Author Topic: Auber w/Bypass Recipes?  (Read 9005 times)

1stlink

Auber w/Bypass Recipes?
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
My SI-2 is now modified w/bypass switch and I'm anxious to try it out. I have a 5 1/2 lb frozen chicken that wants to be smoked and I would love to oblige her and end up with a nicely browned and crispy skin. A 10 lb turkey is waiting in the wings (no pun intended)
I must confess that I haven't searched for a recipe since I figure most would be for low & slow smoking. Any suggestions/links will be appreciated..

Mods: I may have posted in the wrong section, if so I apologize and please move wherever..  :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:12:34 PM by 1stlink »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auber w/Bypass Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
...and I would love to oblige her and end up with a nicely browned and crispy skin.

Ralph, unless you use the jerky fan (check out crispy skin posts by paidin), a bypassed SI, alone, won't produce it - sorry.  Yes, you can go higher than 250, but by the time you get up to 325-350, your bird will be done. :(   Been there, tried that!  Paidin has good results by using the jerky fan - might want to check it out.  Crispy skin just isn't important enough to me to worry about it anymore.  When I finally ended the chase for it, I was so much more content. ;) ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and I will check Paidin's posts.  I do not have a jerky fan Yet!! Hmmm
 Crispy skin is not a dealbreaker though  and I may end the Chase also.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
Don't get me wrong, Ralph - I (personally) think chicken or turkey skin, smoked for full-length at 250, is really not that bad.  It's just not "crispy," like you would get on the grill.  Most of the time, my fam pulls the skin off anyways, so it's not a big deal.  Besides, my 200 lb Meathead (English Mastiff) considers it quite a treat!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:51 PM »
I did check out the crispy skin posts by paidin and have to give purchasing a Jerky Dryer some serious consideration. Hmmm :-\

Also I would't want to between Meathead and Anything that is edible!  ;)

paidin

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
One advantage to the bypassed SI is the reduced cooking times.  Low and slow is only mandatory for meats with lots of connective tissue.  You never need to go low and slow with lean meats such as poultry and lean meats.

Consider that your SI is now more of an outdoor oven than before except it has the ability to add flavor enhancing smoke to the cook and does not heat your house up in the summer time.

Even without the fan, you can have your chicken done in 1 hour and 15 minutes instead of 4 hours plus it will have a nice smokey flavor to it.  You cannot do that in a traditional electric smoker or in your house oven.

Heck, you can even bake a cake in it now if you want.  Considering that your Si is all stainless and insulation, I do not think you have to worry about melting it down given the size of your heating element.  I stuck a heat fuse in mine just in case it does get too hot.  I like your install by the way, looks very clean!  I had a heck of a time drilling one hole for the probe, I gave up on any other holes and ended up not putting a switch in.

paidin
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:55:05 AM »
 Thanks Paidin,  I was going for low profile and waterproof but this switch isn't really waterproof.  A little silicone may fix/be the solution.

I saw your heat fuse and fully endorse it's use as a safety precaution, excellent idea.

Bake a cake how cool would that be.  :D

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
Also I wouldn't want to get between Meathead and Anything that is edible!  ;)

Definitely not! :o   With 3,000 lbs of bite pressure, he finishes off a pork butt bone in about 15 minutes!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
Hey Ralph, where did you get that switch? That is a nice one...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

1stlink

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »
 I bought the switch on eBay   It is  backlit and waterproof but requires a Dremel tool modification to your smoker.
  Here is the link to my original modification which includes the eBay link. I actually have two switchs left over.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3232.msg25036#msg25036
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:36:27 PM by Ralph »

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »
Hey Ralph, I have the Dremel tool, looks like you just cut a square instead of drilling a 1/2" hole. But, I like the idea that it is waterproof. Thanks for the info, Also interested in using the side you did.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »
 The switch has a waterproof boot but you will have to add a bead of silicone  during the installation to make it totally waterproof.
 The Dremmel cut needs to be fairly precise as the switch locks into place  when pushed into the hole.  No screws or nuts are necessary.
 Good luck  👍

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:41:46 AM »
Ok does it come with a diagram for cutting the square or measurements? It is kind of crazy that you have to buy 3 switches. Thanks for the info have a good weekend or what is left of it.

1stlink

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 04:40:46 AM »
 Dimensions are listed on the eBay site I copied them for you here :

Mounting Dimension   3 x 2.1cm/1.2" x 0.8"(L*W)

elkins20

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
Thanks Ralph, will have to find a switch, may see if can find one locally.