Author Topic: 12.5lb Brisket This weekend.  (Read 11817 times)

va_rider

12.5lb Brisket This weekend.
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
On my lunch break, decided to go check out a local butcher shop. He had a couple real nice looking briskets, for ~$5 a pound. So, I picked up a nice 12.5 pounder. I did a brisket last weekend, but it was only about a 6 pounder, and was just flat. It came out pretty great though.

For this whole brisket, should I separate point and flat? or do the whole thing as one? If I do the whole thing together, point up or flat up?

Also, I'm thinking at 220, it's going to be about a 20 hour smoke? Does that sound right?

I'm planning on just doing a rub, letting it sit overnight in the fridge, and then smoking it. Is it more necessary to inject it?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

jdwoods

Re: 12.5lb Brisket This weekend.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:39:10 PM »
Same boat.

My goal is to keep it whole. I will probably be doing a Dalmatian rub. No overnight rub or brine. No injecting. Maybe wrapping.
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »
If you own an injector, there is no reason not to inject.  A can of beef broth and some garlic and you are done.  Is it necessary, certainly not. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jdwoods

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:06:06 PM »
fat side up or down?
Los Angeles. Born and raised.
Smoking since 2015. Model #2.

va_rider

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
fat side up or down?

From what I've read, that's like asking Pepsi or Coke?

I did my last brisket fat side down, and didn't have any problems. It was succulent and juicy.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »
Fat side down, do not trim, inject or brine unless you really love that extra work. Run it at 225 for an hour a pound. If it is still very firm to the touch after 12 hours, triple cling wrap it and single foil wrap it. Run it for another 1.75 hours at 225, It should be very tender then. Store it Fat side up wrapped as I described in a cooler, use a pan to catch any leakage.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:44 PM »
Aaron, a 12 lb packer should fit in the #2 whole (I've done up to 14 lbs whole, so long as they're not too long).  Don't separate the point and flat - that's what makes a packer cook so good!  If it's a little long, when you put it in diagonally, just let the ends curl up on the back and door.  It will shrink to fit in no time.

I have a lot of respect for Brian's brisket advice, as he smokes more of them in a day than most of us do in a year!  However, since we don't do it for a living, and have a little time on our hands for prep, why not do a little to "enhance" the flavor profile?  I use my pork butt brine, and it adds a lot of flavor and moisture to the finished brisket.  I've smoked briskets with just a rub coating, before ever trying any injections or brining, and I personally prefer a little extra work for the added flavor.  If I were doing 20 at a time? ...probably not so much! ;)

Find what your level of commitment is, because you can't go wrong either way - simple or complex prep.  Find what works for you, and the best way to do that is to try different methods.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
I too have not done a brisket, as my first smoke is in the SI now. Am doing ribs, as for brining I have not tried that but in my mind I would do the injection as Dave suggested. Tony also has good ideas and posts on brining. I purchased my injector at E-bay and found the Bayou injector was pretty reasonable there. I had it a couple of days after ordering. I plan on doing a 7lb brisket this weekend. I will inject, then put some mustard and a rub. Let it get happy in the fridge and put it on the smoker around 1 or 2 am hopefully will be done for Sat. dinner. Also you want to look for an internal temp. of 195 I am not sure of this. But, others will chime in on this.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

va_rider

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 05:56:03 PM »
Prepped..  Looking to eat it Sunday afternoon...  What do y'all think? Toss it on tomorrow evening around 3pm? Or is that too early?
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

va_rider

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »
And I know "Cook to temp, not time", but I've got people coming over Sunday afternoon.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 11:56:20 PM »
I thought sure some of the senior member would have answer you by now. If you put it on at 3 pm will that give you 12 hours in the smoker? Also do you have a temperature probe to watch the temperature of the meat? Just remember when you hit Internal Temp. of 195 to pull it and wrap it in foil and a thick towel and put it in a cooler for about an hour to rest. This is very important. Do not worry will still be plenty warm... Slice and serve
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 06:40:35 AM »
If it gets done to early, (last one done 6 hours early). Pull when it reaches 195 degrees, double wrap in foil and then set your smoker to 140 degrees. Leave the door open until the temp drops and then close and leave it until you are about 1-2 hours from the time you want to eat. Then pull and put it in cooler lined with towels. Allow it to rest for at least one hour and then you are ready for dinner.

Greg.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:43:34 PM »
Pull when it reaches 195 degrees, double wrap in foil and then set your smoker to 140 degrees. Leave the door open until the temp drops and then close and leave it until you are about 1-2 hours from the time you want to eat. Then pull and put it in cooler lined with towels. Allow it to rest for at least one hour and then you are ready for dinner.

Your adding an unnecessary step. If the meat is fully cooled DOWN to 145 from the finished IT of 195 there is no need to rest it again. You can pull the brisket out and slice it without putting it in the cooler.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »
Pull when it reaches 195 degrees, double wrap in foil and then set your smoker to 140 degrees. Leave the door open until the temp drops and then close and leave it until you are about 1-2 hours from the time you want to eat. Then pull and put it in cooler lined with towels. Allow it to rest for at least one hour and then you are ready for dinner.

Your adding an unnecessary step. If the meat is fully cooled DOWN to 145 from the finished IT of 195 there is no need to rest it again. You can pull the brisket out and slice it without putting it in the cooler.

+1.  No need to rest twice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 06:36:43 AM »

+1.  No need to rest twice!

Thanks Tony and Brian,

I will be smoking another brisket next week, so good info!

Greg