Author Topic: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence  (Read 26390 times)

Carp210

Re: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 10:54:15 PM »
Did you return your auber probe when you swapped units?

No, I kept the fixed probe installed on the box.  I don't think it is bad.  Look at the first Auber log at the 1:15 mark.  Once the Auber was turned off and on again the readings look normal next to my Maverick.  I would think a bad probe would have shown up at that moment.   
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 11:28:10 PM »
Y'all may have read my issues with the Auber on a model 3 in another thread. I'm waiting for something much better and more reliable. My experience was horrible.

I am still interested in the heat meater.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Carp210

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
Dave, TMan (the other Tony) has a great point, and a logical assumption, especially considering this happens 40 minutes in.  I agree with you that the Smokinlicious wood is not likely to combust.  I have used it on several smokes now, without foil or "ramping" temperature up, with no problems at all.

This is what wood combustion looks like on a log sheet.  This was a rib cook from my first Auber and pay particular attention to the Maverick reading along side of the Auber numbers. You can clearly see what is happening inside the box as far as a temperature spike caused by wood burning.  I was inside the house when I noticed the Mav was above my target by quite a bit.  Had I been away from the house I never would have known this happened.

What you don't see is the Maverick and Auber temps being wildly different.  Yes the wood is burning but it is short lived and soon afterwards it settles and the Auber locks on 235 target.  As long as the Auber and Mav readings are close all is well.

DLRobinson

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
This is what wood combustion looks like on a log sheet. 

Wow, that is some "technical" BBQ.  Over the last 15 years, I have used the gamut of BBQ cookers from a WSM, offset smokers, BGE, Chubby, Ole' Hickory, smoke houses, trailer mounted reverse flow smokers, etc etc... with these kinds of smoking methods, great lengths are expended in order to minimize temperature swings to the levels that are being discussed here.  Just think about how many times the temperature plummeted during the pre-foil mopping days of BBQ.  With some larger smokers, its not enough just to try to stabilize the temperature but you have to know the smoker's "hot spots" and rotate the food to account for varying temperatures inside the smoke chamber(s). 

I think that technology has allowed us to monitor temperatures to levels that exceed the precision necessary for fantastic BBQ.  Spikes in temperature due to wood burning, or +/- 20 degree temperature variance early in the smoking process will have minimal impact on your final product.  I consider the most critical time for stabilized temperatures is when the meat temperatures are between 140 degrees F and 170 degrees F.  It is during this time that collagen begins and completes the transformation from being a tough fiber to a succulent gelatin. Slow and steady temperatures during this transition period is what will make or break the texture of the your meat. 

(My comments are not meant to minimize the concerns about an Auber PID holding set temperatures.  For the price we paid for these units and it seems reasonable to expect them to perform as advertised)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:40:27 AM by DLRobinson »
David from Chesterton, IN
Model #4  Auber 1503GPH PID

Trip

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:41 AM »
That 400+ degrees seems really high for combustion.  I have hit combustion the past few days playing with temps to see why I cooking as slow as I have been on almost all my cooks.  I am not reaching above 350, let alone well over 400, but I have a 3 so a lot less space in the 2 could account for the dramatic temp rise.

I am still interested in the heat meater.

You can buy built ones at auberins now.  There are people on the heatermeter forum that will build them for cheaper as well.  Love mine, it was nice to be able to check my smoke while I was at dinner with friends away from home.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:51:28 AM by Trip »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 10:34:19 PM »
I don't believe this is combustion.  And Dave, you are absolutely right about this being "technical" BBQ!  You do NOT "have" to have perfect +/- 1° temps to make great Q!  It's not an exact science, and a few degrees really don't matter!  The Auber PID provides more accuracy and control of the smoker, and 6 programmable steps for automation of the process, but it does NOT make better BBQ!  It's not about the end product, but rather the process.  Some of us like it, some don't.

With that being said, I believe the other Dave (Carp210) is just looking for an answer on why his unit is having this weird spike.  I've seen lots (and I mean lots of Auber issues), but this one has me a little confused.  There has to be a variable we're missing.  The first unit he had that did this checked out fine at Auber.  We're still working with Auber to try and find an answer.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Carp210

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
That 400+ degrees seems really high for combustion.  I have hit combustion the past few days playing with temps to see why I cooking as slow as I have been on almost all my cooks.  I am not reaching above 350, let alone well over 400, but I have a 3 so a lot less space in the 2 could account for the dramatic temp rise.

Trip,
Keep in mind that the 400+ that was showing on my Auber is not in any way the temperature inside the smoker. I wish I would have had my Maverick in the box then I could have shown on the video a side by side temperature comparison.  Also notice in the video the light for power to the heater is off during this climb.  If the power is off temp should have been dropping.  Maybe I'll catch it next time.

If I could hit 451 in 46 seconds just think of the crispy chicken skin I could make. 

TexasSmoke

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »
I just finished my second smoke since I installed my perm temp probe. The first was a brisket and the Auber locked on 225 and never budged. I did ribs today. This has always caused the Auber problems for me in the past.  Today was perfect. I never saw anything but 225 all day.

I did have a 30 minute ramp up to 140 then onto 225. I also put a single layer of foil under my wood.  I also used clean wood with no bark.  Hopefully future smokes will work as well.
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2015, 11:02:31 PM »

You can buy built ones at auberins now.  There are people on the heatermeter forum that will build them for cheaper as well.  Love mine, it was nice to be able to check my smoke while I was at dinner with friends away from home.

I just took a look and could not find the heater meter on auberins.com. Did I miss it?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Carp210

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:32 AM »
On their website put heatermeter in the search box.  They are currently sold, out waiting for a new batch to come in.