Author Topic: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence  (Read 26377 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
I think they just hate cooking ribs. Lol!

Please don't let yours talk to mine...mine loves 'em! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TexasSMK

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Dave, are you using the wall mounted temperature probe?  If so, do you have the right probe for your model controller?  I know the current wall mounted probe advertised on the Smokin-It store sight is not the right probe, according to Auber, for the PIDs they sell.  I posted the following under Auber Instructions:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.msg25125#msg25125
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:27:17 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
Dave, are you using the wall mounted temperature probe?  If so, do you have the right probe for your model controller?  I know the current wall mounted probe advertised on the Smokin-It store sight is not the right probe, according to Auber, for the PIDs they sell.  I posted the following under Auber Instructions:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.msg25125#msg25125

Dale, the one they sell is right for the model Auber they now sell.  You cannot interchange them; different plugs.  If he had the wrong probe, he wouldn't be able to use it.  The site has been corrected for awhile now:

http://www.smokin-it.com/PID_sensor_p/ws-sensor05.htm

Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 06:56:19 PM »
Well the good news is that with the smoke I did this weekend, the Auber worked fine. No alarms and controlled like a champ. Now I am confused. I hate gremlins.  :o
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »
I think I'll start a journal with rack pictures to see what if anything is common on the days it doesn't perform.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TexasSMK

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »

Dale, the one they sell is right for the model Auber they now sell.  You cannot interchange them; different plugs.  If he had the wrong probe, he wouldn't be able to use it.  The site has been corrected for awhile now:

http://www.smokin-it.com/PID_sensor_p/ws-sensor05.htm

Just reporting what I read in Auber site http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=99-- which is contradictory to what I see on the Smokin it site.  According to Auber Website the WS-Sensor11 is the right product for the PID I bought WSD-1200GPH, and the WSD-1500GPH.  I bought WS-Sensor11 for my WSD-1200GPH and have not had any issue to date. I will writer Auber to get a clarification.http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=447
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

TexasSMK

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 08:11:15 AM »
After re-reading and looking at the pictures--the photo of the sensor in the Smokin-it sight still has the part# for the WS-Sensor5--the picture appears to be of the WS-Sensor11.  I am tracking that if it plugs in it should work--probably has the 11.  I am out on this subject.  Best of Memorial days to all.

CUTiger80

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
I had some weird things with my Auber this weekend cooking butts.  First of all, I had (4) 9 lb butts in my SI#2.  Never done this many before and I was thinking that I might have "overloaded" it.  I was using both the permanent box probe and the meat probe.  I put the meat probe in one of the butts near the top and put my Maverick probe in one of the butts on the bottom and set the alarm for 165 deg (I wanted to wrap them at 165 and then finish the cook).  I clipped (with a small binder clip) the other Maverick probe to the top flange of the cooking grate support and angled the probe out into the box.  The permanent probe and the Maverick probe were probably 2-3" apart near the top of the smoker.  I set the Auber for 225 deg.  After about 2 hours, the Auber was reading about 205 degrees and the red lights on the Auber & the SI were on constantly indicating the the element was on constantly.  The weird thing was that the Maverick probe was reading about 245 deg.  I assumed that my permanent probe had become flakey.
According to the Maverick, the bottom butts reached 165 deg in 5 hours.  I pulled them all out and wrapped them.  I put the bottom butts on the top and vice versa.  This time, I put the Auber meat probe in one of the bottom butts and the Maverick probe in one of the top ones.  I set the Auber for 225 deg and programmed it to run until the meat temp reached 195 deg.  4 hours later this was the case and I took the butts out.
I then smoked some Mac & cheese and this time I put the Maverick probe through a ball of aluminum foil and placed it on the top rack.  This time the Maverick and the Auber were reading within a degree or two of each other.
This is not the first time that the Auber has seemed to work inconsistently.  When I first got it, it seemed to hold the temp within a degree or two.  The previous two smokes (ribs & salmon) the temp swing has been more like 10 degrees or so.
My plan is to remove the permanent probe from the SI, boil some water, plug the probe into the Auber and see if it is reading 212 (I'll check all of the probes including Auber meat probe and the Maverick probes to make sure that they are all reading correctly).  That way I'll know if my probes are accurate or not.
The next thing that I intend to do is put the permanent probe back into the SI and then do some test smokes with a "dummy load" of sorts.  What have you guys used for "dummy loads"?  I used a couple of concrete bricks wrapped in foil for calibrating the Auber.  Is there something that would be better?  Maybe a pan filled with wet sand?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »
Ravel, I believe you experienced what you did by overloading the #2.  First, 4 x 9 lb butts in a #2??  Wow!  They had to be jammed in there pretty tight!  I think you most-likely restricted the heat flow to the wall sensor.  You had 36 lbs of cold meat between the heat source and your sensor...that's a pretty big heat block!  Also, that much meat was probably crowding, if not actually touching, your probe! 

When you smoked the mac & cheese, it worked fine, right?  Have you ever experienced this on anything else?  Next time, do 2 smokes for that much meat, or handle it the way you did, realizing that everything has its limits.  That's a whole lotta butt in a #2! :o   No need to remove the probe and test.  You said it was within a degree of the Maverick on the M&C, right?  It's fine.  Just do a few more reasonably-sized smokes and see if it works like normal.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:08:42 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 07:05:05 AM »
After re-reading and looking at the pictures--the photo of the sensor in the Smokin-it sight still has the part# for the WS-Sensor5--the picture appears to be of the WS-Sensor11.  I am tracking that if it plugs in it should work--probably has the 11.  I am out on this subject.  Best of Memorial days to all.

I brought this up months ago? It still hasn't been fixed yet?

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2742.msg19722#msg19722

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 01:20:14 AM »
Dave-

Do you per chance plug your Auber into a GFCI electrical outlet? I have a HM PID and just found an issue resulting from ground loop noise affecting my PID probes. The HM creator just today created me a software fix to "cancel" out the noise and help my PID controller operate effectively. Just a thought of something to check.

Tony from Marion, IA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
Code here is that all outside outlets have to be on a GFI circuit.  So, the outlet that I plug into isn't the primary GFI but down stream in a GFI leg. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 09:22:02 PM »
Same here. I got my software fix from the HeaterMeter creator today and now my PID controller works like a champ! He was able to recreate my problem with a GFCI outlet at his house and that enabled him the ability to create a noise cancelling solution. I'm not sure Auber's have the same issue but I found it to be a very interesting problem.

Tony from Marion, IA

TexasSmoke

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 01:27:05 AM »
My Auber is still acting weird on ribs.  I was going to go without it today but went ahead and used it since I was going to be around to watch it.

It just does not want to get to temp early in the smoke.  I was set for 225 and it did not get there until the very end. I have a wall mounted probe on the way so I will be curious if this will fix the issue.

Here are the stats from today:
(3) racks in the smoker on shelf #1 & #4.  Probe was between the racks.

2:30pm / 84
3:30 / 194
4:30 / 205
5:30 / 221
7:45 / 224
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

CUTiger80

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
Tony,
I am pretty much convinced that I overloaded it, but only due to the quantity of meat.  Lately I have been using the Bradley racks to more easily move food between the kitchen and the SI and back.  (2) 9 lb butts fit on one rack and there was 2-3" between the meat and the side walls of the smoker.  I made sure that the meat was not touching the Auber permanent probe.  It was probably a good 3-4" from it.  The measured difference between the Auber probe and the Maverick probe is what concerned me.  However, as I said earlier, when I smoked the mac & cheese, the 2 probes seemed to track pretty close.
I would like to test the system without cooking some meat because I have had some strange things occur with a small amount of salmon (2 lbs. or so) and 2 racks of ribs.  Is there a proven or recommended "dummy load" that I can put into the smoker that will act similar to meat (at least for a few hours) so that I can run some tests to see if things are working as they should before I get ready to smoke something to eat?  In the past, I have used 2 concrete bricks that are wrapped in foil. 
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis