Author Topic: Going 4 it!  (Read 7771 times)

Desjeany

Going 4 it!
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
After many hours if research, my wife is allowing me to get the little fella.  I'm looking forward to getting this thing fired up and smoking.  Have had several smokers up to now, but nothing close to the quality of this bad boy.  Hoping this will stand the test of time.  Glad this forum is up and running.

Desjeany

Re: Going 4 it!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
Got my smoker and cart put together last night.  Was going to smoke a brisket, but looks like rain all weekend.  Hopefully I can get one going.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:57:41 AM »
Enjoy.  You have made a good decision.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Gary

• Newbie in terms of actual smoking experience/
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »
Have had mine since Nov. Am still learning, but am having fun. You have made a great choice.
Gary J. Groman
a.k.a. The Ole Seagull

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Desjeany

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »
Getting my new smoker seasoned finally! Built my own cord hanger and saved $20.  3 hours and counting till she's done seasoning. 

Rob Babcock

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 03:38:28 AM »
Congrats!  I have the #3, bought it about seven months ago and have been really lovin' it so far!  I also have a Traeger and each has certain strengths.  The #3 does a bit better job at keeping food moist while the Traeger does a little better job on stuff like getting chicken skin crispy.  If I had to keep just one though it would have to be the Smokin-It! 8)

Desjeany

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
Got my first smoke in my smokin-it under my belt. Four chicken quarters, one wood peg, hour and a half cook time. Should have smoked it without the skin cause it took most of the smoke flavor, but still wasn't bad. I may have to drill a second drain hole towards the front of the smoker cause I had quite a bit of liquid pooling there. Any other suggestions?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »
Get a small torpedo level and make sure that the unit is level side to side, front to back.  A litt slope to the front is ok.
If you foiled the bottom, ensure the foil is flat and smooth and that you have punched thru to the hole.

I don't think you need an additional hole. Besides that, it will alter the airflow and may cause your wood to be consumed quicker.

Hope that helps!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Desjeany

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
First brisket in the smoke right now.  Used 2 hickory and 1 hickory Petterson Pucks for smoke flavor.

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
Yes!  Don't fear the brisket!

Be sure to let us all know how it turns out.  The "lessons learned" thread is great for posting tips, tricks, etc.

Enjoy!

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

Rob Babcock

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »
Nice!  I just got 5 bags of the Pucks, they just showed up Weds or so.  I'll try them next time I smoke!