Author Topic: Smoked Texas-Style Brisket  (Read 28049 times)

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Smoked Texas-Style Brisket
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
Here is my brisket recipe.  Enjoy!

Phil's Killer Brisket

One 8-12 lb whole brisket
4 tbsp finely ground coffee
4 tbsp chili powder
5 tsp brown sugar
5 tsp garlic salt
5 tsp onion powder
5 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp McCormick Smokehouse pepper

Combine all dry ingredients in a Tupperware bowl and seal.  Shake the bowl to mix the ingredients.

Rub into brisket at least 12 hours before smoking.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

When ready to begin smoking, unwrap brisket and place in center rack inside smoker with the fat side UP.  Add a small pan of water to the lower rack (for moisture).

Close smoker and set for 220 degrees.  Smoke brisket for one hour per pound + two hours .  (Example: an 8-lb brisket will smoke for ten hours.)

To help maintain moisture, open the smoker every hour for the first FIVE hours and spray with apple juice.  This is a critical step to making sure the meat doesn't get dry.

After 5-6 hours, remove brisket from smoker and wrap tightly in aluminum foil with one half cup of apple juice.  Return to the smoker for the remainder of the time, or until the thickest part of the brisket registers 195-198 degrees.

This next step isn't necessary, but I find it really increases the flavor and tenderness of the meat, which is really important for brisket.

Remove brisket from smoker, but do not unwrap.  Place wrapped brisket inside a turkey-size oven bag and then place it inside a cooler (the kind you use for sodas, etc). Place several towels on top (enough to basically take up all open space inside the cooler) and shut the cooler.  Let the brisket rest inside cooler for 1-2 hours at room temperature.  Don't worry, the meat will still be plenty hot.

After 1-2 hours, remove brisket from cooler, unwrap, and slice across the grain for maximum tenderness.  Serve with BBQ sauce and enjoy!

I'm your huckleberry...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked Texas-Style Brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
Sounds good.  Is there much of a recovery time back to temperature after opening the door?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »
It's not too bad if you do it quickly, which is one of the reasons I use the spray bottle instead of a brush or mop.  I can open the door, spray, and close it in less than one minute.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:26:47 PM by psoltesz »
I'm your huckleberry...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »
Thanks.  I have never spritzed before; may give it a try.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Wolfpackpilot

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
Never heard of coffee in the rub, but I'm putting it in there this weekend. Doing a brisket for Sunday dinner.

Thanks for the tip. 

Bill in NC

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:23:14 PM »
The best advantage to adding coffee is the browning effect.  What it really does is help create that nice, dark, crusty bark!

I'm a huge bark shark.  ;D

- Phil
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:05:16 PM by psoltesz »
I'm your huckleberry...

Grimm5577

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »
Personally I love coffee/espresso rubs on my steaks never thought about it on a brisket. I'm sure combined with Apple wood you are getting black bark. I'll have to try your spritzing method. I have yet to make a brisket that I loved, mine always end up too dry, I'm thinking I trim it down too much combined with not adding any moisture to the smoker.

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
Were having a lot of family to our house over a two week period in late July (16 - 18 people and probably no less than 10 at any given time) I'm putting together a menu of meat to smoke while they're here and this really sounds good!

Grimm5577 mentioned apple wood, is this the recommended wood for brisket?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 08:08:36 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
You can also mix woods ... apple is a somewhat mild flavor while mesquite would obviously be quite strong ... if you put them together you get a unique flavor profile.

I'm partial to 2 oz. of pecan and 2 oz. of cherry for brisket in the #3 (with a cherry reload as the temp gets near 140) ... but hickory or apple would also stand up quite well.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Grimm5577

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
You can also mix woods ... apple is a somewhat mild flavor while mesquite would obviously be quite strong ... if you put them together you get a unique flavor profile.

I'm partial to 2 oz. of pecan and 2 oz. of cherry for brisket in the #3 (with a cherry reload as the temp gets near 140) ... but hickory or apple would also stand up quite well.

I mentioned apple wood because it creates a really dark bark on the meat. It can make a chicken skin black. Personally for brisket I like Mesquite and Cherry or Hickory. Apple is a bit mild to really penetrate and add a good wood flavor to the meat.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
I'm planning a brisket this weekend, and your rub looks like a winner.  I just can't wrap my mind around the ground coffee, though.  Is it necessary for flavor, or just making a dark bark?  I can't help but think you'll taste it, and maybe even feel the grittiness of it.  I'm not fond of a taking a swig of coffee and getting grounds in it!  :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
I'm planning a brisket this weekend, and your rub looks like a winner.  I just can't wrap my mind around the ground coffee, though.  Is it necessary for flavor, or just making a dark bark?  I can't help but think you'll taste it, and maybe even feel the grittiness of it.  I'm not fond of a taking a swig of coffee and getting grounds in it!  :(

You don't taste the coffee at all...I use it merely for the browning effect.  Mixing a little coffee into the rub ensures you will get a nice, dark, crusty bark on the outside of the meat.

That said, the coffee is not absolutely necessary.  If you'd prefer not to include it, it won't affect the flavor of the brisket.

Enjoy!
I'm your huckleberry...

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »

You don't taste the coffee at all...I use it merely for the browning effect.  Mixing a little coffee into the rub ensures you will get a nice, dark, crusty bark on the outside of the meat.

That said, the coffee is not absolutely necessary.  If you'd prefer not to include it, it won't affect the flavor of the brisket.

Enjoy!

I'm not scared, and actually have a pretty open-mind about new ideas!  Thanks for the reassurance that it doesn't make the brisket taste like a brisket-latte!  lol. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

smokeasaurus

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
I have even added coffee to my pork rub when doing spares...........comes out nice.......

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
I have even added coffee to my pork rub when doing spares...........comes out nice.......

Nice!  I'm definitely trying it.  Any preference on coffee, or will any auto grind work? 
Tony from NW Arkansas