.  A true moisture pan is a pan of water either on top of the wood box or nestled up along side of it. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »

I just used water, I have tried Apple Juice and did not notice any difference, I don't think you will either.

Just my 2 cents :)

Greg

drains

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:20:58 PM »
I use plain water, tried apple juice, cola, beer and didn't notice a difference.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 01:04:38 AM »
I too just use water, have tried the apple juice as for the beer that is for drinking.  :o
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
Brisket goes fat side down, because heat rises. The fat layer protects the meat side from the direct heat. Although if this is just a flat it is likely been heavily trimmed already and the "Fat layer" is more of a fat residue.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:30:15 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »
+1 for fat cap down, and water in the pan.  I also brine and/or inject.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!