Author Topic: New shelf rails with alternative jerky/fish racks  (Read 11313 times)

Whidbey Rick

New shelf rails with alternative jerky/fish racks
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »
Hello!!

I just installed my new "side rail assembly" shelf rails and they look great! I also found some alternative racks for jerky and seafood that fit nicely in the #3.

Note that the cooling racks have raised feet that can fit "above" the rail slots on both the 5 and the 9 shelf rails. I also bent the feet inward and hammered them flat on a couple of shelves and then they'll fit the normal slots. Just bending them tends to break them off, so just bending them a little and hammering them works a bit better. They worked either way modified or not.

Thought I'd share the pics.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:28:19 PM by Whidbey Rick »
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: New shelf rails with alternative jerky/fish racks
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Hey Rick, this is interesting, where did you get the cooling racks? Did you purchase them online or locally? Very good idea. And welcome from Kansas City.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »
Hi Bill,

Ordered them online from Midland Hardware. A wee bet over $8 each.

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

elkins20

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:04 AM »
That bets the heck out of $30 a pop from SI. I was lucky on my #1 I made my own. I found a local company that gave me the SS bars that was food grade. I also found another company that I purchased the SS mesh from. Mine averaged out to about $15. But, did not have to pay any shipping. For my #3 I may get some of those trays like you have. Have your tried heating the feet and bending them over? That might keep them from breaking. I know my SS bars was just 3/16" thick and I could bend it with ease.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:02:44 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »
Yep, I tried to heat them and bend them but the feet broke off. I had the best luck just bending them slightly in a vice then hammering them down. This warps the sheet a bit but it's easy enough to straighten out. I think think the racks are made of chromed wire of some sort... certainly not stainless...

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

elkins20

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:18:53 AM »
Hey Rick, 1st got to ask, are you former Marine? As the Semper Fi in the signature line. I was Navy during Viet Nam era. Ok back to subject at hand. I thought they would have bent over with some heat. Not going cherry color, but enough to bend them easy. Oh well, I have the vice so that is not a problem and a very large hammer, around the 4# range. That should do it. lol

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:25:13 AM »
Yep, did 21 years in the USMC   :)

I think the racks are pretty cool considering the price. I've used them to make jerky and they did well. I hope to get lots of use out of them to smoke Pink salmon as the run should start any day now here in the PNW.

Rick
Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

elkins20

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
Hey Rick, First and foremost thank-you for your service. I did a lot of close work with Recon Marines at my second duty station. Are you running you #3 with or without an Auber? After a mishap on my #1, I have an Auber for it as well. If you decide to get an Auber, go to this web site as this is their site and a little less than what Steve sells for. http://www.auberins.com/  Also get the permanent wall mount. It is pretty easy to install, along with a switch. Just something I did over that last couple of days. And really the #3 is far easier than my #1. The #3 has more working room.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:09:45 AM by elkins20 »

Whidbey Rick

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:05 AM »
Thanks for the kudos and thank you for your service also! I did buy the Auber and the permanent wall mount from their site but have not yet installed it... Just another unfinished project at the homestead...lol

Rick

Semper Fi!

Whidbey Island WA

SI #3
Big Chief top loader
Weber Kettle Grill

drains

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:38:57 AM »
Thank you both for your service! Welcome from Texas Rick! We're a friendly bunch so jump,right in and don't be shy. Those look like good racks especially for the price. I'll check them out. Thanks for sharing the info. Happy smokin!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:24:18 AM »
I piddled with mine, but to be very honest you can do the wall mount install in about 15 min. Insulation does not bother me so did not wear gloves or long sleeve shirt. I did purchase a 5/16 and 1/2 Dewalt titanium drill bits. Get the ones that also have the starter point. SS is a PITA to drill in, also you will need a plastic nylon sleeve, this you can find in the hardware section speciality drawers at Lowe's. I took the permanent wall mount with me and found the right size. You will also need 3 feet of 14 awg gauge wire. And a dpdt on-on toggle switch. If you install the switch to the left of the light on top of the smoker you really will not more than a foot of wire. Once you have your supplies is pretty easy. You can follow the instructions in the Auber instruction of the forum. I put mine 1 1/2 inch from the top wall and just left of the center back support.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:29:09 PM by elkins20 »

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:36 AM »
I found similar rack made by LEM at Bass Pro Shop if anyone is interested. Shown here in my previous post.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2008.0
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:45:33 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
Now that is interesting as I have 2 Bass pro shops very close to me.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
What's the dimensions of the cooling racks, Rick?  Great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
What's the dimensions of the cooling racks, Rick?  Great idea!
According to the fine print in the second picture, 14.5" X 20". 

Dang, I'm wanting some cookies, bad!!! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah