Author Topic: 12.5lb Brisket This weekend.  (Read 11771 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 12.5lb Brisket This weekend.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »
And I know "Cook to temp, not time",

Well yea usually, but what is the meat telling you? Brisket is different than Pork Loin or Chicken, both of which are unforgiving to excessive cooking times.

The 195 number gets thrown around often but it is a generalization.  All the meat is different some need more than others. If your brisket is 195 but it feels too firm you need more time. I quit temping briskets and just pick them up.

If you pick it up in the middle and do not have a large amount of sag or droop from both ends it is not ready keep cooking. It should feel like you could barely be able to force your finger completely through the center if you tried. If it is that firm yet yielding it will hold a slice and still be tender.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
And I know "Cook to temp, not time",

Well yea usually, but what is the meat telling you? Brisket is different than Pork Loin or Chicken, both of which are unforgiving to excessive cooking times.

The 195 number gets thrown around often but it is a generalization.  All the meat is different some need more than others. If your brisket is 195 but it feels too firm you need more time. I quit temping briskets and just pick them up.

If you pick it up in the middle and do not have a large amount of sag or droop from both ends it is not ready keep cooking. It should feel like you could barely be able to force your finger completely through the center if you tried. If it is that firm yet yielding it will hold a slice and still be tender.

I've never seen the "doneness" test for brisket explained like this - thanks Brian!  I bet you have quite a "feel" for the briskies, like we do for ribs, with as many as you cook!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
Great input Brian, I will use your test next week on my brisket!

Thanks Greg

va_rider

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 11:03:37 AM »
That description is spot on. When I pulled my brisket out Sunday morning, it was definitely droopy, but still held together. When serving, I had to cut about 1/2" slices to get it to stay together, and use a freshly sharpened knife. (My Wustof chef's knife that I've put a 13 degree razor sharp edge on) Using a thicker/duller knife, you couldn't get clean slices. It'd just fall apart.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »
Hey Aaron, how did you sharpen your knife. I really need to do some of my knifes but afraid to tackle that.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 01:26:05 PM »
Bill,
The meat counter at my market sharpens mine for me while I shop, no charge. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Hey Aaron, how did you sharpen your knife. I really need to do some of my knifes but afraid to tackle that.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Chefs Choice Sharpener. I have had one for over 15 (maybe 20) years and it still works like new. Simple to use and perfect for all you kitchen knifes. Just remember to let the wife know that you just sharpened the knifes, they will be sharp!

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-110-Professional-Sharpener/dp/B00004S1B9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435167493&sr=8-2&keywords=Edgecraft+Chef%27s+Choice+110+Diamond+Hone+3+Stage+Professional+Knife+Sharpener

Greg

Limey

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 01:58:20 PM »
I too have used the Chef's Choice knife sharpeners for many years and they are excellent. They also make a sharpener for Asian edged knives for those of us with santoku style knives.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

va_rider

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »

I'm sure the replies from others are great, but I use a KME sharpener. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GEGK00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00   When you want to control the angle of grind, and provide a mirror sharp finish, it fits the bill. I have a block full of knives that are absolutely razor sharp. The guys who make the KME really remind me of the SI folks. Good company, turning out a good product that they're proud of, and stand behind. I've used tons of other sharpeners in the past, but many don't account for the fact that different knives need to be sharpened at different angles. Being able to lock down the blade and move the stone against it makes it very easy to maintain the same angle across the entire length of the blade, and throughout the whole sharpening process.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:26 PM »
I think I've tried every knife sharpener known to man, but finally found the best one out there:

The Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener

Incredibly quick and easy, and yields the sharpest knives I've ever had.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

va_rider

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
Let's agree that "best one out there" is subjective.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

va_rider

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
So, since this is the second motor driven sharpener that's come up.. let me chime in with my .02. I've got some good friends in metal fabrication, metal focused artwork, and metallurgy. They advise against using a motor driven sharpener due to removing too much material quickly, and toying with the heat temper of the metal. For regular knife maintenance, I find that the KME is very quick and you control exactly how much material is removed by using light pressure and easy strokes. I can sharpen a 12" chef's knife in a couple of minutes without removing a bunch of material. Conversely, if the knife is damaged, I can easy change out my stone to a different grit and make short work of powering through a bad spot on the blade, or even reshaping the blade or changing the degree of grind.

This is my personal experience, and the advice of people who work with metals on a daily basis. The same people that suggested getting my EDC Benchmade knife made of M390 steel. On that note, even though the M390 steel is the best out there for keeping a good finish, and a sharp edge even with regular abuse, Benchmade will not warranty the knife if any motor driven sharpener has been used on the blade.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 01:35:46 PM »
Aaron, I wouldn't argue your statements but would argue that a non motorized sharpener in the hands of someone not trained in how to sharpen on a stone is worse than sharpening on a motorized sharpener. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
Has anyone used the Ken Onion system, it looks pretty good and can sharpen tools also.

Save some money and just get the Work Sharp I mentioned - same thing, just without the Ken Onion premium price.  And Aaron - once the original edge is put on, you pretty much just use the 6,000 grit honing belt for maintenance; not much material removed with that, and it yields a very sharp knife. 
Tony from NW Arkansas