Author Topic: 25 lbs of brisket on the #2  (Read 3737 times)

althomas

25 lbs of brisket on the #2
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »
Hello, I plan to smoke two briskets with a total weight of 25 pounds on Saturday. I will cut each brisket in half as to evenly distribute the weight amongst the four racks.  For those of you that have tried this before, I have a couple of questions:

How many hours should I plan on?
What kind of wood(s) did you use?
Did you add more wood at any time during the long cook time?

thanks
Aaron

Have been smokin for 10 years but just bought a #2.

Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Weber charcoal grill

Grampy

Re: 25 lbs of brisket on the #2
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Aaron that is a lot of beef! I have not smoked that much brisket at once but I like to cook whole packer briskets when I do. I know others will jump in here and offer some good advice. Personally, I prefer mesquite with brisket. Also, once I close the door on the smoker I try not to open it for any reason. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

va_rider

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:23 AM »
I did a 12.5# packer this past weekend, and I had budgeted 1.5 hours per pound. I wanted to eat Sunday afternoon, so I put it on at 6pm Saturday. The thing was done before 9:10 AM Sunday. I didn't separate it into pieces. I cooked it as a whole packer.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

mizzoufan

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:41 AM »
I agree on mesquite, but that's all preference.  235 and if your #2 runs like mine (there can be significant differences in addition to the differences in each chunk of meat) you're looking at 1hr per pound of the largest brisket (but figure on 1.5, a 4-5 hour rest double foiled and stuck in a cooler with towels is fine).

Also, check to see if they fit without cutting in half.  I have done a 12.5 pounder without cutting, though the flat end was a bit scrunched up when it first went in (came out fine).
Steven from KCMO

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »
How many hours should I plan on?  1 to 1.5 hour per pound.  Put the thickest ends on the lower shelves, and the ends up top.  A 12-13 lb packer will actually fit on one shelf, in the #2.  The ends will be against the back and door, but will shrink in no time.  Check the length of each, and do them on 2 shelves, whole.
What kind of wood(s) did you use?  I prefer mesquite & hickory, but that's a personal preference.
Did you add more wood at any time during the long cook time?  No!  Add 6 oz. of your wood to a cold smoker, with cold meat, and don't open the door until you reach your target temp.  The meat only absorbs smoke until around 140 IT, so anything after that is just building a bitter bark.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

althomas

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »
Thanks everyone.  6 Oz may very well be enough wood but it just seems like it isn't enough to get good smoke flavor!  Divotmaker, do you do a mesquite/hickory mix or those are the woods you like and don't necessarily combine them?
Aaron

Have been smokin for 10 years but just bought a #2.

Offset barrel smoker
Propane smoker
Weber charcoal grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
Either or on the mesquite/hickory - depends on my mood! ;)   I like straight hickory a lot (it's been the smell of BBQ my whole life), and I also really like straight mesquite on beef.  Sometimes I 50/50 it!  Smoke flavor is like a spice; it's very subjective, and everyone has a personal preference.  You need to experiment and find yours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Hog Wild

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 02:11:27 AM »
Also, probe each piece of meat separately if you can.  If you only have one thermometer, I would use it on the lower piece, first.  The bottom one will get more direct heat than the top one.  I had a 4-hour difference in cook times yesterday between 2 virtually identical pork shoulders.

My #2 is only a week old, and I haven't had a chance to try a brisket yet, but it's one of my favorite BBQs.  Whatever wood you decide to use should taste great.  Good luck, and don't forget to share the results!
Scott, from north Texas