Author Topic: Whole lotta smokin' goin' on  (Read 7765 times)

RG

Whole lotta smokin' goin' on
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
I am doing an overnight smoke on one of the kegs as well as the Smokin-It. I had a big ole fresh ham in the freezer for an eternity, I took it out a week ago to thaw in the fridge and it's rolling on the keg.

I have a 13 pound brisket that I trimmed up, no injection, just a light dalmation rub. Got it going on the SI. I hope they turn out good. It's kind of a test. I've done one fresh ham on the keg before but I trimmed the skin completely off. This time I am leaving it on. I've not done a brisket on the SI yet so it's to be determined as well. I always inject briskets and always use a rub that has more than just S&P in it so we'll see!

Barrel99

Re: Whole lotta smokin' goin' on
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
Gonna be some serious eating at your house this weekend!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

RG

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:48:25 AM »
If it turns out to be edible there will be, lol ;D

1stlink

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »
Looking good Jason.. Will watch for the results which I'm betting will be delicious.  :)

RG

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
My Wife made me go ahead and pull the brisket off for a little breakfast, lol.

She asked where the smoke ring was (she's used to seeing it). She said that it didn't taste smokey but I can assure it was very smokey. My guess is that if she saw a smoke ring, she wouldn't have said a thing, lol. Maybe next time I do one, I'll inject it like I normally do and add a little pink salt.

I did notice that the flat was a little dry, I think I trimmed too much fat, lol. I have to say though, it was VERY tasty stuff. The salt and pepper rub is all you need, just like on steak. It was very peppery and I loved it!

Take a look for yourself ;)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
RG, it looks like you really gave that brisket a hair cut.  Did you go fat cap down or literally leave no fat in the meat? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Jason, look great to me. How did the ham turn out?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

RG

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
RG, it looks like you really gave that brisket a hair cut.  Did you go fat cap down or literally leave no fat in the meat?

I always do fat cap down, so that may explain why it looks that way to you. In my opinion that fat cap should always point toward the heat source. Personal preference, that's all. I've smoked literally a ton of brisket and it hasn't failed me yet doing it that way ;)

Granted, it's the first one ever on a SI but old habits die hard.

RG

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »
Jason, look great to me. How did the ham turn out?

I just took it off the keg. Smells great, looks great. I'll have to get back to you on the taste. I've got it in a towel lined cooler hanging out until later. Should be good though.

1stlink

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 05:10:57 PM »
That ham looks great Jason.
I'm curious, How did the brisket results compare  to your previous cooks on the keg and the treager?

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 05:36:56 PM »
Jason,

The brisket looks wonderful, congrats!

Greg

RG

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
That ham looks great Jason.
I'm curious, How did the brisket results compare  to your previous cooks on the keg and the treager?

It was delicious. I think that is was almost as good as the kegged brisket.  Really right there with it,  I was pleased with the results.  The Traeger does not do brisket as well as either the SI or the keg. If you were to wrap it,  it would be good but I like to judge based on not wrapping due to it having a better bark.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »
Nice job, Jason!  If you want that "faux" smoke ring on the brisket, make sure you add the pink salt to a brine, not an injection.  You probably know that, but thought I'd mention it, based on your comments.  You want it on the surface, not in the meat.

Did you do anything to the ham shank, like a cure or anything?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Tony, nope. I wasn't going after "ham" just smoked it like a butt. A lot of bbq joints smoke fresh hams instead of shoulders so that's what I did. It flat out sucked! I have done fresh ham before and it was good. I think it was just this particular cook that was the exception rather than the rule.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
Tony, nope. I wasn't going after "ham" just smoked it like a butt. A lot of bbq joints smoke fresh hams instead of shoulders so that's what I did. It flat out sucked! I have done fresh ham before and it was good. I think it was just this particular cook that was the exception rather than the rule.

Sorry to hear that!  I never like to see a big, beautiful hunk of pork get the "it sucked" comment! :(   Next time, just stick with the proven Boston butt, and do that big green ham right...cure it! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!