Author Topic: Wood box depth / design  (Read 5915 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Wood box depth / design
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:55 PM »
With the pitched lid on the wood box, I find it difficult to close the lid with a reasonable size chunk of wood.  Even with using the center or high point of the box, stacking is out of the question.  I don't believe the box needs to be made deeper because there appears to be plenty of space where the box slides over the element.  My suggestion would be to consider lowering the floor of the wood section to provide some more vertical height in the wood area.  Again, box doesn't need to get bigger or deeper, the floor just needs to be lowered a bit. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wood box depth / design
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »
I don't really mind the depth.  To me, it's a good reminder not to "oversize" my wood chunks!  I find ones that fit well in the box smoke better.  Just my 2¢.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »
Just my 2¢.
Which has proven to have biases based on your #1 & #2 experience.  Now that you have a #3, you may see a change in performance or opportunities to expand design in the bigger smokers. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
Just my 2¢.
Which has proven to have biases based on your #1 & #2 experience.  Now that you have a #3, you may see a change in performance or opportunities to expand design in the bigger smokers.

Dave, I believe everyone has "biases," based on their experience.  This group is all about the exchange of opinions, experiences, ideas, etc.  I, personally, don't believe a change in the depth of the smoke box would be worth the cost it would incur, to change tooling at the factory.  If I had seen this idea many times before, I probably would advocate a change.  I actually send quite a few ideas & suggestions, from the forum, to Steve.  If this idea gains traction, and lots of 3 & 4 users add their 2¢, I may be swayed in my opinion, given a sound argument "why" it makes sense.  But, this is the first suggestion of a deeper box that I've seen in over 30,000 posts (and yes, I actually try to read all of them - I need more hobbies, I guess ;) ), so it's never popped up on my radar as any kind of a "design flaw."

I'll certainly try to keep an open mind, in gaining experience with the #3, but the first smoke I did received the same wood selection that I use in the other smokers, and worked quite well.  I'll certainly keep you posted, should my opinion change! 

One other thought... You seem to feel quite strongly about this idea.  Why not email Steve with the idea, and your argument why it would be a worthy use of capital to change?  He is certainly open to hearing from his customers!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
I realize that the #4 owners are such a small piece of the portfolio so making changes aren't likely in the picture.  I will be shocked if you don't see a big difference in how your wood is consumed differently between a 400W, 800W & 1200W element.  Having a 1500W element, I know that I would like to use much bigger chunks or be able to stack chunks. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »
I see what you are saying about the element size, Dave.  For example, I never experienced any kind of combustion in the #1, so really couldn't contribute anything to the discussion about "the belch."  When I got the #2, I did, due to the 700w element!  In the #3, my first smoke used a 3.5 oz single chunk of Smokinlicious wild cherry (high moisture content), so no belch and a great burn.  I have not yet experienced a belch in the 3 (seasoning and first smoke), due to better quality wood.

Based on what you just wrote, I would think the solution would be raising the floor of the box, as the element size goes up, to account for the extra heat.  There wouldn't be a need to use bigger chunks (which is hard, sometimes, when you only need 2-3 oz of wood), but rather to regulate the heat effect on the floor of the smoke box.  It would stand to reason that the #1 would stay the same, and each larger model would be a little higher.  I'm not an engineer (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), so maybe some of our engineering guys can chime in on this. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
What I am doing as a work around is using a longer, low temperature ramp up.  I guess the real question becomes whether or not that is acceptable SOP.  It seems to be a less of a nuisance because I own an Auber.  No Auber and I would probably be using spacers to lift my box higher like the guys using nuts. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
What I am doing as a work around is using a longer, low temperature ramp up.  I guess the real question becomes whether or not that is acceptable SOP.  It seems to be a less of a nuisance because I own an Auber.  No Auber and I would probably be using spacers to lift my box higher like the guys using nuts.

So, you agree that using bigger chunks may not be the solution, but distance from the element may be?  Actually, it seems like it would be a pretty easy mod to install 4 bolts, with a nut on each side of the smoke box floor, that could be adjusted to hold the box to the max height off of the rails.  Just a thought, as we're brainstorming!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
I think at the end of the day, I'm ultimately looking for the best way to prolong smoke production.  Stacking chunks is what comes to my simple mind first.  If raising the box gave me smoke for another 30+ minutes, that would be awesome too.  Since our boxes have those giant holes already in them, at least I don't have to drill any holes to try the nut & bolt legs idea. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
Dave, I think you're definitely on to something!  Let us know if you put a "lift kit" on your wood box!  Guess you'd have to get some big mudder tires to replace the casters, too. ;) ;D ;D   At least, that's what I'd do.
Tony from NW Arkansas