Author Topic: 1st Brisket on the # 2 tomorrow  (Read 13522 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
1st Brisket on the # 2 tomorrow
« on: May 23, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
I have a 8 lb. flat choice brisket that I will be starting tomorrow for Tuesday's dinner. The plan is to brine and the inject and then smoke away.

Here is my plan of attack:

Modified 5/24/2015, I will post final results and recipe once I finishing smoking!

*Note this is a work in progress and after chatting on the forum with Arnie about salt levels I have change the recipe for the injection and brine.

Brine Ingredients:
96 oz. water
3/4 cup fine sea salt
½ cup brown sugar
8 cups ice

3 oz. fine sea salt
1/4 brown sugar
1/2 gallon water
1 t #1 cure

Brisket Injection
2 ½ T Minor’s Au Jus Prep
1 cup Moore's Marinade
1 T hot sauce
32 oz. beef stock

4 Cups Water
4 T Minor's Au Jus Prep
1 T Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce.

Wood:
3.5 oz. Acadian Oak
2 oz. Hickory
.5 oz. Mesquite

Make the Aus Jus sauce according to package, mix in the rest of ingredients and simmer for 15 min. Let cool before injecting.

Use the extra marinade left over for dipping sauce.

Rub - Use my rub mixture (or your favorite low salt will work)

Brine overnight, then inject, rub and then place back in refrigerator until ready to smoke Monday night.

Smoke at 225 degrees until it hits 195 degrees pull wrap and then place in a cooler with towels for 2 hours.

Greg

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:39:30 PM by gregbooras »

Barrel99

Re: 1st Brisket on the # 2 tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
Looks like a plan Greg. Just a bit of caution in the salt content from the brine, Moores, the Au Jus and the beef stock. This is something I learned from experience. Take a close look at all the salt.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:58:30 AM »
Looks like a plan Greg. Just a bit of caution in the salt content from the brine, Moores, the Au Jus and the beef stock. This is something I learned from experience. Take a close look at all the salt.

Arnie,

Excellent point on the salt, without the brine I think it was would be fine, but I could also use water instead of the beef stock. I think I will make up a batch today and see how it tastes....

Moore's 29 percent
Au Jus 13 %
Beef Stock 18 %

I wonder if I should skip the brine and just inject and leave overnight?

Thoughts....

Thanks Greg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:30:30 AM by gregbooras »

TexasSMK

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 08:09:51 AM »
I am a rookie smoker, but already I have found that brining and rubbing = salty taste.  I looking for more info on this subject--so am watching for comments.  Looking forward to doing my first brisket--can't wait to hear the results of this smoke. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:50:08 AM »
I am a rookie smoker, but already I have found that brining and rubbing = salty taste.  I looking for more info on this subject--so am watching for comments.  Looking forward to doing my first brisket--can't wait to hear the results of this smoke.

Dale,

I find most store bought rubs have to much salt for my taste. Making your own is easy and you can elect not to use salt.

Greg

es1025

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Dale
I use a dalmatian rub, equal parts kosher salt and course black pepper. I apply a light coating on the brisket and thats it. You could add lemon pepper, onion powder or garlic powder if you want a slightly different flavor profile.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:37:18 AM »
Does anyone use a drip pan to catch juices when doing Briskets?

Thanks Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
You also are using rub which probably has salt. As you know, Greg, the time spent in brine and the time spent after injecting also contributes to the saltiness. You might consider cutting the stock, and moores with half water. Maybe only use half the au jus also made with water. This way you can still get the flavor of everything with less salt. I think your rub has minimal salt, so I would load it up with rub to get that great bark. Just my opinion. I don't like over salted meat and have become very aware of the ingredients and salt content.

You could also cut it with apple juice.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:50 AM »
You also are using rub which probably has salt. As you know, Greg, the time spent in brine and the time spent after injecting also contributes to the saltiness. You might consider cutting the stock, and moores with half water. Maybe only use half the au jus also made with water. This way you can still get the flavor of everything with less salt. I think your rub has minimal salt, so I would load it up with rub to get that great bark. Just my opinion. I don't like over salted meat and have become very aware of the ingredients and salt content.

You could also cut it with apple juice.

Hey Arnie,

I decided I needed to taste test like I do when I cook anything...

So I ran five tests and then did a blind test with my wife on the sauce:

Test 1- 1 T Au Jus + 1 cup Water
Test 2- 1 T Au Jus + 1 cup Beef Stock
Test 3 - 1 T Au Jus + 1 t Moore's Marinade
Test 4 - 1 T Au Jus + 1 T Moore's Marinade
Test 5 - 1 T Au Jus + 1 Cup Water +2 Drops Hot Sauce

End result was that the beef stock and the Moore's did not make the final cut for the sauce.

I ended up with the following that I will use for my injections:

4 Cups Water
4 T Minor's Au Jus Prep
1 T Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce.

I have still not decided on the brine, thinking about that.... :)

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
Good for you guys. It's great to have the partner involved. You folks obviously take cooking seriously. That was a great taste test and you probably have decided on a tasty solution...all puns intended. Apple juice is always a good substitute for water. A touch of sweetness and a hint of flavor.

Have a fantastic smoke!

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
I used Divots brine and thought it was great. I use tender quick not #1 cure.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:51:40 AM by Barrel99 »

Walt

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
Dont skip the brine! The brine & injection combination makes the best brisket I have every had.  Be cautious about the salt with the combination but dont skip that step. I have never had a complaint about salt content. On your next smoke drop one (inject or brine) & compare. I have only brined & only injected but neither was near as good as doing both.   For those who havnt tried brineing & injecting, it really does elevate a great protien to something phenominal. It is the singular best thing I cook in the smoker, although my wife equally likes the smoked lobster.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
Dont skip the brine! The brine & injection combination makes the best brisket I have every had.  Be cautious about the salt with the combination but dont skip that step. I have never had a complaint about salt content. On your next smoke drop one (inject or brine) & compare. I have only brined & only injected but neither was near as good as doing both.   For those who havnt tried brineing & injecting, it really does elevate a great protien to something phenominal. It is the singular best thing I cook in the smoker, although my wife equally likes the smoked lobster.

Walt,

Thanks for the feedback, I will brine, but will cut back on the salt. Normally I use 8 oz of fine sea salt (3/4 cup) and brown sugar.

I think I will go with around 3 oz. of sea salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 t #1 cure..

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
Greg,

Beef brisket can handle a good amount of salt...lots of firm muscle tissue there.  I use my butt brine (which uses a cup of kosher salt), and injection that doesn't have much salt.  The key to brining is to thoroughly rinse the meat when it comes out of the brine.  A lot of people that find brined meat "too salty" skip that critical step!  You have to get all the salt off the surface of the meat.  The brine has done it's job, which is to modify the protein molecules near the surface of the meat, so no need for the excess brine.

I agree that the injection needs to be low-salt, but it's OK to have some salt in the rub.  No need to let the brisket sit overnight with the rub on, post-brining.  Just rinse, inject, rub and smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »
Greg,

Beef brisket can handle a good amount of salt...lots of firm muscle tissue there.  I use my butt brine (which uses a cup of kosher salt), and injection that doesn't have much salt.  The key to brining is to thoroughly rinse the meat when it comes out of the brine.  A lot of people that find brined meat "too salty" skip that critical step!  You have to get all the salt off the surface of the meat.  The brine has done it's job, which is to modify the protein molecules near the surface of the meat, so no need for the excess brine.

I agree that the injection needs to be low-salt, but it's OK to have some salt in the rub.  No need to let the brisket sit overnight with the rub on, post-brining.  Just rinse, inject, rub and smoke!

Hey Tony,

I just got done cleaning up the brisket and will brine overnight. Then pull tomorrow and rinse and then back in the refrigerator until I am ready to inject and then apply the rub. Most likely put this on the smoker tomorrow night before bed.

I will keep you posted and thanks for the tips!

Greg