Author Topic: Smoked Corn on the Cob  (Read 7780 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Corn on the Cob
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
Smoked Corn on the Cob
Gently pull back the husks on the each ear of corn. Remove the silk but not the husks. Place the ears in a large pan and fill with water to cover the corn. Allow the corn to sit for 2 or 3 hours to absorb the water. Remove from water and brush the corn with butter, sprinkle salt and pepper and then pull the husks back over the corn and use a tie at the top to keep sealed.
Set the smoker to 250 degrees using 2 oz. of wood (I like Black Cherry) and smoke for 2 hours.

The corn will after just the right amount of smoke and be cooked perfect.

Enjoy.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoked Corn on the Cob
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
Cool, Greg!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
Your making it harder than it has to be. If the corn is fresh chuck it in the top shelves and crank the heat. After a couple of hours, remove the corn. Place con on cutting board and slice of the bottom end. Make your cut high enough that you remove a kernel or two. the ear of corn will then slide out of the husk fully cooked without the silk. I did a post on it last summer but I cant find it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:05:27 AM »
Brian,

I will that a try my next smoke and see if I can taste any difference!

Thanks Greg

Carp210

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:25:04 AM »
All last year we made corn in the microwave, husk on 4 minutes/ear. Keeps all the flavor in and corn will stay hot for a long time.  We cut the base like Brian describes above and if done right the ear will slide out with no silk on.  I'm going to have to try it in the smoker now both ways and see for myself how Greg's method works.  Fresh picked local grown is the best. Rarely can store bought compare.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Try this easy method o make your summer corn last through the winter. Buy farm fresh corn at the peak of the season. Leave the husk on but trim excess stalk to make it uniform. Roll the trimmed ears in one sheet of newspaper. stack each like firewood in a brown paper grocery bag. Roll the top down on the bag and wrap it in duct tape to secure it.

No shucking, par boiling and other hassle, just fresh corn from the freezer with your Holiday dinners. We have two bundles left, one for Easter the other for Memorial Day.
- Sigmund Freud

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
Try this easy method o make your summer corn last through the winter. Buy farm fresh corn at the peak of the season. Leave the husk on but trim excess stalk to make it uniform. Roll the trimmed ears in one sheet of newspaper. stack each like firewood in a brown paper grocery bag. Roll the top down on the bag and wrap it in duct tape to secure it.

No shucking, par boiling and other hassle, just fresh corn from the freezer with your Holiday dinners. We have two bundles left, one for Easter the other for Memorial Day.

Neat idea, but I already have two reg/freezers, not sure the wife will let me get another one :)

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 10:35:38 AM »
Your making it harder than it has to be. If the corn is fresh chuck it in the top shelves and crank the heat. After a couple of hours, remove the corn. Place con on cutting board and slice of the bottom end. Make your cut high enough that you remove a kernel or two. the ear of corn will then slide out of the husk fully cooked without the silk. I did a post on it last summer but I cant find it.

I found your post, really interesting, I would have never of guessed doing this. I will give it a try my next time around!

Thanks Greg

Carp210

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:32 PM »

I have never heard of this method.  If it works as you say I will be a very happy guy with fresh corn all winter.  thanks fo the tip.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
The only complication might be a self defrosting freezer. We do not care for nor use a self defrost because they are inferior for quality long term food storage.
- Sigmund Freud

Carp210

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
Good to go.  Wife just said ours is non defrosting.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:45:50 PM by Carp210 »