Author Topic: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence  (Read 26362 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Inconsistancy and lack of confidence
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »
I'm reaching a point of frustration with my Auber and how it picks and chooses which smokes to behave and which ones it seems to have a mind of its own.  Today, it is just flat being a PITA.  It is wanting to hold temps 20 degrees below the program set with 6 racks of ribs in the box.  If I increase the set temp by 5 degrees, the temp goes up 5 degrees but still holds - 20.  If it was 1 out of 10, I might just blow it off but I think I'm more like 3 out of 10 for poor performance.  Not acceptable IMO. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

coachB

Re: Inconsistancy and lack of confidence
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:52:49 AM »
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my original Auber.  Only did it on ribs ( no IT probe ).  Wouldn't come to programmed temp (20 degrees below).  That was when I did an autotune and had some very funky numbers.  Worked fine with probe 2 running but ribs--uh, uh.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:56:59 AM »
Must be moon phases. My Auber keeps flashing AL and AH with alternating temp at 300+. Of course I am trying to get a butt done. Having the bypass switch saved my proverbial bacon though.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »
What model are you using, Dave?  I have been using the old 1503CPH for a couple of years, and it performs absolutely flawlessly.  I have a 1200GPH also, and have noticed a few weird quirks with it.  I haven't seen anything like you're talking about, but it just doesn't seem to perform like the 1503.  The 1200 I have is one of the very early ones, and I had to manually reset the autotune when it completed.  I'm going to put the permanent probe in my Model 1 and really dig into this unit.  I'm not sure what Auber changed in the programming, but they need to go back to what worked with the old model.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
The sticker says, 1500GPH. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
OK Dave, so it's the 4th generation model (the new one).  I thought it probably was, but wanted to confirm.  Does it only do this when using one probe?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »
I put the second probe in yesterday to see if that made a difference and it didn't.  If there is a commonality to the weird behavior I haven't figured it out yet.  As I mentioned above, just random.  When it works right, nothing better but when it doesn't, it really pisses a guy off. 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
I had weirdness on my 1200 this weekend too. Flashing AL and AH alternately with the box temp showing 309. Of course in the middle of a smoke. Haven't figured mine out either. Maybe next weekend.  :(
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 01:54:18 PM »
Bob, yours I can answer providing your box temp really hit 309.  The Auber has preset high temp limits and if you exceed them, the alarm goes off.  I discovered this when I inadvertently plugged the meat probe into the box probe port and it registered 230.  I think the high temp limit on the meat probe is set at something like 200. 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
If the box was at 309 I want to keep my 700w element!  :) I was getting these readings right after I turned the box on. I am wondering if I have a bad element. It is the kind that is in the box permanently so I hope it is not that. I don't want to take it back out and I will have some doubts on the longevity since it was a permanently installed sensor.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
Bob, when it started flashing the Alarm Low and Alarm High codes, and showing 309, did you try to unplug it and cycle the power?  Sounds like a computer glitch.  I remember Drippings (Jeff from Florida) with the same issue last April ('14) - he even video'd it.  Turns out, the Auber had to be replaced - not the sensor.  This wasn't posted - all PMs, but it was similar to what you're seeing.  You might PM drippings.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »
One thing that I thought was a little different in my smoke this weekend was the amount of steam coming out of the exhaust port.  I had a big tin of water on my smoke box lid and I thought I couldn't remember ever seeing that much steam come out.  The Auber seemed to be working at the very end of my smoke, about the time the water pan would have been empty.  So, I'm leaning on a theory that the high steam was somehow messing with the sensor.  I'm thinking I should try a dry, simulated smoke and see if the Auber behaves. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »
I usually see a lot of steam with ribs or butts, and have never had it effect the sensor, but a test is worth a shot!
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
Auber appears to be working just fine today with a butt in the box. I think they just hate cooking ribs. Lol!

es1025

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »
Technology has a mind of its own sometimes.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?