Author Topic: #2 Thoughts  (Read 3986 times)

Boone

#2 Thoughts
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »
Did my first cook in the #2 last week. I did a whole chicken so as to compare how it differed from My Smokie Mountain. There was no real difference as the chicken turned out great. Cooking on a charcoal smoker doesn’t seem to offer any different taste. If anything I would say you get more of a smoke flavor from the wood you choose to burn in the Smokin-It.

The size of the #2 is ideal for my needs. Primarily just the wife and I. I’m already in love with not needing to adjust my vents from varying wind conditions. My charcoal smoker could be passed on to one of my kids in the very near future.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: #2 Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:53:01 PM »
Hey Dan,

Welcome from Saint Augustine Florida, I am another proud owner of a #2 smoker.

This baby works great out of the box.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Dan!   I love my #2, and I know you will too!   The smoked meat is pretty much spot on every time.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »
Hey Dan, Welcome from Kansas City, I am the proud owner of #1 & #3 smokers. I see many wonderful smoked meats in your future. I am hooked on using oak and maple or cherry combination woods. And occasionally through in some hickory. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your cooks.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Dan, you just hit a very important point!  I actually prefer SI BBQ over charcoal BBQ for the reason you just mentioned!  With the SI, you get pure wood smoke flavor - not tainted by any other factors!  Unlike ever before, I now consider the smoke flavor profile every bit as important as any spice I use on the meat, and I can now discern taste differences like never before.  Thanks for mentioning that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Welcome from Texas Dan! Your #2 is a dedicated smoker. Lots of people smoke on grills, charcoal and otherwise but they really can't replicate the taste of pure wood smoke because charcoal adds its own flavor. The heat source in the #2 is electric so no added flavor just the smokiness we all love. Enjoy!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Boone

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:29 PM »
Did some spareribs in the #2 the other weekend to make another comparison cook with the WSM. The wife told me to do all my cooks in the #2 from now on and sell my one time beloved charcoal smoker. I’m going to miss the old girl but everything I have smoked in the Smokin-It has come out better than on the Weber Smokie mountain smoker.
Dan from Wisconsin
Smokin-It #2, Auber PID
Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber Kettle Grills
Blackstone Flat-Top Griddle

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:44 PM »
That's why we're all here, Dan!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:03:29 AM »
Hi Dan and welcome from Kansas City, on some smokes will add a piece or two of charcoal with my wood. Which gives it a different flavor.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »
Hi Dan and welcome from Kansas City, on some smokes will add a piece or two of charcoal with my wood. Which gives it a different flavor.

You know, I tried that several times, Bill, but just couldn't really tell a difference.  Maybe it's just my taste, I don't know.  I used natural chunk charcoal.  I may have to try it again, just to see.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 12:24:22 AM »
I got that idea from Rickne as he said he would add 1 or 2 kingsford briquets along with his wood. And to tell you the truth cannot tell any difference. Tonight in the Little Man I smoked 2 hamburgers with 2 oz of hickory and 2 briquets. They had a really good flavor, pulled at 170, was done all the way thru.