Author Topic: PID Smoker Controller, Dual Probes 1800 watts  (Read 3488 times)

Ohio1956

PID Smoker Controller, Dual Probes 1800 watts
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I was reading the on line manual for the Auber that is used for the #3. It used a Bradley Smoker for the example. It looks like from the information on this site, you do the control by pass. Then plug the #3 in to the Auber, the plut the Auber into a power source. Is this correct?
Then it's just a matter of programming.

Thanks;
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

Limey

Re: PID Smoker Controller, Dual Probes 1800 watts
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
Yes that is correct although you do not need to do a bypass to use the Auber. Just turn the controller all the way up to 250 degrees and let the Auber control the temperature. The high temperature will be limited by the controller i.e.+/- 250 degrees. The only reason to do a bypass is if you want to go over 250.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Ohio1956

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »
Thanks, so is there a better controller you can buy? One that would let you go to 275 or 300 or do you have to buy the auber?

Thanks;
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

Limey

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
I agree, that would be an ideal solution in terms of getting to higher temperatures and I have talked to Steve (SI owner) about this. He does not know of any suitable controllers. I have researched this and failed to find anything suitable. Bear in mind that a different controller would still be analog and not give you the temperature control or the automation of the Auber.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

duckjockey

Higher Temps with the Auber
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
Has anyone used the Model #3 with the Auber 1200 W to achieve temperatures around 350 F?  How does one 'bypass' the smoker's temp control?
Duckjockey

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Higher Temps with the Auber
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:04:33 PM »
Has anyone used the Model #3 with the Auber 1200 W to achieve temperatures around 350 F?  How does one 'bypass' the smoker's temp control?

Hi Duck, and welcome to the club!  The Auber 1200 is not compatible with the #3.  Although rated at 1200w, it would be at the edge of its capabilities to power the 3s 1200w element.  It's a matter of headroom.  The 1500w or 1800w versions are more suited to the 3.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!