Author Topic: Who goes over 6 ounces?  (Read 3448 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Who goes over 6 ounces?
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
I'm getting myself psyched up for my beef clod smoke in a couple of weeks.  The average weight of the clod is 23 lbs.  I don't know how long it will take but I'm thinking regardless, there is a lot of meat to penetrate. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Who goes over 6 ounces?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
I'd probably go to 8 oz for a single cut of 23 lbs!  Maybe even more! :o   That's a whole lotta beef to get up to 140, especially if it's fridge-cold to start!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

paidin

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:31:04 AM »
so far, for long smokes, the amnps has worked great for me without overpowering the food with smoke.  I get about 12 hours for my sausage smokes which go one for about 18-20 hours.  it also allows me to have more precise temps and lower heat smokes.  I go 2 hours at 100, 2 hours at 120, 2 hours at 140, then 160 till done.  I have smoke the entire time and I do not think I can do that with the smoke box in the smokin-it and hold those temps.  I would get fire instead of smoke because of the air being drawn out of the box.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

bubbabob

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
Hey Dave,
Have you smoked a clod before, and do they all weigh in that big? The last brisket I bought was $10 a pound and I'm lookin for something a little cheaper to try.
TIA,
BB
Large BGE, SI #1, Weber Genesis gasser, Maverick ET 733, Thermapen, Grill Grates for my gasser, and a Vortex.

"I know I'm having a good day when my gratitude exceeds my expectations." - Ray Wiley Hubbard